celtc

Need advice for my sudden acne

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi! So about a month and a half ago I decided to invest in a Clarisonic Mia 2. My acne has always been mild, and I would only break out with one or 2 cystic acne about a week before my period (usually on my chin). Other than that I was pretty clear. I have oily skin, but also can be dry in certain parts of my face. So I guess I would say combination but more on the oily side.

I started using the Clarisonic, and I noticed that it made my skin dry at first but it did give me a nice glow.My makeup did go on nicely though and my skin was soft.  As for my acne  I began to notice more and more pimple appearing. Cystic and whiteheads. I read that there is supposed to be a purging period, so although I was concerned, I just figured that I was going through a purging period and decided to continue using the Clarisonic. The breakouts continued and I was starting to get really disheartened. I was using it day and night with the Clinique 4 mild cleansing facewash (3 step system) . After using it for 2 weeks I cut using the Clarisonic to only at nights..After about 2 more weeks of using my Clarisonic I decided to stop using it. I just could not handle anymore of my embarassing breakouts. I was so dissapointed and I do not know what exatcly went wrong. Most of my breakouts were on my cheeks and chin and they left terrible scars! I ended up returning the Clarisonic. 

Right now I have a couple of under the skin acne on my cheeks and chin. Any recommendations on what I can use to cover up these scars and acne without looking like a cake face? I'm Asian but I have a golden tan color, and my skin is oily and sensitive. Currently I use Bareminerals Primetime oil control primer, Bareminerals mineral foundation, Clinique Even Better Concealer. But I'm still not really happy with the coverage. I don't want anything that will make me break out more though..

I'm terrified about going outside in natural light nowadays because you can see everything. Any advice would be greatly appreciated...not just on what can cover my acne scars, but what can get me back to my usual clear skin!

aiobhan

Re: Need advice for my sudden acne

(0) Hearts

I agree that you are using it way too much and irritating your already angry skin. Use it once every 5-7 days or so, keep the MIA brush head clean with antibacterial soap, and ALWAYS use clean/disinfected hands/brushes/sponges to apply your makeup and moisturizer. Otherwise all you're doing is scrubbing down your skin and then putting more bacteria on it.

When you're not using your Clarisonic definitely invest in a good moisturizer/cleanser/spot-treatment system for every day use.

Good luck :smileyvery-happy: !

celtc

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the reply! I returned the Clarisonic because I realized it just wasn't good for my type of skin, and I used it WAY too much and now I'm suffering the after effects of it. I went to a dermatologist and now I'm on antibiotics and he gave me two different gels (differin and acanya). He said I can wear makeup over the Differin gel that I use in the morning. Do you have any recommendations on any foundations/concealers that I can use to cover up my acne scars? I'm currently using Bareminerals and Clinique even better concealer. I tried Cover FX but I wasn't happy with the coverage. I want to stay away from liquid foundation because I'm pretty oily and I heard it clogs pores...but any advice would be helpful. Thanks! :smileyhappy:

aiobhan

[ Edited ]

I hate foundations, personally, because it irritates my skin and makes me break out. I use Clinique's BB cream every day, because it only takes a little bit to cover my whole face and because Clinique's products have never irritated my skin. Sometimes I'll dust some Bare Minerals foundation over it for more coverage.

To cover up blemishes I use Bare Mineral's powder foundation and, using a concealer brush, pat some of the powder onto the blemish, then blend around it. Again, the Bare Minerals stuff has never caused any skin issues, so I trust it.

For heavier concealing I'd suggest Tarte's Smooth Operator Amazonian Clay Waterproof Concealer. I keep it in my purse for spot-concealing and dark circles.

Also, what lots of people with acne don't realize - get a good primer for under your foundation! It helps smooth out your skin and makes your foundation last longer. Bare Minerals has a great one - so does Stila. And don't use anything with shimmer in it around your acne. Find a good matte blush and bronzer (for contouring). Then, if you want to play with luminizer, get a liquid or cream and only use it where your skin is smooth (cheekbones, middle of forehead, etc).

:smileyvery-happy: I know that was a lot of info, but it's what I do and I've gone from having rosacea/scaly/oily/breakout skin to only a few blemishes occasionally and almost no redness.

Also, in regards to skin health in general - Drink lots of water, ask your doctor about taking vitamin E, and give your skin 1 day of no-makeup for every 3 days of makeup. Everyone at my work knows that I have a "No-Makeup Monday". People are REALLY impressed when you can be confident in your natural skin, especially when you're helping it become more healthy. :smileyhappy: Good luck!!

fuuhouhouji

To me it looks like you are over exfoliating your face. That’s pretty bad for an acne prone skin. Not matter popular knowledge mechanical exfoliation is bad for acne prone skin because it irritates skin and makes the pore more prone to infections, so what use to be a blackhead is now a cyst. 

About your acne try not to cover it, I know it looks terrible but you need to let it heal first. Believe me I know how you feel, I get my first pimple at 25 years old and from them it became severe acne that let lots of scars on my face. But once it heals you can do things to fade it, but if you try to cover, it would get worst. If it keeps getting bad, a visit to a dermatologist would be a good option. It may seem expensive but it would save you money on the long run.

About the clarisonic I wouldn’t use will on acne. Later maybe 2 or 3 times a week with the acne head brush and you can increase that if you tolerated it. If not then you may need to gift/return that clarisonic. Not every skin type can use it, but it may only be a wrong head brush (or a too old one) Also, remember you have to clean the head of the clarisonic, so it doesn’t harbor bacteria. 

Laurin88

(0) Hearts

First off if you have acne exfoliating your face daily is a bad idea. It causes tears in the skin to become more irritated, inflammed, and bacteria loves that!!! Use it once or twice a week. Use dove soap on your MIA. TAfter that use a salicylic acid toner. Then apply Clinique Even Better correcting serum, Even Better oil free moisturizer and there you go! If you wear foundation use Even Better foundation. Looks so natural and covers well! Even Better products helps acne as well as even skin tone in the process!

valentinamia

(0) Hearts

All skin types are different, but I wouldn't completely give up on your Clarisonic just yet! Make sure you have the right brush head for your skin type and maybe even try a new skincare line.  I recently started using the Murad acne line and it has been calming down my ace really nicely after only two weeks use...and I use my Clarisonic (with sensitive brush head) everyday! 

NDemjanjuk

(0) Hearts

certain clarsonic heads are only supposed to be used a few times a week. the deep cleansing ones sould only be used a few times a week but the gentle ones like acne head or the sensitive skin head which are softer can be used daily. so if your using one of the harsher heads it actually damages your skin more then it helps.

55looking30

(0) Hearts

I have used my Clarisonic for about 7 years.  After the first month of use I experienced breakouts on my face as well.  I found that the device was purging my skin of impurities.  This stage will pass very quickly & you should not discontinue using your Clarisonic.  

cherrybombtastic

(0) Hearts

I like using Everyday Minerals because it's not heavy, and for acne-ridden skin, try to let your skin breathe. By the way, the Clarisonic isn't a solve-your-acne tool. It's supposed to help your skin absorb the products better, so if you don't have a good regimen down, the tool is useless. I also never use my Clarisonic twice a day, just on a nightly basis, and I never had a problem with dryness. However, every person's skin is different, so take my advice with a grain of salt. I hope this helps and good luck!

celtc

Thanks for the reply! I returned the Clarisonic because I realized it just wasn't good for my type of skin, and I used it WAY too much and now I'm suffering the after effects of it. I went to a dermatologist and now I'm on antibiotics and he gave me two different gels (differin and acanya). He said I can wear makeup over the Differin gel that I use in the morning. Do you have any recommendations on any foundations/concealers that I can use to cover up my acne scars? I'm currently using Bareminerals and Clinique even better concealer. I tried Cover FX but I wasn't happy with the coverage. I want to stay away from liquid foundation because I'm pretty oily and I heard it clogs pores...but any advice would be helpful. Thanks! 

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

If your interested in a powder powder foundation you could try the new one by MUFE. It goes on very smooth and has great coverage. Hope this helps!:smileyhappy:

celtc

Thanks! I heard about it and I'm thinking about giving it a shot:smileyhappy:

beautylovingirl

(0) Hearts

Your welcome!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 hearts