Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Products for cystic acne?

I've been struggling with cystic acne on my cheeks and it's been driving me insane because it always leaves an actual scar no matter how gentle I am. While I know that products at Sephora can't help with physical scars, I do want to prevent the acne so I can prevent more scarring. Please let me know if you know of any products that work well for this type of acne! I have oily (stubborn, in general) skin and clogged pores here and there. I've heard of the Renee Rouleau Anti Cyst treatment being good but you can't buy that at Sephora.

Anonymous Insider

Re: Products for cystic acne?

I'm in my late 40's and I tried EVERYTHING for my cystic acne. It was mostly on my chin. I started using dermalmd acne serum and in less than a month I have clear skin. My acne was the type where all your face hurts and there was not rime or reason for it. I couldn't pin-point what was causing it. With the Tea Tree Oil Treatment from dermalmd not only my acne disappear, but there's no new blemishes. I'm using it twice a day (AM & PM), but if my skin starts getting somewhat dry, I only use it at night. little does go a long way, so it'll last a while.

I have been struggling with cystic acne for over 3 years I am 29 it has been horrible and just came about all of the sudden...Products I swear by that have been developed for this skin condition is Dermalogica Skin care Line, I use the Dermalogica facial cleanser for oily skin and toner (witch hazel by Thayers can be found at health food stores it is a great toner for Cystic acne as it dries out the cyst I use this at night 3-x/week especially if I can see a cyst forming under the skin) I use the brand Murad for my moisturizer.  But the #1 thing that prevents cystic acne for me and I do mean prevents has been a perscription medication Docycyclin the only downside to this is everytime I go off of it the condition comes back and I don't like the idea of having to take something like that forever but I'll take it over a cyst any day . Other tips - drink more water, eat less cheese/dairy, ice can reduce the size of cysts, little or no makeup if possible your skin needs to breathe to heal not be clogged or covered by concealor, not to mention if a cyst is exposed makeup can cause infection  taking longer for cyst to go away, and whatever you do DON'T PICK AT IT OR TRY TO POP IT! Last but not least a mixture of aloevera and a little tea tree oil on the cysts themselves speed up the healing process I do this at night if I have a breakout.  Hope this helps!

I highly recommend taking zinc supplements.  I know they don't work for everyone, but they cleared up my cystic acne pretty quickly.  Taking them has been a total life changer for me.

@mangosmoothio

I would look at acne holistically.  I sound like a broken record, but acne can't be treated unless you know what is causing it.

Do you know what is causing your acne?  Sometimes it may be a combination of causes as well.   If it is the occasional cystic spot or two at that time of the month, then you can treat it with something topical or through a more focused skincare.

Causes

• Hormones - if it is bad, check with your dermalogist
  • Diet - Food intolerances are common.  Dairy, sugar, starch.....they are common culprits. Sugar is terrible for the skin.  It causes premature aging, dullness, and blemishes.
  • Lifestyle - Stress and lack of sleep contribute to skin issues
  • Product issues - wearing makeup products that your skin reacts to.  Or sleeping with makeup/not cleansing properly.

If you have the occasional spot, I suggest focusing your skincare with

- regular acid exfoliation (will keep pores clean and prevent blackheads/zits)

- try a clarifying oil

- Make sure you are not reacting to makeup products.  Makeup by its very nature is clogging, it is just a matter as to what degree.

- spot treatment (Renee Reaulou is good.  Does it matter that it isn't available at Sephora?)

All the skincare and spot treatment won't help if the cause isn't addressed in some way.

I had to check to make sure since I get different types of acnes. The ones you are talking about are the big irritated bumps that are under the skin, a little too deep to respond to those acne-spot treatment, right? If so, there are a few things.

To prevent acne, you want to keep your pores clear with Origins Charcoal or GlamGlow Supermud masks that draws impurities to the surface. If those masks burns/irritates your acne instead, then go for a honey mask like Farmacy Honey Potion. Also, go for a gentle exfoliator with a chemical component (enzyme, lactic or glycolic acid that helps to dissolve the gunks in your pore). Physical exfoliators with big/hard granules can irritate/damage the fragile skin around the acne and led to scarring. Go for a gentle peel (Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta or Cane Austin Miracle Pad) or very fine exfoliator like Dr. Brandt Microdermabrasion or Tatcha enzyme powder.

To prevent/minimize acne scar/dark spots, go for a good vitamin C serum. Vitamin C helps with skin texture and pigmentation. I'm a fan of Ole Henriksen Truth Serum or Perricone Vitamin C serum. 

Lastly, hydration is important otherwise you will get breakout AND irritated flaky skin. Go for a lightweight gel cream with humectant like hyaluronic acid. I'm a big fan of Peter Thomas Roth Cloud cream, it feels super lightweight but is surprisingly hydrating. If you have painful red acnes/oily skin AND dry flaky patches like I sometimes get in the winter.....Karuna Clarifying sheet masks. After one use, my breakout already feels smaller/calmer/less irritated and it hydrates well without leaving greasy stuffy residue. 

It's a combination of the right product and diligence. Use masks/exfoliator 2-3 times a week but make sure your skin is clean and hydrated. Good luck!

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing