Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|
Anonymous Insider

Oily, acne prone skin since quitting birth control. Skin regimen suggestions?

Hello! I have always had very oily skin (I can soak up 2 oil sheets and usually go for a 3rd by mid-day). I was on birth control for 10 years and recently went off of the pill. During the time I was on the pill I always used the Clinique for combination skin regimen with cleanser, toner, and moisturizer twice a day because I had occasional acne.

Since going off of the pill my acne has increased to the point where makeup isn't doing the job. It's definitely worse when I'm on my period, but generally I don't have a day where I don't have any acne. Right now I have cystic acne.

I tried the Murad acne solutions for 3 months and didn't see a difference. I recently quit that and started using Aveda, so right now my morning and evening regimen is just the Aveda foaming cleanser and their acne pads, along with the Clinique Moisture Surge, but no difference. I also use Origins Super Spot Remover.

Could someone recommend some better products that may help to clear my acne for good and to keep my oily skin at bay?

Re: Oily, acne prone skin since quitting birth control. Skin regimen suggestions?

I've been looking into going off birth control and I'm worried about breakouts because the whole reason I started birth control was to help with acne.

I've also heard that spironolactone is good, supplementing with a high quality zinc supplement and B vitamin supplement helps, and drinking warm lemon water each morning helps your liver detox from all the artificial hormones. Also, a healthy diet is important. Dairy and gluten can cause acne. Since your issue is most likely caused by your hormones adjusting after being artificially controlled for 10 years so you might just need to wait it out. I've read that it can take up to 6 months for your body to adjust and balance back out.

In the meantime, these are the products that finally got my acne under control. Maybe they'll help your skin too. They are very expensive, but so is going to a dermatologist...

Morning:

- iS Clinical Cleansing Complex $40

- iS Clinical Active Serum $130 (This stuff is AMAZING)

- Control Corrective Matte Day Cream SPF 30 $32

Evening:

- iS Clinical Cleansing Complex

- Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta peel extra strength $88

- iS Clinical Active Serum

- Resurface by Shani Darden Retinol Reform $95

- Control Corrective Oil Free Healing Lotion $29

Good luck! And if you're interested, I got my skincare routine by reading about Shani Darden's recommendations online. She is a celebrity esthetician who works with people like Jessica Alba and Chrissy Tiegen.

Re: Oily, acne prone skin since quitting birth control. Skin regimen suggestions?

If you are able to see a doctor or dermatologist, I would recommend dong that. I would ask about a persription retinoid. It should help with the cysts and the oiliness. They may recommend an antibiotic, as well, either topical or oral. You may need something stronger than what you can get OTC, unfortunately.

Since you just went off BCP, its the hormones adjusting to the normal state - before the BCP.

When I once was very oily, philosophy purity made simple rebalanced my skin.

I wouldn't get hormones check necessarily right away, as they still are fluctuating, but of course ask your gyno. I had mine check months after going off, for me it's not hormonal. If it is hormonal and your iron levels are good (not routinely checked either), ask about spironolactone its an potassium-sparing diuretic, helps oil and acne, others on BT have/are using/taking it - for me no need.

you might want to have your hormones checked. I went off my birth control last year and spent all of 2016 battling my skin. Finally a couple months ago, my gyno had my hormones tested which is what the issue was. 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing