Answer
brittany0859
My face won't stop breaking out?

This might be kind of long. I was using Differin from derm and it stopped working so I started using a Salyclic acid cleanser from Biore and it's kept my skin mostly clear for the last 6 weeks. I also use a Clarisonic. Now I have three cystic pimples on my cheeks (I NEVER used to breakout on my cheeks), two on my chin and I came home today and found I have a new one on my forehead. I also have t ton on tiny under the skin bumps on my chin. What is going on?? My skin wasn't even this barowen I went to the derm the first time! Is there anything you would recommend? Mask, treatment, anything. My skin is also pretty oily.

Thanks!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 18
jenloco
Answered
(0) Hearts

I'm in a similar situation. I started using Epiduo two months ago. The first few days were awful, and I literally felt like my skin was pealing off. Then it got better and was amazing! After about three weeks, it totally stopped working. I'm still using it, but have started using it twice a day every other day, as instructed by my dermatologist. Seems to have helped. I have very oily skin as well, but notice more blemishes pre-menstrual. I have started taking birth control for my hormonal acne and this has helped a lot!!!

I also use Ceraphil's Oil Control Face Wash and their Oil Control Face Lotion. My dermatologist gave me little sample bottles of each, and I highly recommend it. It works great! The face wash seriously sucks all of the oil out of your face, so make sure to use a moisturizer afterwards. Also, I only exfoliate once a week and use Aveeno (gentle but works great). Hopefully, some of this was helpful for you.

Good luck!

ScottGolem
Answered
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hi Brittany,

One major thing that most skin care products lack is keeping your skin at a natural pH.  Our skin is naturally slightly acidic with a pH of 5.5.  When we wash our face with different products including water (neutral with a pH of 7) we end up stripping what is called the acid mantel from our faces.  This is what naturally keeps bacteria etc from proliferating on our skin.  Luckily or face is able to regenerate this acid mantel, but this process takes roughly 14 hours, and we generally wash our faces twice a day, which never allows the appropriate time for us to fully regenerate the acid mantel.  This results in our skin constantly producing oil (giving oily skin) and never allows our skin to naturally "catch up" to our treatments.  The product I would personally recommend for you to try is the Clear Advantage Line from Arbonne ].  This is a Swiss formulated, all natural product, with no preservatives and no harmful chemicals.  The toner step (used after the cleanser) returns your skin to the appropriate pH, so that your skin doesn't need to play "catch up".  It also comes with a spot treatment that will help clear up blemishes that appear.  My wife started using this and noticed her acne started clearing up within 3 days of use.  As these products go a long way, you don't need to use very much at a time, and this set should last roughly 3-4 months with washing your face twice a day.  Hopefully that helps!

jojobe
Answered
(0) Hearts

also if you are drinking a lot of soft drinks weather they are diet or not, you should be making sure you are hydrated because the water pushes the toxins out of your system. Sometimes it can be due to overuse of problems. I used to think I needed to skip the moisturizer because of my  oily skin but actually and oil free moisturizer acts as a barrier to bacteria. There is a balance it is just a matter of keep trying to see what works the best. I find I have to change between summer and winter skin regimens.

caroline77
Answered
(0) Hearts

When it comes to really oily skin, I'm sad to say I'm pretty familiar in this problem...

I use a three step process called "NeoStrata" and it works wonders. For either mild pimples or serious breakouts it comes in a bunch of different levels for the most help. I use the Clarifying Gel Lotion, the Toning Solution and then the Clarifying Lotion and it's pretty awesome stuff. I recommend it to everyone I know!

Hope this helped! xoxo

ManaSmith86
Answered
(0) Hearts

I recommend the Murad Purifying Mask, I've used it in the past but found it really drying because I'm not oily, I just have cystic acne.

I know what you mean about using stuff from the Derm and then it not working anymore. It's awful.

How long have you been using your clarisonic? That might be purging your skin which if you can suffer through it is a really good thing because it cleans your skin out then keeps it clean.

You could also try Dermadoctor's Ain't Misbehavin $25 for a huge bottle. What I do is use it like a mask after I wash my face I dry it, then I apply the dermadoctor dry, then I wash it off after ten minutes using warm water and my clarisonic.

Daniela1387
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have recently come across the same issue. Before I broke out maybe once in a month if that and then suddenly I started breaking out everywhereeee. Though some of my break outs are likely due to stress with my finals coming up but I also think it was allll the junk I was putting on my face. Now I'm trying to use products that are gentler on my face and don't have as many chemicals that are prone to clog my pores. I stopped using the Josie Maran's Argan Oil which felt lovely on my skin but I realized in the exact spots I put it on was where some breakouts were occurring. I also stopped using a face primer since I only use a BB cream on my face I realized that the primer was unnecessary and was also causing breakouts. I also decided to start taking better care of my face so now I exfoliate once a week with Boscia facial polish (sooo awesome!!! and gentle) to help keep it nice and clear from all those dead yucky skins cells.  

TrysBeautyItems
Answered
[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Sounds like a overdose of products. Did you take a break after using the Differin and before the Biore? Are you using the Biore everyday and also with the Clarisonic? If so, you'll want to not use the Biore everyday, salicylic acid could be drying you out too much, hence the acne since the skin is irritated. You may need to cut back on how often you use the Biore. You may be over using the Clarisonic too, try using 2 times a week, but only at night to take the day off.

Philosophy's purity made simple cleanser is very gentle alone or with the Clarisonic. http://www.sephora.com/purity-made-simple-P7109?skuId=407304

If you want prescriptions that work, Clenia sulfur based face wash (doesn't smell like it) - may need to adjust usage if too drying etc. and Epiduo gel - used once at night. I have oily combo/sensitive skin.

Origins charcoal mask also will draw out impurities use once a week or so.

http://www.sephora.com/clear-improvement-active-charcoal-mask-to-clear-pores-P297524?skuId=1375773

For cystics, since they hurt, steep a tea bag for a minute then place on cystic, will help it to do go in size much faster than leaving alone. Also your moisturizer, makeup should be oil-free and non-comedogenic both wont clog your skin.

spedteacher74
Answered
(0) Hearts

How long were you on Differin?  I would see your dermatologist again.  Perhaps a script for Ziana might work.  It is a bit different than Differin, but it is nice in that it is still gel based and goes on clear.  Also, keep track of when these big break outs are occurring.  It might be hormonal acne.  Marking a calendar and over a period of a few months, you may notice a pattern for cystic acne.  Cystic acne is very difficult to treat.  Many topical agents will not work on it.  One poster mentioned birth control, I used to use it and it did help, but I can no longer take it due to migraines.  I use Accutane for my cystic acne.  It is a very serious drug with very serious side effects.  I chose to use it as a last resort and it was in my mid 30s when I did.  Even with that after 2 years, my acne did resurface, but not as bad as it once was.  How long have you been using the Clarisonic?  That can purge acne too.  I sue the sensitive head, if you are using a acne brsuh on it or deep pore, that may be aggravating.

jennypenny1995
Answered
(0) Hearts

I def know how you feel!  It'll be over soon.  You might be in a purging mode right now.  For whatever reason--seasons changing, allergens in the air, hormones, or all of the above--your skin is trying to clean your pores out.  I've found you have to be careful using too much salicylic acid, and I've also found physical exfoliation (i.e. Clairsonic) can aggravate things under the skin.

Try backing off the exfoliation.  Use a salicylic acid product maybe  once daily or even every other day.  Use oil-free moisturizers.  All of this together will calm your skin and keep it from producing too much oil, which can sometimes be a protective mechanism of your skin.

Personally, I've found ZERO coorelation with foods and my breakouts.  It's all revolved around external factors like the weather, a new foundation or product I've applied, or--here's the worse thing to admit--picking at my skin.  (So embarrassed.)

Keep your chin up!

njudge
Answered
(0) Hearts

ahhh acne and oilness and how to control them...being a male and very concerned about it but I think I have been able to tame it.

i suggest you use a Salyclic acid based cleanser(from murad or biore)

tone with a Salyclic acid based toner(one from clinique is really good, it gets the medicine at a more microscopic level)

Moisturizer and Mattifyer: http://www.sephora.com/acne-fighting-mattifying-moisturizer-P380989?skuId=1466267

And SPFhttp://www.sephora.com/hope-oil-free-spf-P261132?skuId=1244870

You want to make sure that your products are oil free and dont have any petrochemicals, those are the ones that will clog your pores.

in addition, eating more greens, vegetables, and having 8 ounces of good green tea will help balance your body's natural production of external oils(there is biology too). take good vitamins, and reduce foods with too many omega 6 and omega 9 fatty acid. 

reduce stress, and for 15 minutes a day, mediate and let the mind be free and relieve yourself.

I also suggest, doing an overhaul of makeup routines if you use any. Try not using making up for 30 days, it might help your body restore the natural Ph Balance of your skin, and when you have do a new regimen. 

midnightangel
Answered
(0) Hearts

A different prescription from the dermatologist and/or birth control.

Seriously. Some acne cannot be treated topically.

jennypenny1995
Answered
(0) Hearts

Oh, and another thing: Consider giving your skin a break for a day or so.  NO MAKEUP WHATSOEVER.  It's amazing how fast things will clear and then be okay afterwards.

lecia1167
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have fought a years-long battle with my skin. As some posters said, you're always gonna have some breakouts. But you can control them so they're few and far between. Here's my advice: Spend the money on good moisturizers that are oil-free. You don't want products with oil because you'll just break out more. It's good that you're using something with Salyclic Acid, but I would recommend getting a good cleanser that's gentle without this ingredient, and then getting a toner with Salyclic Acid instead. You also may want to get an anti-acne serum too. This will help control acne and give your skin some hydration. Put that on right before you moisturize. Lastly, use a very hydrating moisturizer afterwards.  Be aware that your skin may react badly to some products, so get a sample and see how you do before purchasing anything. And go back to your dermalogist and see about getting an oral antibiotic to take. They do help. And chin up! I swear this works!

hilarydoo
Answered
(0) Hearts

The other answers are right on spot. I had severe cystic acne for several years. Through changing your diet, drinking 60 ounces of water a day, using calming makeup such as BareMinerals, and more your acne will disapate. HOWEVER one thing must be added; Vitamin A. I took Accutane for several months and it greatly reduced my acne. What Accutane is is a high dose of Vitamin A. You should take no more than 25,000 IU of Vitamin A once daily as the bottle recommeds. It is usually found in the form of Beta-Carotene. Also Take 1,000m of Vitamin C which is a building block of new skin.

beautylovingirl
Answered

It sounds like you should start using the differin gel that was prescribed to you, You say that it stopped working but it sounds like your skin is much worse now. If the derm prescribed a routine for you that's what you should stick to. No one's skin stays perfect all the time.

tartey
Answered

breaking out is actually a good thing. it means that the new products that you're using are WORKING, by getting all the gunk out of your pores! 

Plus, using a clarisonic will do the same thing. It makes your skin purge and release all the pimples underneath the skin. 

Just stick with it, and hopefully it will clear up! In the mean time, drink lots of water!! 

anakay
Answered

Hey so I have nooo idea if this will be helpful at all, but a year ago my face wouldn't stop breaking out (I thought it was initial breakout from tretinoin but I gave up - too horrible, just awful awful awful), and after lots of changes, my skin is in really great shape. just so you have some context, I do have oily skin, but my cheeks get dry pretty easily. when my skin was at its worst, it seemed really red and stressed out, so I wanted to do something to cut down on inflammation and see if my diet was at fault. Long story short, I started using really gentle products and only washing my face at night since I noticed my skin looked its best right when I woke up and then looked worse after I washed it - I do use the clinique mild clarifying lotion/toner (the alcohol free one) in the morning though. My skin care regimen right now is: MORNING -clinique mild clarifying lotion (really a toner), a little dr.gross trifix acne stuff if I need it, some FAB aloe+ soothing gel, then shiseido urban environment sunscreen. NIGHT - the clinique mild face wash OR amore pacific enzyme peel (I sub this in a few times a week - love this stuff), a little dr.gross trifix acne stuff if I need it, then FAB aloe+soothing gel as a moisturizer.

Also, I cut out dairy completely, which helped, then drastically reduced my added-sugar intake, which helped a lot more. I noticed I'd still break out whenever I ate a ton of pancakes or banana bread or whatever, so I've been cutting down on gluten grains and it's been FANTASTIC. my skin looks fabulous. I try to eat lots of veggies, brown rice/quinoa, beans, low glycemic index stuff, green tea, water. worked great for me and might be worth a shot!

cherrybombtastic
Answered
[ Edited ]

I agree on the person who suggested possibly cutting out certain foods. In addition to cutting out dairy, I've noticed that when I eat beef, my face explodes with cystic acne. Everyone has their "allergy" when it comes to triggering their acne. That's my opinion. When it comes to tackling oily skin, I'm a huge fan of Origins acne line, so you may want to sample those skincare products. If you're looking to keep your oily skin in check, Murad's Oil-Control Mattifier SPF 15 is good for day use. Other than that, doing things like switching your pillowcases frequently and cleaning your cell phone with alcohol are musts! I hope this helps and good luck!

Question Stats
  • 18 answers
  • 9 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • cherrybombtastic
    • hilarydoo
    • jojobe
    • jennypenny1995
    • tartey
    • beautylovingirl
    • brittany0859
    • anakay