Answer
rockaholic
Terrible acne

I have terrible acne, i used proactiv for years with no results, and NO over the counter medicines work, do you have any products that might help me?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 17
Jillie
Answered

I can totally sympathize with you, I know what its like to have bad acne (I have "severe acne" and get cystic acne). I have used almost every brand out there from super cheap to ultra expensive. I have been to the dermatologist and have been on tons of medications that don't do a thing for me. The only acne kit that I have ever purchased that has worked wonders on my skin is Kate Somerville's 9!! Kit it is hands down the best acne kit I have used. It is expensive but to me is it absolutely worth it. The other thing I suggest that doesn't come in the kit is Kate Somerville's EradiKate which is a spot treatment and it is the only spot treatment I will continue using (it is $22). 

I use to get breakouts all the time and I can say that I have not had a severe breakout for at least a year now. I of coarse still get the occasional blemish but nothing that isn't under control within a couple days. I absolutely LOVE this kit and recommend it to anyone who suffers from acne. I havn't had a cyst (cystic acne) since I was 18 and I am now 21.

Also, I know it is expensive but if you can afford it get the Clarisonic. It cleans your skin/pores thouroughly and I think with the Kate Somerville Kit and this face "brush" it has transformed my skin. I absolutely LOVE my Clarisonic and I think it an amazing product. It does not state that it will cure acne or get rid of acne BUT I believe it certainly has helped my skin and my acne just by how much it cleans my skin. 

I hope this helps and Good luck! 

P.S You can also find all of these products at Sephora!

fashionflaw
Answered

By the way! I want to get back to you about the Clinique Pore Refining Serum! IT IS AMAZING! helped get rid of acne and made my skin look flawless.... It's great at controlling oil, and it has really helped my confidence! so if you were even considering it, I'd try it!

:smileyvery-happy:

jleonette
Answered

I began using Dr. Dennis Gross skincare products for a couple years now and they are amazing. Not cheap, but worth every penny. My acne is totally under control and my skin looks really good.

strmysony
Answered
(0) Hearts

Look for products based on your type of breakout, for example Eradikate by Kate Somerville (mentioned by another vib) is good for whiteheads and raised pimples. Other products are better for blackheads and under the skin or cystic acne (Mario Badescu buffering lotion). Try getting a variety of samples from sephora, after asking staff about your particular skin.

Many people prefer to buy a kit because they often contain a cleanser, toner, treatment and moisturizer. These products are designed to work together and can be more effective. On the other hand, your skin may need different products, for example dry breakout prone cheeks, a richer moisturizer vs. an oily t-zone requiring a mattifying moisturizer. It really depends on your skin and what it needs. 

With that in mind, try samples of the kits as well as individual products and develop a routine that works for you.

lytise
Answered
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi Rockaholic!

I do agree that Lush products are good. I have purchased other things from them, but not the facial items. You should try Mary Kay's Acne fighters set.

beebrunet
Answered
(0) Hearts

LUSH's products are a great price! That's one of the things i love about them!

Natural, no animal testing,great results that ALWAYS work and NEVER wreck skin, great price, and fun to use!

adrutter
Answered
(0) Hearts
I feel for you. I am in my mid twenties and acne has been a problem since hitting puberty. I find the important thing is to find a good skin care regiment. The problem is that a lot of over the counter products or even ones from the doctor are very harsh and drying. You want to find a face wash and lotion that does not dry out your face, which will only cause your face to create more oil, hence more break outs. I totally stay away from toners and products with alcohol. I am using Origins Zero Oil and it is so soft and soothing to the skin and it does work for me. Next, I make sure I use a moisturizer, then an oil controlling primer that is water based, and completely avoid make-up products with oil in them as well. Water-based products are the way to go. Too much or too little oil on oily skin types and it is mayhem.
janalee2013
Answered
(0) Hearts

@ beebrunet I've been using Clinique's acne solutions and I found it drying at first so i switched moisturizers and it hasnt bothered me since. I think it has helped a good bit. Are LUSH products good? how expensive is it?

beebrunet
Answered
(0) Hearts

No offense meant to any one, especially you, tenngal. But, rockaholic, PLEASE, if you do anything, DON'T use the clinique's acne solutions!!! I'm a teenager who had acne on my forehead for a while. So, i gave clinique acne solutions a try. Well... it wrecked my skin and made my skin flabby, wrinkly and dry. It COMPLETELY WRECKED my face! It was SO DRYING! And I have super oily skin everywhere, so i was really surprised that it actually dried out my skin to the point of it peeling and flaking! Could you imagine what it would be like on combo or dry skin too? YIKES!

So i hope you really don't try that! It took 2 month for my skin to actually look young and my self again!

So, i highly recommend more natural products to combat acne. Go to a LUSH store near you and get a free skkincare consuktation{only takes 2 min.} I'm personally using aqua marina cleanser, tee tree water toner and enzymion moisturizer and my skin has never looked better. It's healthy, glowing and just beautiful. Please if you listen to anything i say, don't get the clinique acne solutions, i had acne and it wrecked my skin and will do the same to yours if you use it. Go to LUSH please!

Hope this helps, i want you to be happy eith your skin too! :smileyhappy:

cherrybombtastic
Answered
(0) Hearts

I agree with the person about over drying your skin. Take a break from the salicylic acid and benzyl peroxide treatments and get a cleanser with natural salicylic acid, such as Ren's acne cleanser. It might not be a miracle cleanser by any means, but it's not drying at all and if you really have big pimples, use spot treatment instead of applying treatment all over your face. And now that summer will be coming soon, start using an oil-free, lightweight moisturizer instead of a thick cream. I would also stay away from any products with sulfates and menthol in it. Those ingredients dry out your skin. Hope this helps!

matcha
Answered
(0) Hearts

I had horrible acne as well.  Turns out I was over-drying my skin, stimulating my oil glands into working overtime.  Oops.  I find Paula's Choice to be the line that works best for me.  I use a gentle cleanser with a salicylic toner treatment with occasional benzoyl peroxide spot treatments. 

I love my Clarisonic Mia!  I would keep that in mind for sure!

Also, make sure your makeup isn't breaking you out.  Tarte is the best makeup my skin has had on it! 

katie1724
Answered
(0) Hearts

If you have had persistent acne for years, especially cystic acne -- have you seen a dermatologist? Sometimes tough cases are best left to physcians -- you may find a good (prescription) solution, which will save you time and money -- not to mention stress to your skin from trying all of these different products! Retin-A, Differin -- even Accutane can work when nothing else does. If you don't have insurance, a dermatologist visit + prescriptions can be expensive, but probably not as expensive as all of the products added up over years. If you do have insurance, most plans will cover dermatologist visits (my own plan even covers prescriptions). I think it's definitely worth checking out -- sometimes prescription medication is the best way to go (it may not work for everyone, but I certainly think that it can).

tiffanybt
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi rockaholic. Clinique is a great brand to start with because it's perfect for all skin types and also at a great price point. If you find their products don't work for you, here's other brands that may also help:

Bliss No 'Zit' Sherlock Complete Acne System - http://bit.ly/eYVie8

When used regularly, it can help foil future flare-ups. Formulated with salicylic acid to break up dead cells and oil, plus probiotics like yogurt and meadowsweet extract to boost skin's natural defenses against bacteria, it leaves skin soft, fresh, and in the clear. Case closed!

Ole Henriksen Oily and Combination Blemish Prone Skin Starter Kit - http://bit.ly/dH8sbk

When faithfully used in conjunction, these products deliver optimum calming, purifying, and refining results as they embrace your skin with vitamins and botanical ingredients such as aloe, chamomile, and alpha hydroxy acid complex. Each product feels sensational, smells wonderful, and is a pleasure to use every day.

Hope this helps!

tenngal
Answered
(0) Hearts

I would try Clinique's "Acne Solutions" line of products.  They make some great skincare products (I love their foaming cleanser) and I will list a few below:

You can get the three above items in a set together to try out (and save money by getting them in a set) called "Acne Solutions Clear Skin System Kit" and you can find it at:  http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P188308​&categoryId=B70

Acne Solutions even makes a liquid foundation, concealer and other makeup products also.  The Acne Solutions products are gentle on sensitive skin, too.

I hope this helps you.  :smileyhappy:

tiffanybt
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi rockaholic. Clinique is a great brand to start with because it's perfect for all skin types and also at a great price point. If you find their products don't work for you, here's other brands that may also help:

Bliss No 'Zit' Sherlock Complete Acne System - http://bit.ly/eYVie8

When used regularly, it can help foil future flare-ups. Formulated with salicylic acid to break up dead cells and oil, plus probiotics like yogurt and meadowsweet extract to boost skin's natural defenses against bacteria, it leaves skin soft, fresh, and in the clear. Case closed!

Ole Henriksen Oily and Combination Blemish Prone Skin Starter Kit - http://bit.ly/dH8sbk

When faithfully used in conjunction, these products deliver optimum calming, purifying, and refining results as they embrace your skin with vitamins and botanical ingredients such as aloe, chamomile, and alpha hydroxy acid complex. Each product feels sensational, smells wonderful, and is a pleasure to use every day.

Hope this helps!

sephoramusthave
Answered
(0) Hearts

Acnetix

fashionflaw
Answered
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Wow! I've had the same problem! I've used Proactive for about 3 years now and give up on it. It would go in waves sometimes of helping a bit and then nothing at all. I actually recently tried a sample of StriVECTIN intensive moisture for wrinkles and stretch marks. It's quite pricey but actually made my skin feel softer and cleared a bit of simple, small, acne. (it's an amazing AMAZING product though, I'm buying it the next chance I get!)

I have ordered the new Clinique Pore Refiner, and I'll let you know how that goes. I've just begun looking into other products like you are, so this is new to me too. I did look into some of Murad's products, but felt I might get the same result as proactive.

So thanks for posting about this, I'm excited to read some replies, as they'll all be a big help to me too!

Question Stats
  • 17 answers
  • 9 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • katie1724
    • Jillie
    • adrutter
    • strmysony
    • sephoramusthave
    • matcha
    • cherrybombtastic