Tea tree oil for acne?

drrragon

Tea tree oil for acne?

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone here has actually tried tea tree oil for acne?  How did you apply it, and did it work for you?  I've been really curious about it as I've never tried it before but have heard good things.  But it's also confusing because I'm not sure how much you're supposed to use, is it for all over or just a spot treatment, etc.  I bought a little bottle of 100% tea tree oil but it seems like you should dilute it with something else first?

Would love to hear any experiences people have had with tea tree oil!

drrragon

Re: Tea tree oil for acne?

LOL!  RIght around the time my Free Money arrived, I had started on this effort to stop buying so much beauty stuff, so I haven't spent it yet.....waiting til I actually run out of skincare first before buying more....it's REALLY hard to hold off!  It just doesn't seem right to use up my Free Money on staples like socks or underwear.....

crayzeeRN

I have used the Body Shop's Tea Tree Oil line for probably 2-3 years now and it has drastically cut down on my acne. None of their products are 100% though, so it doesn't have quite as much of a drying effect, and you can use them for your entire face (toner, wash, lotion, mask, etc).

xpap

I love tea tree oil and have grown to love the smell (my gf hates it!) Definitely beware of over-using it as it can burn your face. When I was a teenager I used 100% tea tree oil on my face without following up with a moisturizer and my skin got really irritated... I shudder to think about how harshly I treated my face back then -- rubbing alcohol, no moisturizer or SPF, washing 3+ times a day, using super hot water... ahh!!.

What I like to do now is put a drop of tea tree on a cotton pad then apply my toner to the pad (I use Korres Pomegranate Toner). I use this over my whole face and follow with serum then moisturizer. I've seen good results with this method. I use it twice per day but I would recommend starting out with just once per day depending on how sensitive your skin is.

Good luck!

thetRuth

I got 100% tree oil from a local drug store. Its really good . It can really dry your skin though. I apply it with a Q-tip. 

First I wet it with water, dip it in the tree oil and apply it where ever I need it. (usually my chin) and wala the next morning its cleared up! 

aviscardi

[ Edited ]

If i get anything on my chin or whiteheads/blackheads that mark.... i can't not touch it lol. so i take 1-2 drops of tea tree oil on a cotton pad/ q-tip and just press it into the area. i do this nightly until it goes away

krunce

Nice! I used to use tea tree oil on my skin. I bought something that came in a roller ball. I stopped using it when I realized that, on the one hand, the roller ball was applying product to my face, adn on the other hand, sucking in a bunch of dirt and dust. After about a week, the contents of the product looked like a breeding ground for bacteria, and now I hate rollerballs, lol.

Don't ever apply an essential oil directly to your skin. Essential oils are the product boiled down to its most potent point and it's too intense for your skin. Look up recommended dillution ratios online and do that. From there, you can use it as a toner, a mist, or if you're intent on only using it as a spot treatment, you can dip a q-tip in there and apply to parts of your face.

Tea tree oil is a powerful antibacterial so it will work on acne bacteria as well. It smells a bit strange so if you don't like it, you might want to only use it at night.

citygirl66

If you get distilled water and put it in a misting spray bottle and add a few drops of tea tree oil, it makes a spray that will help control oil.  

Play around with how many drops you use, start with 1 drop per ounce use it for a week or so and see if it is effective, not causing problems, etc.  Then you can add more if you feel you need it.  I'm using about 2-3 drops per ounce and it works well for me.  I keep it in the refridgerator which gives it a calming benefit if you have any redness.

Sulfer is still the best thing I've found for actual blemishes, this is more of a preventative treatment.        

cherrybombtastic

I tried it a long time ago when I first started getting acne as a teenager. I could have been using it wrong, but my acne was so much worse. My face was oily and my face stung from the oil. I used it during the daytime, so maybe it was something that was more suitable at night? Tea tree oil is tea tree oil, but maybe in conjunction with other ingredients it balances out the effects. I know The Body Shop had a collection with tea tree oil, but I'm also skeptical about all natural products to help with acne. I have yet to see that have an effect on acne, other than with REN, but that doesn't contain tea tree oil and I had inconsistent results. I hope this helps and good luck!

makeupobesessed

I tried almost every oil, and while they haven't broken me out, they didn't help my acne situation.  it did make my face feel and appear soft if I applied it at night awoke the next data.

sephoramusthave

I did and it broke me out so I cant recommend it but I do understand that different things work for different people. I also dont like the smell. To me, it smells similar to eucalyptus bath salts, which I also dont like.

ht2luv

I have used it for cystic acne and it worked well. I applied it directly to my skin and I didn't have any problems. Although it isn't supposed to be applied directly to skin. I would put it on before bed. The smell is not great, but weirdly enough after using it for awhile, I started to like it!

Spyski

I have not tried the oil, however I have gone through a bottle of tea tree toner from LUSH. I did have acne that would pop up whenever I was "about to start", and even though it was mild for sensitive skin it definitely did work! I would give the  oil a try for sure.

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

drrragon

it's "Desert Essence" brand tea tree oil, and the ingredients label says 100% pure melaleuca alternifolia (tea tree) leaf oil.  It also said to dilute with water or carrier oil, which got me a bit worried since it didn't say how much to dilute it.  :smileyhappy:  I'll try the q-tip thing on a small area first, thanks!

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

lylysa

Plus one on the use of carrier oils!!!! For using pure essential or treatment oils on the face like tea tree, the potency of the oil can be quite high and lead to mild irritation if not diluted and made a tad "softer" for introduction on the surface of your skin.

Carrier oils act as a buffer and cushion to still allow for the active oil to be delivered into your skin but not so harsh.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 36 replies
  • 48 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • sephoramusthave
    • cherrybombtastic
    • carrierose
    • aviscardi
    • melissabt
    • drrragon