Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Vitamin C Purge?

Hello! I was hoping you guys could help me figure out if i'm purging or having a bad reaction to the Drunk Elephant C-Firma Day Serum.  I started it on Tuesday, using it every second morning.  I have since broken out in four new pimples and one that was barely there when I started has come to the surface. 

I know that Vitamin C can cause a purging like this and I was just hoping for some help determining if that's what's happening.  I would really like to know before I use it for a month and totally wreck my face (it scars really easily unfortunately). 

Thanks in advance! 🙂 

Re: Vitamin C Purge?

Hello, I’m sorry that happened to you. I happened to me as well, my hairdresser recommended Drunk Elephant to me when they first started at Sephora, I tried everything and had same reaction. It’s my opinion that nothing from Drunk Elephant is good for Acne prone skin. Tatcha makes an oil free vitamin C serum that is both strong and gentle, also DDG vitamin C moisturizer is oil free and works for me.  Doesn’t cause burning or clogged pores. 

I’ve used several Vitamin C serums, including Cos Rx Lightning and the CEO Sunday Riley serums, which I love.  They leave my skin plump, soft, and glowing.  I tried the Drunk Elephant C-Firma serum  on 2 separate days and hated it.  It irritated and burned my skin with none of the things I like about Vitamin C serums.  Honestly the only Drunk Elephant product I like is the Marula oil.

I had an unpleasant reaction to this, unfortunately.

The description and reviews sucked me in so I purchased and was left with a face full of bumps and visibly clogged pores.

This was the only thing new in my regimen - I  was looking for a serum with a bit more brightening power and had been using Genefique for a couple of years and just wanted to explore... so I swapped out serums. Mistake! 

The pore clogging was weird, the serum color has a brown / orange-y tinge to it. Almost like self tanner. I'm very pale and could see the serum in my pores at the end of the day, after cleansing - , which took a couple of weeks to clear out. I do wonder if the brightening aspect is actually from the physical color of the product? 

If Vitamin C is ever deep yellow or brownish color it has OXIDIZED. WHATEVER YOU DO, DO NOT USE IT. Oxidized vitamin c serums DAMAGE your face. They don't only offer no benefits when they've oxidized but they cause damage at that point! BE CAREFUL even getting a sample of this from Sephora!!! 

I had a bad reaction to the C-Firma Day Serum too---it's funny because my skin gets along really well with all the other drunk elephant products and I use them regularly including the baby-face facial but using the C-Firma Day Serum gave me a bunch of little bump pimples which I have never had before. At first I thought it was purging but I eventually gave up it went on for so long.  

I start to wonder the same question! I've also started using the Drunk Elephant T.L.C Sukari Babyfacial once a week, TLC Farmboos Glycolic Night serum every other night and Vitamin C serum every night for two weeks now, I am having horrible breakouts!! I am not sure which product is causing this massive breakouts? 

I'd just stop using the products and introduce them again one or two weeks apart. It's likely if you went from no actives to three plus actives that your skin skin would get irritated by them. You'll need time to adjust but also introducing them one by one will let you see if there's one that's particularly irritating. 

I've been using Sunday Riley's vitamin C product (CEO cream) for the last couple of weeks and definitely had a huge, cystic pimple after a week and a half or so of use. While I have oily, acne-prone skin, big painful pimples like that are not common for me. But since it's healed, haven't had any more - so long answer to your question, but yes, it really does seem like regular use of a vitamin C product may cause some initial purging. Good luck!

Thank you for addressing this!! I am starting with Sunday Riley’s vitamin C soon (also oily & acne prone here) 

@LovePlaid i had a major reaction to the firma c, it caused itching and breakout immediately, and i rarely break out anymore. i believe it's the marula oil, as i tried a sample of that alone and also experience itching and breakouts 😕 i have used several other vitamin c serums (deciem, ole hendrickson, paula's choice) and had no reactions. hope this helps!

Im also curious on peoples thoughts about the same brand and how my face is reacting. I have been using all drunk elephant products for a week and a couple days now and have had one super mumbo jumbo zit show up on my cheek/temple. They never get this big and sore lol but it's also the only one which has showed up (other than a few on my jaw/chin, my period is due to show up in a couple days).  Does this seem sorta normal? Ive been using literally 90% of drunk elephants products haha so I suppose it could be the vit c serum or maybe the night one? 

IMG_0584.JPG

I hadn't had a pimple in maybe 5 years, the first two weeks of starting the drunk elephant products (I only introduced one at a time). I got about 2 big painful pimples a week.

After those first two weeks my skin has never looked better and the pimples are gone. They appeared in zones that were really bumpy before so maybe it was resurfacing or something, now the skin in that area is smooth. I usually get a dark spot where the pimple was but not this time.

I would give it another try one product at a time.

Good luck!

I bought the full size of the Vitamin C from Drunk Elephant and when I use it I do get breakouts. I couldn't return it since I do not live in the USA but I must say this doesn't work for me. I don't believe that it is purging because even if I use the product intermittently I still have the same reactions. I also have a lot of dark spots left behind from acne. I bought this based on all the rave reviews for this vitamin c.

Gosh! I've the SAME reaction. I am about to return the C firma. But I think the Glycolic and marula oil is good so far. 😞

I just tried a vitamin c sample I got and within 2 days had red splotches on my face.  I stopped for a few days, my skin cleared up, and then I tried again.  Red blotches.  So in the trash it goes.  I don't understand this purging concept (yes, I've read all about it so understand the idea; but it still makes no sense to me).  If your skin reacts badly to a product, especially if you scar, why use it?

I try tons of different skin care and rarely get "purging".  Certain ingredients will predictably lead to irritation (for my skin).  AHAs and some vitamin C irritate my skin, leading to deep bumps, that never "purge" but rather continue over time.  I (sadly) learned the hard way before I became more careful.

Personally, I don't use products that irritate my skin.  I don't give them a month.  With so many great and non-irritating products available, I'd rather not subject my skin to that test.

I completely agree!! There's so many other products that I can use that don't irritate my skin 🙂 

Hi LovePlaid,

Vitamin C products can certainly cause purging - this has happened to me with some vitamin C products as well, although not DE's Day Serum in particular. A red flag for noticing if a product is actually irritating you and not just purging is if you're noticing pimples somewhere that you normally don't break out. If you normally break out in your t-zone and notice new pimples in this area the pore was likely already clogged and the serum is just speeding up the process. If however you never break out on your cheeks and suddenly notice a break out, I'd probably just discontinue using the product. When a product is irritating and not purging you'll usually notice more intense acne, whether it's more inflamed or painful than you'd typically experience.

It sounds like you haven't been using the C-Firma Day Serum for very long, I do suggest using a skincare product for at least a month if you can but I totally understand your hesitation! I'd suggest at least giving it another week or two to see if your current acne begins to turn over or if the reaction builds overall.

Kindly,
Nika
17 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos1
  • IMG_0584.JPG
testing