Answer
tartey
Skincare HELP!! acne prone, dry skin, sensitive.
[ Edited ]

I've been breaking pretty bad lately. I now have one huge scar on my forehead from a huge pimple a few weeks back. 

I have dry, acne prone skin that tends to break out more in the winter. 

I'm trying to make my skincare routine flawless. So far, I'm using:

NIGHT TIME ROUTINE-

-Philosophy Purity Cleanser

-Clinique 7 Day Scrub Cream

-Clinique Mild Toner

-Korres Yohgurt Mask/ Cream

-Clinique All About Eyes

-Murad Spot Treatment

DAY TIME ROUTINE-

-Korres White Tea Gel Cleanser

-Clinique Mild Toner

-Clinique Moisture Surge Moisturizer

-Clinique All About Eyes

I feel like I have a good routine, I also do  masks and special treatments quite frequently. I use the Boscia Black Mask 2x a week, and the Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask 2x a week. Where do you think I could improve on? 

I mostly breakout on my forehead, but recently a little on my chin and inner parts of my cheeks. I only get a few spots, not a rash of breakouts. 

Are there any products you'd recommend for me? I also have one pretty red scar from a pimple a few weeks ago... do you think it will go away on it's own... or do you recommend a certain product? I can't understand why i'm constantly breaking out!!! I drink tons of water, and never drink sodas!! I'm 17 by the way, do you think it's just darn hormones?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
prosarab
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi Tartey,

OK I totally hear your frustration and know it can be quite annoying to have those breakouts. Been there and it's no fun:smileysad:. Good news is, there are definitely tons of products that can help. Now to start, looking at your Day and Night skincare routine I would say you are probably doing more then you need to, and that can definitely be a reason for the breakouts. Sometimes less is more, and even though masks and exfoliators are meant to clear the skin, if they are over used your skin will react and break out. Unless you are using a gentle exfoliator, you should only be exfoliation your skin 2 to 3 times a week. So that is the first thing that I would recommend for you too adjust in your Night time routine. What concerns me to is that you are using toner both morning and night, and that can be super drying to the skin, and because of the alcohol your skin can be producing extra oil to add moisture, however using a toner can create a barrier and not allow your natural oils to come to the surface of your skin, so that is where you can create breakout. 

Definitely look into using a different cleanser. Purity is great removes make-up, but that's it. And you need something that is going to clean dirt and bacteria and treat acne prone skin. Murad is excellent and works. It doesn't remove makeup so you can either use it after you remove your make-up or use it in the AM. The Korres Yogurt mask is also an excellent mask, but again it isn't meant for the concerns that you have. Look into masks that have Sulfur or Glycolic, they will help to treat the acne, the scars and dry skin.

Now as far as moisturizers go, the Clinique Moisture Surge is wonderful and definitely helps to hydrate the skin. And its oil-free which is a plus.

My best recommendation for you, is to start to eliminate some of the products you are using, and also instead of exfoliating every night go to 2 to 3 nights, And only use one mask a week. Try for one week, to not use a toner. You might see a difference. Also change up some of your products and look into products that will treat all your concerns. In addition to that be consistent with your routine, which I am pretty sure you are:smileyhappy:. The minute you see results, that means your skin is adjusted to the products and likes them. So try to stay consistent and not change it up. Of course once you have treated your skin, and it's clear then you can stop using Acne products and maybe only use them once a month(Hormonal), or when you have a breakout. I really hope this helps, and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best,

Sara B

Sephora Pro Artist

REN Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask, $55

DDF-Doctor's Dermatologic Formula Sulfur Therapeutic Mask, $40

Murad Clarifying Cleanser, $26 - $35

Murad Acne Complex Kit ($100 Value), $60

I highly recommend this kit, it really works. It's simple and you dont need anything else.

Question Stats
  • 4 answers
  • 3 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • antie96
    • cherrybombtastic
    • prosarab
    • tartey