clearplz

Male - How To Hide Acne/Pimples?

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Hello everyone. I'm in my mid 20's and have been suffering from Acne. No matter what I try I still have it. I'd be lying if I said it wasn't affecting my life drastically. I'm at the point where instead of trying to cure it I want to hide it.

I've been using MURAD Acne Treatment Concealer Stick. Honestly, it's better than nothing but it's kind of powdery, seems to dry my skin, and it may be the wrong shade because I feel like it's a little too light and obvious.

I've seen a few videos of girls using makeup to hide their Acne and it looks so good. With that being said, can any of you help me hide my Acne with makeup? I don't know whether to use BB Cream, Concealer, Tinted Moisturizer, or what. I really don't know the difference. I prefer something that is easy to put on, like dabbing with finger. Could I also get help with picking a shade?

Please help me =(

EDIT:

I was suggested the following by Sephora:

Clinique Acne Solutions Clearing Concealer

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=Clinique%20Acne%20Solutions%20Clearing%20Co...

Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 - Oil Free

http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=Laura%20Mercier%20Tinted%20Moisturizer%20Br...

shinybananas

Re: Male - How To Hide Acne/Pimples?

(0) Hearts

I second the suggestion to see a dermatologist.  Everyone's skin is different, which can be maddening, because everyone here will have a story as to what worked for them, which may not work for you.  Luckily, it doesn't seem from your pictures like you are dealing with cystic acne.  

It may actually be cheaper for you to see a doctor, because once you try a litany of products, it could be hundreds of dollars spent before you find a regimen that works for you.  If your sanity and well-being are at stake here, it could be really useful to have a medical professional give you some sound advice.

Barring that, getting a skincare consultation might also be helpful, as it will help you learn more about your skin type.

I understand the desire to cover it up; many of us on this forum spend a lot of time and effort into perfecting the smoke and mirrors that make us appear flawless.  But, underneath it all, you want the clearest skin achievable. A lot of these bb creams and foundations are potential irritants to underlying problems.  And besides, knowing your skin and what works for it informs the decisions you make about what products will work for you and which ones won't.  For example, I have dry skin.  There is no way products labeled as "oil free" are going to work on me without creating patches of dryness, which are quite unsightly.  So, being armed with knowledge about what makes my skin its absolute best will inform what makes my skin LOOK its absolute best...see the difference?

lndngyn

(0) Hearts

Hey! Try Oil of Oregano! I swear on this stuff for my acne. It doesn't tackle cystic acne, however. It does work on the acne that you have though! You need to dilute it in water before you use it on acne though. I do 4 drops in 1/2 cup of water. I just leave this in a little container that I shake up before I use.

As for a cover up, BB cream is a really good way to go (I prefer asian brands), but the colouring might be a little light and grey.

I recently picked up Smashbox's CC cream and I absolutely love it! It still looks like skin and its not full coverage so it makes it look like you arent wearing makeup. I think the shade "light" will match you. The finish is also very natural -- not too matte or dewy

I don't recommend the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer at all. It broke me out bad, and I think they also changed the formula. It doesn't contain SPF anymore. The finish of this tinted moisturizer is a little dewy so you might look oily throughout the day.

warriorwitch

Oregano has very powerful anti bacterial properties and can be used to wash cuts and scrapes as well. :smileyvery-happy:

spedteacher74

Have you seen a dermatologist.  They do have a lot of topical medications that are quite good now.  Ziana and Differin are two popular ones.  Both come in gel form so they do not leave a film.  They initially will make your acne worse as it purges from your skin.  Your skin will get dry, but if you moisturize this helps.  I have suffered from acne all my life.  I am in my late 3os and still have adult acne, but I swear by these two topical gels from the dermatologist. 

As far as covering it up, it can be done, but as Warriorwitch said, it can actually worsen the situation.  I have found that using a lot of things to cover it up just causes new breakouts.  Prevention is best.  I use a salicylic acid cleanser in the morning and then a mild cleanser at night. 

If you still want to cover up, I found Smashboc BB cream followed by a liquid concealer over the BB cream only on the acne spots themselves works well.  I do this on my worst days if I have some place special to go.  Go into Sephora, they do a great job with color matching.

clearplz

(0) Hearts

I was suggested the following by Sephora:

Clinique Acne Solutions Clearing Concealer
http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=Clinique%20Acne%20Solutions%20Clearing%20Co...
Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 - Oil Free
http://www.sephora.com/product/productDetail.jsp?keyword=Laura%20Mercier%20Tinted%20Moisturizer%20Br...

Can you guys suggest shades for me for each based on my picture? http://imgur.com/a/yarHw

ChicDabbler

(0) Hearts

Howdy howdy,

Concealer is a spot treatment while tinted moisturizer, BB/cc cream and foundation are meant to be used for the whole face (or on spots if you just need to cover minor redness or something).

You definitely need a concealer, a lot of acne concealer treats acne by drying out the skin, which you may not want unless you have oily skin. My personal favorite concealers are Amazing Concealer and MUFE full coverage concealer. They are both liquid concealer, which means you just need a tiny bit and once you dab it on, wait and let it dry a bit first or else you may accidentally wipe it off.

I don't think tinted moisturizer have enough coverage, so maybe a BB cream or foundation. This would depend on your skin type (oily, combination, normal, dry) and the type of finish you'd like (matte, natural). To ensure the most natural look, I recommend get your shade matched in store since picture can differ greatly depending on the lighting.

Basically you want to apply your liquid foundation/bb cream first, then dab concealer on the acne and make sure to blend the edges. It will take some practice to get it right, but to fix the problem you need to look to your skincare.

warriorwitch

(0) Hearts

I'm sure you have heard this before, but put more thought into your skin care to prevent and eliminate rather than covering up (which can worsen the situation). When you do use cover, remember NO ONE looks at your face as closely/critically as you do (unless your trying to get into modeling). When in doubt err on the side of being frugal with the use of color. The human brain fills in the greater part of the details it sees so less is often more. (Its easier to gloss over something your brain is used to seeing, blemishes are natural where as makeup is not and too much makeup will be way more noticeable.) The concealer I have been using lately is the Loreal color match crayon and its surprisingly good, the shade range is pretty good so you should be able to find a match easily, and then use a transparent powder to set it.

Also, drink lots of water, eat lots of fresh fruits/veggies and maybe dandelion tea or tincture (dandelion leaves help your body process and eliminate the yuck in your system which will improve the health of your skin). :smileyvery-happy: Hope that wasn't too long.

infinitise

(0) Hearts

I agree with you about Murad's concealer stick just making you drier. It I think (if i remember correctly has salicylic acid to so called heal your blemishes (which for me doesn't; just makes them dry and uglier) 

do moisturize well with an oil free moisturizer during the day, and something heavier at night. if you dry your face out too much, that also tends to cause acne and/or makes ur skin produce more oil. 

cleansing I find is extremely important too; it really makes a difference :smileysad: invest in a good cleanser that is right for your skin, and always get rid of your makeup first before using the foam cleanser to really get deep into the skin. 

exfoliating in form of chemical peel also helps alot

to cover up ur acne, don't go for BB creams. I hate them. I think they're aweful. I've tried everything from what Sephora carries and Korean ones (where it tends to be huge) and everyone of them breaks me out. I think its the nature of it cramming too many things in one bottle. Tinted moisturizer is great on the other hand, but I find that it doesn't provide as much coverage as the foundations. 

get a foundation that is right for your skin (preferably oil free), and use a liquid type concealer to cover up any extras. Stick concealers from my experience just accentuates dry spots caused by acne and make them more obvious and noticeable. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • ChicDabbler
    • spedteacher74
    • warriorwitch
    • infinitise
    • lndngyn
    • shinybananas