Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Reducing redness from tretinoin

Hi!  I've been using Retin-A for 6 months now, and my face is always so red.  Does anyone have suggestions for how to treat and reduce the redness?   It's the only side effect that I am still experiencing with tretinoin.

Re: Reducing redness from tretinoin

Hi I've been using tretinoin for almost a month now and I have acne galore , redness , foundation makes me skin dry and horrible looking. My skin looks the wors it ever has. Does it get better or should i quit using it ?

Hi!  I have been using tretinoin for ten years now and I have some good advice.

If you can, try using an oil cleanser instead of anything that might strip your skin.  At the very least, switch to a super gentle cleanser. Also, make sure to dry any moisture off of your skin before applying the gel.  

The biggest and best thing I have learned is to put the gel on AFTER I put on my night cream.  This makes a giant difference.  The gel immediately dries out your skin if you put it on before the moisturizer.  I put on a night cream, then I put the gel on and gently mix it in to the cream already on my skin.  Since I've been doing this, I never have red skin.  I used to ALWAYS have red skin. 

Change your pillow case often.  I only sleep on each side of my pillow once, then I change the case.  I've found that if I sleep on it multiple nights in a row, I get sort of burned on the sensitive parts of my face, like my eyes, nasal folds and my neck.  Changing your pillow often also helps reduce acne.

The last part is that you should never wear the gel during the day.  The gel makes your skin sun-sensitive, so wearing it during the day will make you get a sun burn.  Always wash the gel off in the morning after sleeping, then be sure to wear sunblock if you are outside much or live somewhere very sunny.

I hope this helps!  I've had amazing results using this gel and my skin looks great for 42.

You may need to use less often. Do you allow the skin to be completely dry before use? Is moisturizer used after or before tretinoin?

The PTR mask is soothing, keep cold for extra refreshng or use aloe.

Pure Marula Oil

Hi @CorinneRose ! In general I use the PTR Cucumber mask to reduce redness from dermatitis, sunburns, or product irritation. I burned my face pretty badly with a mud mask and the cucumber mask fixed it overnight. Maybe it would work for you?

@TrysBeautyItems and @ShannonAlexis I purchased the PTR Cucumber mask and love it!  Thanks for the recommendation!

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing