Answer
berniebeauty
My brothers acne...
(0) Hearts

HI! My brother, who is 18, is frustrated with his acne. I have been tentative to give him suggestions for a few reasons being that I have a clear face myself, I don't really know what to do, and I don't want to further the problem. He is also very self conscious about it, so the conversation doesn't come up often. This morning though, we deciding letting you all help might be a good thing.

I'd say he has moderate acne. It constantly covers his face and he has scars from past pimples. He does not get any abnormally large ones, just the normal whiteheads and red pin points. 

As of now he uses OXY face pads twice a day and he also uses the face wash, though I'm not sure how often. He complains that even with this regimen it seems like new pimples keep appearing. This is what the packaging of the products look like. 

Salicylic Acid is the main ingredient in both. I have used the pads occasionally when I am trying to get rid of a minor blemish, and it feels very drying. The face wash has a pretty offensive smell to it. He gets both at walgreens. 

My thoughts are that these products, and how often he is using them, are drying out his skin to the extent where his skin is now producing excess oils. Is this correct? I also thought exfoliating might help,  but I don't know. 

My main questions are- 

Would exfoliating help?

Is he over drying his face?

What products should he use?

and Is there a way to get rid of his scars?

Thank you so much for your help! He is going off to college next year; I think this is why he has been so worried about it recently. 

~We are all beautiful~

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
fortess
Answered
(0) Hearts

My son (16 years old) has been seeing great success with a line I used when I was in my twenties - Shiseido's Pureness Line (most products available on Sephora).  I now (in my 40s) use a line from Shiseido for aging, but I used the Pureness Line well into my 30s to address acne and effectively clean make-up off.  My skin is combination to dry, and my son's is essentially the same.  I beleive the line is designed for combo skin.  

My son finds the cleansing foam to be highly effective in getting off the grime that teenage boys get into when they are active.  He has now been using the following products for nearly a year and won't use anything else:

Shiseido Pureness Deep Cleansing Foam

Shiseido Pureness Balancing Softener Alcohol-Free (truly a TONER)

Shiseido Pureness Matifying Moisturizer Oil-Free

Recently I bought him this brush, which he started using one-daily in the shower, and he has seen great results.  It helps him to thoroughly cleanse without over-aggrivation of his skin:

Shiseido The Skincare Cleansing Massage Brush (a GREAT Christmas gift)

And we also picked up these two products based on the recommendation of a counter gal.  He uses the scrub probably twice weekly, and he uses the acne blemish gel only as needed - it only takes a little dab with a q-tip, so it lasts forever.

Shiseido Pureness Pore Purifying Warming Scrub*

Shiseido Pureness Blemish Clearing Gel*

* note - these last two products are not available on Sephora, or at least I have not seen them - we had to get them at the Shiseido counter 

I hope that's helpful for your brother.  It's heartbreaking to see a young man struggle with something that some good products and discipline (regular care) can in many cases help.  

My son found that with these products he can keep clear with exception of the occasional mild to moderate break-out when he is in a growth spurt.  Before this line, he had moderate to bad acne beginning to affect him.  We jumped on it pretty quickly and after trying about three other lines designed for teens and/or men, I decided to give this line I had used a try.  The Pureness line has been around and the formula has remained consistent and true for well over a decade to my knowledge, maybe longer.  That staying power evidences it's worth, AND gives me confidence they won't switch up or go away.  Nothing is more frustrating than finding something that works and then.....(fill in the blank).

One more thing, which I am sure you know:

Consistency is key.  My son got lazy for a while with this system that was working, and even then he started to get huge breakouts.  We talked about his consistency and about HOW he was washing his face.  We found he was sometimes skipping the regimen at bedtime, that he was being too rough - scrubbing instead of gently cleansing, that he wasn't drinking enough water, and that his other hygeine - dirty bedding and clothing was a problem.

He immediately started drinking more water, cut out some acne triggers from his diet (caffeine and excess starches), got back to his morning and evening full skincare regimen, we bought the brush so he could cleanse gently but fully, changed his entire bedding weekly and changed his pillowcase nightly, and stopped wearing his hoodies over and over again without washing - and voila - he cleared up!  

Best wishes for fabulous skin to you all.  

Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 2 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • berniebeauty
    • babybear04
    • oopz
    • kolette
    • beautymission
    • fortess