Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

PLEASE help - cystic acne on forehead for 3 months now (they heal but reform so it never clears up!)

this is my first cystic acne breakout - and it's on my forehead and going on 3 months now. 
Healing as it goes - and then new ones emerge overnight.

I've always been acne prone, and have a simple routine that helps any surface acne. 

I had my first cystic acne break out on my forehead/hairline (the ones that are big and deep where they take a long time to drain or shrink). I blame the period where I tried a bunch of new skincare, not remembering that my skin easily clogs (from thicker foundations too).

It's not folliculitis cause they don't itch, and they aren't milia cause I had milia my entire life and I know the difference.

Whatever exfoliation liquids or those "acne" pads I tried, they only irritated and made my bumps worse. And on top of that after 3 weeks, they gave me fine lines that I've never had before.

So I really don't want to use them anymore. But I still have no idea what these bumps are. 

I'm on my third month. JUST as my forehead starts clearing up, NEW ones reform.

My old simple routine that works with my dry dry sensitive skin:

Aveeno intense moisture overnight cream (this cream saved my dry dry flaky skin for years now with no problem)

bio oil for acne scars and rough skin

Products I've tried to use for this bad breakout and the current bumps:

Cosrx one step pimple clear pads (made it worse)

Sonoma tea tree oil serum (made it worse)

Arcona aftershave pads (I think made it worse)

Aloe vera Gel (I used for a little bit, but the formula has parabens)

Aloe vera leaves (wow it made me breakout a whole new fresh batch)

Paula's choice CLEAR regular strength exfoliating solution (honestly it gave me fine lines. stopped it immediately)
aztec clay mask w/ ACV (regulates it but is not helping)

Mario drying lotion, and drying cream help bring them to a head. but that doesn't stop new ones from forming.

Cosrx pimple patches (have worked very well to drain and bring some bumps to a head)

Please - WHY is it when I'm starting to see improvement and a smoother surface, NEW acne reforms and the process starts all over again? 

This is the first time I'm experiencing this type of acne and even my close ones are like "why isn't your forehead healing at all?"

I just bought probiotics today and hoping that it will work. But meanwhile, I really don't want to go to the term in case of any more "suggested" chemicals that will ruin my skin.

please please please

Re: PLEASE help - cystic acne on forehead for 3 months now (they heal but reform so it never clears up!)

thanks for everyone's replies 😞 

just as an update, I have tried one dermatologist for a little while, but it didn't do anything. 

On my 6th month of healing. Had several more waves of bumps come up.

since getting a new dermatoloist 3 days ago, the new regimen seems to be working (I feel no new bumps on my forehead, and my cheeks are slowly healing while purging as well)

What really worked in the meantime: Desitin!
Prescribed stuff I've been using for 3 days: Epiduo Forte and Solodyn

leaving this here! still have hope!

Anonymous Insider

Re: PLEASE help - cystic acne on forehead for 3 months now (they heal but reform so it never clears up!)

I'm so very sorry you have to deal with this. It is the worst. It is painful and makes one feel really self-conscious. I know! I have had bad cystic outbreaks for years now (a few times a year only) and have had some moderate relief via the Mario B Drying Lotion and Buffering Lotion combo. I also had some luck with CosRx Acne Pimple Master patches (not sure if you can find them but I believe they are a Korean brand). As other kind readers have said, the long-term solution is the dermatologist. I spent years suffering, trying all the peroxide ointments and over-the-counter remedies but it only made things worse.  Hormones play a big factor, and I couldn't control those. But a doctor can help you to get the cysts reduced with minimal damage to your skin and also they can recommend products not sold in stores. The product I eventually was given cost about $10 and really helped (it was an Azelaic acid cream). Save the money you are using on products and spend it on a trip to a dermatologist. Happy to give you any opinions on over the counter products if you mention some, though, as I have used them all.

I heard a lot of good things about Azelaic acid! I'll mention that to my new derm next month and see what he thinks (: Thank you!

I've never posted here, but saw the title of your post and wanted to help.

I had THE WORST cystic acne from when I was 16 until 24. I promise you... the only cure is to go to the dermatologist and get an injection. 

I believe the solution is just a diluted form of hydrocortisone, but I'm not 100% sure. But I probably had about 40-50 of these shots and they work almost immediately. It seems scary at first but I promise they don't hurt either.

I'm not sure what's causing them for you, and it sounds like it could be a weird anomaly that you aren't plagued by like I was (fingers crossed), but knowing how terribly painful, embarrassing, hard to cover, etc, they are, I think this is your best bet.

I ended up getting on accutane last year and it cleared them up for good.

Hi @mangobutter726, I'm sorry to hear this. While over the counter products can assist sometimes it's best to see a dermatologist and use over the counter products to help. I'd recommend visiting a dermatologist and maybe asking them what ingredients they think will work best with your skin. From there, we'd be happy to make some recommendations for you. (: 

XOXO,
Marieke
Anonymous Insider

Hi! I have combination skin, but I found instead of using salicylic acid (tends to dry me out so I dont use it often) I use benzoyl peroxide as a preventative and to help get rid of active ones sooner. I use clean & clear's persa-gel 5 (it's relatively cheap and available at the drug store) I hope it helps, it may be too drying but try using cerave pm moisturizer to help with that! Good luck 🙂

@mangobutter726  I'm sorry you are struggling with this, because it is difficult.  Whatever is causing your acne is still active; that's why you're still breaking out.  We have this struggle in our house, and a dermatologist visit was necessary.  I hope you get relief soon.

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing