drrragon

Tea tree oil for acne?

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone here has actually tried tea tree oil for acne?  How did you apply it, and did it work for you?  I've been really curious about it as I've never tried it before but have heard good things.  But it's also confusing because I'm not sure how much you're supposed to use, is it for all over or just a spot treatment, etc.  I bought a little bottle of 100% tea tree oil but it seems like you should dilute it with something else first?

Would love to hear any experiences people have had with tea tree oil!

carrierose

Re: Tea tree oil for acne?

This has already been answered in great detail by a lot of people, so I won't go into too much detail, but I use it on my skin added to my Josie Maran Argan Oil and as a spot treatment in its full strength on a really tough pimple.

I also use it in my natural cleaning solution and in my son's cloth wipe solution...it's a great thing, TTO, but I still can't stand the smell! :smileytongue:

drrragon

(0) Hearts

thanks carrierose!  in what proportion do you add the tea tree oil to the Josie Maran?

carrierose

I have the middle sized bottle, 1.7 oz, and I put the TTO straight in there because I don't use the JM for anything but my face.

I used the dropper and just put two "fills" of the TTO into the bottle...my dropper doesn't pick up more than an inch of product so it wasn't too much.  I can't even estimate how much of a proportion that is because I use a dropper-ful each night and have for over a month and the thing isn't even down 25%.  I don't really have any true measurements or reasoning behind it.  It smells like TTO when I put it on my face, that's for sure!! :smileytongue:

drrragon

yup that sure is a strong smell!  luckily it doesn't bother me too much (smells a lot better than some vitamin C seums that's for sure), I've been using a single drop in my nightly moisturizer.

thanks for the info :smileyhappy:

drrragon

hey everyone, just wanted to thank you all for sharing your tea tree oil ideas and experiences with me in the thread!  It's all been really helpful advice.  I decided to mix a tiny drop of pure tea tree oil with my nightly moisturizer and see if that can take the place of my benzoyl peroxide.  I've tried it 3 times so far and no irritation yet.  

melissabt

@drragon. I've used it before also on blemishes. It has natural anti bacterial properties and helps dry out the blemish. I use a q-tip to apply it. All around I was pretty happy with the results. It also tingles a bit.

<3 Melissa
triciaann12

[ Edited ]

-

drrragon

aw thanks triciaann, that's so nice :smileyhappy:  I haven't really worked it into my routine yet.  I had some Josie Maran Argan oil lying around so I mixed the two and then applied with qtip as a spot treatment 2-3 times, but nothing dramatic happened.  

I also tried the Desert Essence cleanser with tea tree oil in it, which I think must've been irritating for my skin because a few days after that I had a bunch of new small pimples all over :smileysad:  I'm not totally sure it was the tea tree though, because I also started using face primer regularly for the first time so it could have been that as well.  So just waiting for everything to calm down again (for some reason my skin has been pretty angry lately, maybe spring allergy season) before giving the tea tree oil another try.  

There are lots of great suggestions in this thread so hopefully I can find something that works!

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

drrragon

thank you so much, that's very sweet of you!  I try to stay positive and think of it all as a big research experiment. :smileyhappy:  With skincare the "control" scenario is always the hardest.  Will keep you guys updated.

colorobsession

@ drragon - I've personally found that Tea Tree Oil works wonders for blemishes. I had previously always defaulted to benzoyl peroxide to clear up a pimple, and I found that the tea tree oil was much less irritating and drying for my skin. As a reference point, The Body Shop sells tea tree oil in a 5% dilution. I do like that product as a spot treatment, but I think my absolute favorite is Grease Lightning from LUSH. It has several other herbal ingredients along with tea tree and works fantastically for angry skin.

drrragon

@colorobsession -- yeah I definitely need to keep trying, because while benzoyl peroxide works for me, I'm so tired of the bleaching of my sheets and towels!  thanks for the tips!

carrierose

Oh I totally hate the bleaching...I stopped using it because of that.  My pillowcase, the tops of my PJs, my hair towel, ugh!

colorobsession

@drragon - I hear you on that one! I had so many sets of sheets/pillowcases that got horribly discolored from my acne medications...It was basically awful. So when I switched to tea tree oil and other natural treatments I was really happy to not have that issue anymore.

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

drrragon

[ Edited ]

p.s. poor you and having FOUR simultaneous teenagers!  that must have been difficult!  but hopefully somewhat humorous in hindsight, at a safe distance of years..... :smileyhappy:

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

drrragon

ok now I feel bad because me and my 3 siblings didn't stop being grouchy and moody to my parents until they were in their 60s.....but i'm VERY NICE to them now, LOL!  

drrragon

[ Edited ]

ooh, i definitely have to look into that!  I have a ton of free money from Macy's Thanks for Sharing holiday program and have been planning a Clinique haul, so that's getting added to my list! :smileyhappy:

That's so interesting that it's not just BP but the formulation too that can affect how much ruined bedding we end up with....

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

-

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 36 replies
  • 48 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • sephoramusthave
    • cherrybombtastic