Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Skin is very oily and red in t-zone but I notice it's also very dry and flakey when I try and wear makeup, WHAT'S UP?

Are the products I'm using causing this to happen? My routine: (AM) Ceramic Slip cleanser, La Roche-Posay thermal water, Good Genes Lactic Acid, PTR hyaluronic cloud cream for moisturizer. (PM) Ceramic Slip cleanser, Thermal Water spray, Paulas Choice BHA liquid, Good Genes (sometimes at night) PTR hyaluronic cloud cream. HELP HELP HELP? I have very consistent acne prone skin around the chin and jaw line as well as enlarged pores and lots of black heads along the nose right now. Here are some photos of my skin without makeup and what it's been looking like recently. One in the AM and one right before I went to bed.

Thanks a bunch!

IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2730.JPG

Re: Skin is very oily and red in t-zone but I notice it's also very dry and flakey when I try and wear makeup, WHAT'S UP?

You're so pretty! But I think you're doing a lot of stuff to your skin, which may not be for the best. Ceramic slip is pretty drying, and might be contributing to flaking/oil overproduction.  Good genes is a nice treatment, but in my experience it is really unkind to inflamed skin.  I would save that for when you get to a maintenance regimen and want to add something for extra exfoliation. 

If your face were my face, I would look for a super gentle cleanser to start. This thread recently had some good suggestions from one of our resident experts:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Stories/Skincare-101-Discussions-Questions-and-All/td-p/271...

Next, I would do one treatment and only at night. When I've been broken out in the jaw area it's usually hormonal - you may have to track it for a while to know. For me, a gentle glycolic acid has helped clear things and head off breakouts. Pixi Glow Tonic is a nice gentle one, as are FAB pads. Resist the urge to dry out your blemishes, that will only slow your recovery. If your breakouts are cystic then glycolic acid may not be the best, I can't tell from your pictures.

You are are probably on the right track with BHA for the blackheads on your nose. Following that (on unbroken skin) with a clay mask and oil cleanse may help extract gently. 

I hope you get a few other opinions - if not, post in the thread I linked above!

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
Photos2
  • IMG_2669.JPG
  • IMG_2730.JPG
testing