cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Recommendations Please!

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for acne cleansers, creams, etc. for teenage skin.  I suffer from breakouts all over my face- mostly small bumps and some scarring.

Re: Recommendations Please!

ole henriksen skin care is so good!

The balance or truth line i think will be the best for you. 

balance for the acne and truth for the scares 

Also there transferring moisturizer i think would be good for you! 

I encourage you to read Paula Begoun's Beauty Bible; it will demystify a lot of information.  To start out:

1. cleanser - use a liquid one (not bar soap; not anything with menthol or fragrance); I like Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser

2. mechanical exfoliation - Neutrogena has a lot of good options; search beautypedia.com for the best options; I really like Philosophy's Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash, but it's abrasive and you need to use finesse with it

3. BHA - only Paula's Choice makes good ones; most of others have it in too low concentrations or inappropriate ph levels; you may start with the 2% gel; I like the 9%.  The site often has sales, and search retailmenot.com for promo codes; you can also buy samples on the site

4. Retin-A - worth every penny.   Just start slow.  Apply every three days, then every two, then every day.  Take it easy with the exfoliating/BHA when using this.  Moisturize with CeraVe PM; neosporin for stubborn dry areas (use a teeny tiny amount; Target has cheap but effective knock-offs)

5. Oil blotting - absolutely essential; Target makes great inexpensive blotting sheets.

6. spot treat: Clean & Clear Persagel for pimples.

Good luck!

Hi @itsvictoria,

Here are my recommendations: 

This gentle exfoliant is great for slothing off dead skin cells, which will help with absorption of any following products you're using to treat your acne. It's great because it's gentle enough to use daily, and I like using it prior to using the Kate Somerville Eradikate face wash. 

- Kate Somerville ExfoliKate® Cleanser Daily Foaming Wash

I have acne prone skin, and since I've started using this cleanser, I've noticed  a lot less breakouts! I might get a pimple every now and then, but I've definitely seen an improvement. 

- Kate Somerville EradiKate® Daily Cleanser Acne Treatment

For spot treating, I like using the Kate Somerville Eradikate acne treatment. Dab a little onto any pimple you have after cleansing and toning. I like to leave it on overnight since it's not something that's completely absorbed into the skin. 

- Kate Somerville EradiKate™ Acne Treatment

If you need a spot treatment that completely absorbs into the skin (because I'm sure you don't want to walk around with pink dots of Eradikate on your face during the day), then check out the Origins Super Spot Remover™ Acne Treatment Gel. This is great for layering under your everyday moisturizer and makeup. 

- Origins Super Spot Remover™ Acne Treatment Gel

For a toner, I like staying away from any products that contain alcohol, because they will dry the heck out of your skin! This Murad toner is gentle, will add moisture back into the skin, and will also balance your skin's PH level. 

- Murad Essential-C Toner

To moisturize, I suggest the Philosophy Clear Days Ahead™ Oil-Free Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment & Moisturizer. This light-weight moisturizer can be used day and night, and contains salicylic acid to help reduce breakouts. 

- Philosophy Clear Days Ahead™ Oil-Free Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment & Moisturizer

I hope this helps! 🙂

Cheers!
Nikko

Thank you so much Nikko- I will try these out!

Best Wishes,

Victoria

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing