From makeovers to personalized skincare consultations

Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Tarte Maracuja Oil: Can't tell if I'm breaking out or my skin is purging!!!

Hi all, I recently got that awesome Tarte Mother Nature's Miracle Discovery Set and I've been playing around with all the products. My skin has been breaking out, but I'm not sure if it's purging due to the new products or the products don't work for me. I have a history of cystic prone acne but the past year my skin has been amazing, so I wasn't too concerned at first. I've read that the maracuja oil is incredible for acne prone skin so I'm not sure what's going on! Other than the small breakouts, my skin feels velvety soft and softened already. I really want to keep using this product, so if anyone has had a similar experience, I'd love to know!

Re: Tarte Maracuja Oil: Can't tell if I'm breaking out or my skin is purging!!!

Purging only occurs with actives and exfoliation. As none of the products in that kit fall into those categories, you are seeing a reaction to the products themselves and should discontinue.

Now, if you started using them all at once, after a few weeks, you could go back to trying each separate item one at a time to see which one specifically triggered your breakouts. Then you will know to discontinue that item and may be able to continue using the others. It's always best practice to trial new skincare products one at a time for a couple of weeks before introducing something else new so you can check for bad reactions. 

If I were using retinol as @greenchilli mentioned, or an acid that was a bit stronger than I'm typically used to, I will take a break and reintroduce slowly.

If an oil is making you break out, it's probably not the right type of oil for you. Oil in general can be beneficial to acne-prone skin, but the trick is finding one that works for your skin.

I have used the maracuja oil before and found it too thick and it did not absorb well. My skin was combo normal/oily in t-zone when I was trying it out and I'm not acne prone.

At this time I don't think adding in another product to combat the breakouts is a good idea, it would make "troubleshooting" whatever is causing your breakouts more difficult. Discontinue the maracuja and see if it solves the breakout issue. Give it a week or two. If the breakouts don't go away, try discontinuing another product. I would choose the cleanser in that set as the next product to cut out.

I kind of have an obsession with testing out new skincare products and I can tell you definitively that even when a product is awesome and works extremely well with my skin, I still break out on around the 4th day. it's like clockwork lol.

I personally would push forward and try adding in something to combat the acne as well (ie a clay mask here and there). this works for me; it may or may not work for you. but in my experience, it's the only way to really know if a product works or not.

My face hates change, so I nearly always break out the first few times I use anything. I've been using Tarte Maracuja oil regularly for over a year now, and I haven't had a problem since then.  If your skin doesn't normally react that way to new products, I would discontinue it.

How long have you been using it? I like to use face products for a few weeks to make sure its not something else in my life causing a break out (like dehydration, stress, etc).

Skin doesn't purge though.

@4fevriers

I would stop using the products immediately.  There is no such thing as purging, unless you are using retinol.

not all products suit everyone unfortunately.  I remember trying the Josie Maran Argan oil once and my skin hated it.

Time to move on.  

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing