bmtodd

Suggestions For a Acne Prone Morning and Night Skin Care Routine??

(0) Hearts

One of my goals this year is to have a better skin care routine. I want and need to take better care of my skin, especially with my acne getting worse. I am looking for products that aren't too expensive that work well with acne prone skin. I also want to prevent any aging and other skin problems. So what I need help with is what products would you recomend and in what order would I use them for morning and evening.

These are the products I currently have: Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture Combination Skin, Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub Oil-Free, Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne elimination Spot Gel, Neutrogena Oil-free Acne Wash, Neutrogena All-in-1 Acne Control Facial Treatment, and Cetaphil Oil-Control Moisturizer W/SPF 30.

If you recomend something better than what I have I would gladly try them out. I just recently started using some of these products, but I am not sure when and in what order I should use them. So any suggestions will be taken!

Thanks!

~brittney

drrragon

Re: Suggestions For a Acne Prone Morning and Night Skin Care Routine??

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

I used to use the Neutrogena Oil-free Acne Wash (pink grapefruit) also.  My skin is very acne-prone but also very dry at the same time, and would often get red, irritated, and itchy.  It was so upsetting to have to deal with so much all at once.  Then I decided to switch to a fragrance-free cleanser (I chose CeraVe) and just that one change made a huge difference.  No more redness and irritation, which meant no more yucky flaky patches!

Sometimes fragrances (either artificial or natural) can cause irritation and dryness in sensitive skin.

Looking at your product list, this is the order you should use them:

1. Neutrogena Oil-free Acne Wash (I'd recommend finding something less irritating to your skin though)

2. Neutrogena All-in-1 Acne Control Facial Treatment (Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Stress Control 3-In-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment, if you can find it, is much more effective)

3. (night) Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture Combination Skin

3. (morning) Cetaphil Oil-Control Moisturizer W/SPF 30

Neutrogena Deep Clean Gentle Scrub Oil-Free - use once in a while.  Different skins tolerate different things.  I never use scrubs as my skin gets irritated very easily, but some people may be able to use them daily.  Try once every couple of days first to see whether it causes irritation.

Neutrogena Rapid Clear Acne elimination Spot Gel - use as needed only as spot treatment.  This one contains a lot of alcohol though which is very irritating for skin.  You might actually look into a product containing benzoyl peroxide rather than salicylic acid for spot treatment.  There are plenty of good ones at the drugstore, like Clean and Clear PersaGel.

kate1421ss

(0) Hearts

Your skin is stressed out. I went through this. You have destroyed your moisture barrier, and your skin is probably red, irritated and enflamed? So here is what I did.

La Roche Posay Toleraine cleanser in the morning, and Effaclar at night. I only used the acne cleanser at night three times a week. Effaclar duo for breakouts, and Toleraine Ultra over that as a moisturizer. The big secret is Hydrocortizone cream. This works and you might look like a crazy person, but I promise. For a big zit you can see or is about to come up, take a glob of Hydrocortizone 1% cream (no aloe or any added ingredients) and cover it with a round band aid sealed on all sides. Go to sleep with it on, and the zit will be gone or 85% gone! When I am going through a breakout, I do my regular cleanse and moisturize, do not scrub when you are breaking out, and rub a thick layer of Hydrocortizone cream all over your face. It works!

bmtodd

(0) Hearts

Thank you all so much for you responses! I truly appreciate it! I have continued to use the products I have and it seems that they are drying out my skin very bad. It has even made the edge of my lips dry which is so uncomfortable. I dont know if I should continue to use them since I have only been using them for about 5 days or if I should change it? I know that it takes up to a month for things to start kicking in. Does this also mean that I may have sensetive skin? Thanks!

lreagan

(0) Hearts

If your current products are drying out your skin, stop using them and throw them away. They will only make your skin drier the more you use them. You may be having a reaction to the ingredients, so I STRONGLY recommend investing in a skincare line that uses natural ingredients and is geared for sensitive skin. I talked about Boscia's products in my first response and I stand by them. Just switching to a good quality cleanser cleared the acne I've had for YEARS in about 2 weeks.

MoreGun89

(0) Hearts

I agree with a previous poster on looking at various products which are all natural, that's step 1. 

I've dealt with acne since I was a kid, I'm 23 now and I had to make some changes for it to finally clear up.  For example, one thing I've learned and has worked, is shorten your skin care routine to a bare minimum, sometimes the problem is that you are overwhelming your skin with too many products or by constantly switching up products.  

Switch to a gentle cleanser, this will both clear your pores and keep them from getting irritated.

I do enjoy toners, but they aren't necessary.

For a moisturizer, I recommend an anti-aging moisturizer if you want to use a cream.  Otherwise I've been using maracuja oil on my face in place of it, not only does it brighten dark spots from the acne, it also somehow tames it a bit.  I should mention my skin is oily, and it still helps!

Makeupwise, don't clog the pores if you can avoid it, try to wear lighter foundations if you can, this will help to prevent clogging.  

If you must use a mask, I recommend only once a week usage, and ensure that it is a gentle one.

So far this has helped my complexion a lot, granted it may be a little more than you want to spend on some things, but it at least has worked in my case!

aniadraws

(0) Hearts

Look at products which contain natural ingredients. You are probably having allergic reactions to artifical fragrances other ingredients.

Keep the neutrogena deep clean cleanser & spot treatment and add jojoba oil as a moisturizer (it does wonders for acne) I would also recommend a serum which contains vitamin c and also glycolic acid cream.

DO NOT wash your face twice a day. That is too much, you are stripping your skin of the oils it needs. Wash once at night and apply these products before going to bed (sleep on your back) and most importantly wash your pillowcases more often, think about it. All those oils from your skin are getting into the material and it builds up and creates more bacteria aggravating your skin. I hope my advice helps. If you have any more questions feel free to send me a message ^_^

lreagan

(0) Hearts

Hi Brittney, I'm 23 and recently made it my goal to spend a little bit more money and time taking care of my acne prone skin because I was tired of it and no drugstore products ever made a difference.

I highly recommend Boscia's skincare line. They use all natural ingredients with no perfumes or preservatives that would irritate already sensitive and irritated skin. Best of all they are relatively inexpensive compared to other high end products.

This is my morning routine:

1. Boscia Clear Complexion Cleanser: http://www.sephora.com/clear-complexion-cleanser-P199612?skuId=1227909

2. Murad Clarifying Toner: http://www.sephora.com/clarifying-toner-P4015?skuId=654236

3. Murad Skin Perfecting Lotion - Blemish Prone/Oily Skin http://www.sephora.com/skin-perfecting-lotion-blemish-prone-oily-skin-P4050?skuId=654301

My night routine is almost identical, sometimes I use a heavier moisturizer because I have combination skin that will sometimes get dry patches due to weather or hormonal changes.

1. Boscia Makeup-Breakup Cool Cleansing Oil - I love this stuff to take off my makeup, especially heavy waterproof eyeliner and mascara. It's super gentle and way more effective than standard makeup removers http://www.sephora.com/makeup-breakup-cool-cleansing-oil-P254604?skuId=1227891

2. I follow up that with my regular Boscia cleanser to get any makeup residue and deeper bacteria out of my face

3. Murad toner

4. Same Murad moisturizer, if I have some dry patches I'll use a heavier night cream, like Boscia's (did I mention I love this line?)

I hope that helped!

cslevine

(0) Hearts

Brittney,

great goal. wish I knew your age range. I have struggled for years with acne ( from 15 to 30) and combination skin ever since since and now just worrying withdry skin. I have been using a product line from La Roche Posay called Efficlar. Not as expensive as Clinique, not as inexpensive as Neutragina -. I would keep the Cetaphil, I have used the Efficlar foaming cleanser ( not a soap) and the Efficlar duo - dual action acne treatment (at night only). I may sound like a commercial for this company's products. Just started using them 2 months ago with the same determination as you. The results for me have been great. I started by going to my local CVS pharmacy and getting samples, and then ordered online from Amazon. There is a moisterizer with a anti sebum (thats the stuff that clogs the pores) ingredient but I have yet to use it. The acne medicine has cleared the blackheads and I believe is keeping them at bay because they are not coming back.

Best of luck

Carol

bmtodd

(0) Hearts

Carol,

Thank you for your reply. I am 22 years old. I have heard about La Roche Posay, good things. I may try them out! There is just so much out there to chose from! I go to CVS or Walgreens and I just stand in front of all the facial things staring at them all. I just dont know what to get or use! I also just recently invested in a Clarisonic Mia. I havent received it yet but I can't wait to try it out. Thanks again for your advice.

yuliya1

(0) Hearts

I'd suggest using very minimal products, especially if you're prone to acne. I too often have bad breakouts, but i've learned to take care of them by using only one or two products. In the morning, I wash my face with Neutrogena Oil-Free Face Wash; it has chamomile, which creates a ver y nice smell, and it really gives me a fresh-feeling face. In the evening, before I go to bed, I like to wash my face with one of two soaps: Neutrogena Facial Cleansing Bar, or, Purpose Gentle Cleansing Bar. Both clean the face from any oil and makeup, which really are the main sources for breakouts. 

So my advice is to just keep it very minimal. The more products you use, the more chances you have of breaking out or having irritated skin.

Best of luck!! :smileyhappy:

manorexico

(0) Hearts

A lot of those products you mentioned are really harsh on the skin. I use clinique liquid facial soap followed by clinique clarigying lotion, then argan oil. Dont let the "oil" scare you it is actually really good for your skin! 

http://www.sephora.com/liquid-facial-soap-P139000?skuId=899070

http://www.sephora.com/clarifying-lotion-3-P122881?skuId=1295716

http://www.sephora.com/argan-oil-P218700?skuId=1121797

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • kate1421ss
    • drrragon
    • MoreGun89