Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Sensitive, combination, acne-prone skin with hyperpigmentation - Help!

I have sensitive, combination skin with a lot of hyperpigmentation from acne scars (no texture) and have been breaking out really badly on the lower half of my face for a few weeks. I ran out of the skincare products I was using and bought new EVERYTHING (cleanser, toner, moisturizer,serums, foundation,primer, etc). I've been using Glamglow facewash (white bottle, mud to foam), Ole truth serum, Strivectin eye cream (even though I'm 20, I want to prevent wrinkles. Lol), and a combo of Yes-to-cucumbers and Yes-to-cotton moisturizers after using witch hazel as my toner before the serum. Some nights I use the Sephora overnight mask or Estee Edit night moisturzer, and I use the Ole pore sauna scrub weekly along with different charcoal/acne masks. I use Too Faced born this way foundation over MUF Step One, and sometimes Dr. Brandt pores no more but I thought it irritated my skin. I don't know where to start fixing my skin. Help!!

Re: Sensitive, combination, acne-prone skin with hyperpigmentation - Help!

Sounds like you're getting some hormonal breakouts. For me - those are triggered by dairy and the sprung up out of no where in my 20s. Stress could be a trigger too. Kind of a guessing game for each person to figure out what could be the culprit

GlamGlow pulls dirt to the surface and in my opinion, doesn't really wash it away. GlamGlow makes me break out. Charcoal acts in a similar way, so that could be it too. If I do a charcoal mask, I try to do a cleansing or exfoliating mask afterwards anddddd then a hydrating mask.

With acne, people can be scared of hydration, because we immediately think to dry it all away. If you look for a light & hydrating moisturizer, that could help to soother your symptoms too. I suggest:

http://www.sephora.com/balanced-pore-perfecting-water-gel-moisturizer-P409600?icid2=people%20also%20...

I have very similar skin as you. I just purchased the PMD Pro after saving up and I am looking forward to seeing what it can do for my large pores, acne scars, & hyper-pigmentation. 

http://www.sephora.com/personal-microderm-pro-blue-deluxe-kit-P414720?skuId=1894229

I also agree to take a new product process slowly. Finding a new product takes time to narrow your needs, preferences, read reviews, compare other products. Keeping an eye on samples and promos is a great way to sample to new items

Try a facial too! Always good to get a good cleaning 🙂

Good Luck!

FAB products are good for irritative skin and also Boscia for cleansing. Try those. I also have a very sensitive skin. I find serums to be little harsh on me. Try Glamglow hydrating mud and sleep overnight once in a while. Light moisturizers in the morning like Fresh super 7 or Tatcha water. Try glamglow duo at night too. 

The worst you can do for your skin, when it's not in normal condition, is to go out and buy ALL the things then try ALL the things on at same time. Some of the products you mentioned are formulated more for oily skin than combination skin, and some should be more of a substitute for each other rather than be used together, which is what makes your skin irritated and sensitive.

Before your recent breakout, did you use any new products or change your routine? If not then hormone and weather change may also be responsible. The rule of thumb is to try ONE new product at a time for at least 2-3 days, then add/substitute another so you can isolate what works and what doesn't to prevent irritation.

Your skin could also breakout due to irritation. I recommend going back to the simple routine with gentle/basic products you know for sure works (gentle cleansing, moisturizer that keeps your skin hydrated but not greasy), then add Truth Serum for a few days to see how your skin feels (more sensitive? fine as usual?), then try your charcoal/acne mask etc.

This x 10000.

I'd slow down on the new products- you aren't able to tell what's working/what's not. I know it's tempting to try all the things when your skin isn't perfect, but resist.

I love starting with the products you know, then Truth Serum. The Witch Hazel may be way too strong for your sensitive skin.

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing