Answer
skk150
Accepted Solution
Makeup for Accutane users?
(0) Hearts

Hi everyone! I will be starting Accutane treatment this fall for acne in my T-zone, and I will need a new daily makeup routine to deal with dry, flaky skin. I'm very, very self conscious without makeup, so going fresh-faced probably won't be an option. I have very sensitive, very pale skin, and I'm worried that my usual makeup will look weird and fake if my skin is flaking. It would be amazing if y'all could help me choose some products for daily use! Thanks!
This is what makeup I wear on a daily basis:
-primer
-foundation
-concealer
-powder
-blush
-highlighter
-bronzer
-nude eyeshadow
-eyeliner (pencil)
-mascara
-lip gloss

So if y'all could help me find moisturizing products that won't look conspicuous with dry skin, that would be amazing! Oh, and one last thing: my Sephora+Pantone Color ID is 1R02! Thanks so much!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
lylysa
Answered

Hi, Skk150, in addition to finding new cosmetics, please also be sure you're practicing sun safety (sport SPF even if it's not super sunny outside) daily and ensuring your skin care products and regimen are in support of your Accutane use in terms of being able to combat and address dryness and not counteract its affects (if needed, check with your doctor or skin care professional in regards to this).

For cosmetic items for your complexion and skin concerns, try nourishing primers like ones from Korres. The Greek Yoghurt Primer is silicone free and infused with yogurt proteins to soothe skin and can aid in easing inflammation/redness. Conditioning oils and extracts aid in hydrating skin in a healthy sense without being heavy or pore clogging. For something a little more basic, their regular Face Primer, is another silicone free formula that is infused with conditioning vitamin E and jojoba extract.

For a foundation, what type of coverage are you looking for along with what type of finish?

You can check out a range of BB or CC creams, along with tinted moisturizers for a more sheer, natural look on skin. Check out Tarte's 12 Hr BB Primer Treatment or Josie's Maran's Argan Matchmaker Serum Foundation to give skin a touch of color but also help with skin's texture and quality without having some thick formula on skin.

Do you have a preference for formula types in terms of concealer? Powder, stick, cream, potted, or liquid? 

Any particular colors or finishes you like in your bronzer, blush, or highlighter?

In terms of color cosmetics, what do you currently have? The use of Accutane shouldn't cause you to change up things like colors of eye shadow or liner completely. If areas of your face/cheeks are affected, keep in mind that finishes, application, and placement can actually be greater factors to take into account. For example, dry flaking areas can be enhance with super shimmery/glitter finishes, but in the same aspect you don't want to go entirely muddled with a matte finish either with a heavy hand as this can make dry areas appear ruddy. Find a balance between finish and how a product is applied, try to switch up to a stippling or fan brush for a lighter sweep of color, that way you can still make many products wearable.

skk150
Hi lylysa, thanks for answering! As far as my preferences on products, I generally like medium coverage foundations with a satin or natural finish. For concealer formulas, I like pretty much any formula other than powder. For bronzer, blush & highlighter, I usually like a slight shimmer, and I tend to lean toward natural pinks and peaches for blush colors, pale pinks such as the Benefit High Beam, and more light golden colors for bronzer.
Your reply was really helpful! Thanks again!
lylysa
For medium coverage, check out MUFE's HD liquid foundation or Urban Decay's Naked Skin as both give a natural, satin finish that won't make skin look dried out. I do still suggest checking out Tarte's 12 Hr BB Primer and Josie Maran's Argan Serum Foundation for lighter weight alteratives.

For dry skin, work with a creamy concealer, Nars's Radiant Creamy Concealer or Smashbox's HD Liquid Concealer are both great options that will allow for buildable coverage in a formula where you can control it so it's not too thick upon initial application and won't risk enhancing dry spots right out the date.

Laura Mercier and Urban Decay make some lovely loose powders to set make up, if you want pressed, MUFE has some lovely tinted options to multi-purpose as setting powders and touch up/foundation powders (Pro Finish Powder feels amazing).

Check out Too Faced for a variety in bronzers, their Sweethearts blush has a beautiful natural pink and peach option that give skin a glow without being a shimmer bomb. Tarte's Amazonian Clay blushes are another great option for cheek color and wear incredibly well. Highlighter powders that give skin a luminous glow can be found in lines like Hourglass (Ambient Light), Guerlain (pearls), and Laura Mercier (Matte Radiance Baked Powder). If you want more assistance with types of highlighters, check out my response in the below:

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Face/Does-highlighters-accentuate-dry-patches-and-or-pores/m-p/12608...
skk150
Thanks! This is so helpful!
lylysa
No problem! That's what myself and the users of Beauty Talk are here for! :smileyvery-happy:
Question Stats
  • 7 answers
  • 13 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • killerteeth
    • lylysa
    • Titian06
    • laura819
    • meecheroo
    • Jessicaclara
    • skk150
    • BeckyJo20