Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Luxury Acne Skincare?

I have fairly bad acne. I always get large cystic spots and it takes forever to go away. I'm looking for more of a high end brand that'll hopefully not only help with acne, but help with anti aging/ overall skincare and as strange as it is I like when it looks pretty on my counter 😉

Any suggestions (I was thinking "rose" by the fresh line but it seems more for moisturizing rather than acne).

Re: Luxury Acne Skincare?

I've struggled with breakouts my whole life.  Now, theyve decided to transition into new places on my face.  For a very long time, I always used acne specific items like neutrogena but about 6 years ago, I started focusing more on hydrating products and used the Elizabeth arden visible difference line.  Hydration is super important.  (Too many "skin clearing" products might dry out your skin.)  It really helped set the tone for today.  However, Im a skincare fiend and always feel like there is something better out there.  I did a K-beauty routine for a while too, mostly Amorepacific products.  I phased them out little by little and have settled on my current rotation.  

I'm a huge fan of Omorovicza (cleansing balm), Mila Moursi (serum, toner, cleanser, moisturizer), Rodin (oil), May Lindstrom (mask, mist, oil, moisturizer).  The latter specifically has some useful products, such as the problem solver mask and the Jasmine Garden spray.  Herbivore makes a jasmine mist I want to try as an cheaper alternative.  

I love luxury skincare.  It's the only treat I allow myself, so I dont mind splurging, within reason.

While this is not a line sold at Sephora, I think MOSS would be the perfect line for you. It is targeted specifically for acne and anti-aging. I have used MOSS products before, and they are all incredible. Each Friday, the owner does a Facebook Q&A, which is extremely helpful.

I've been struggling with acne since 5th grade. I saw many different dermatologists, used all kinds of prescription meds/products but none of it worked. I finally got it under control after seeing an esthetician who suggested SkinMedica acne products and prescription retinol. However, "under control" just meant not quite as bad as before.

I've since discovered that diet it incredibly important. I'm not gluten intolerant, but any time I eat gluten I breakout. Many people find that cutting out dairy clears their skin. Basically, the more fruits and veggies I eat and the less sugar/dairy/gluten I eat the better my skin looks. 

Also, try Google-ing Shani Darden. She is an esthetician who treats a lot of celebrities who have awesome skin (Jessica Alba, Shay Mitchell, Lea Michelle, Chrissy Tiegen, etc.). Since following her recommendations, my skin has been looking incredible - and that was just from me using the products she recommends in interviews and articles. The products really do work amazingly well, but they definitely aren't cheap and most aren't sold at Sephora. But I know how much my skin affects me and my daily decisions so to me its worth it. Here's what I'm using:

Morning:

- iS Clinical Cleansing Complex $40 for 6 oz.

- iS Clinical Active Serum $130 for 1 oz. 

- Control Corrective Matte Day Creme SPF 30 $32 for 2.5 oz.

Night:

- iS Clinical Cleansing Complex again

- LightStim for acne LED blue light $169 but doesn't ever need replacement lights

- Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta peel extra strengths $88 for 30 day supply, Sephora throws in 5 extra!

- iS Clinical Active Serum again

- Resurface by Shani Darden Retinol Reform $95 for 1 oz.

- Control Corrective Oil Free Healing Lotion $29 for 2.5 oz.

Incredibly expensive, I know. I recommend starting with just one product because its important not to overdo it and your skin needs time to work up to handling strong products. If you buy just one of these products, I highly recommend iS Clinical Active Serum! It is amazing and also great for anti-aging. It really helps heal any breakouts I do get so they go away quickly and it fades red marks. Also, Shani's retinol is great and much less drying than most products on the market because it includes soothing ingredients like aloe. 

Hi BeautyAddict-

Thank you so much for sharing your routine - this is so helpful. I just purchased all of the products you mentioned in your regimen (except IS Active Serum) but had a couple questions:

1) What are the differences between IS Active Serum and Shani's Retinol Reform? I heard that they are not meant to be used together but would love your thoughts. Also, if you were to recommend one over the other -which would you recommend?

2) Do you use the peel pads nightly?

3) I bought Control Corrective's oil-free SPF (vs the matte one you use). Do you know if there is a difference? I am prone to cystic breakouts all over my chin and have always been sensititve to SPF so wondering what you thought.

Thank you so much for your advice in advance!

I would also echo everyone else who recommended you visit a dermatologist, and here's why:

My drastically changed when I turned 28. I always had oily, acne prone skin, but my skin suddenly normalized quite a bit and became very sensitive. I started getting these awful "braille bump" pimples that would leave horrible scars in my skin. I visited my dermatologist, and she said a lot of my issues were occurring because my skin was irritated! Basically, the products I used were making my situations WORSE.

I am extremely pale and have always known salicylic acid, a common OTC treatment for acne, did not work well with my skin. Turns out the face wash I was used had SA in it! I never bothered to read far enough down in the ingredients.

Once I switched to gentler products and got a prescription medication, my skin drastically, and I mean DRASTICALLY, improved. I saw improvement just by switching to a Dove beauty bar rather than a face wash.

So see a derm, who can design an effective regimen just for you. It may be that your skin is simply irritated and reacting with cystic acne.

Jess, try Unblemish line from Rodan+Fields. Rodan and Fields was ranked #1 premium skincare brand in the US. It cleared my acne in a little bit over a month! I also have my own before and after photo if you'd like me to send to you. You can message me at 

Consulting with a dermatologist is probably your best bet and most likely the most fail-proof way to go. 

However, I never did so I will list the products that have helped me oodles!!

I had flawless skin my entire life, just getting a spot or two around my menstruation cycle. Then a month or so after I turned 19 my face broke out like crazy and it took me a while to get it under control. What really helped me was when I started using a combination of products rather than one or two from travel/trial sets and whatnot. It got better and better until I perfected the cocktail. Everyone has different skin, so it is hard to say what will work, but these products worked for me!

I started with investing in a Clarisonic. I went with the Clarisonic Mia 2 Acne Clarifying set. I hated the cleanser so I eventually started using my Clinique cleanser and eventually Murad. I was told by a few people that using a Clarisonic would just make things worse and spread the acne. I personally never experienced that so I continued using it. 

Then I started using Kate Somerville EradiKate and her Antibac Clearing Lotion.upload_3735596186793796123.jpgupload_2154442894362233168.jpg

I also use the Glamglow Supermud Clearing Treatment once a week upload_8113759048239072005.jpg

Those products helped exponentially!

My face cleared even more when I started using the Glamglow Supercleanse Daily Cleanser upload_6827338266834577934.jpg

My current routine is the Glamglow Cleanser with my hands or Kate Somerville Detox Daily Cleanser with my Clarisonic upload_8886512410811908116.jpg

Then Sunday Riley Martian Mattifying Melting Water-Gel Toner, (I just started using it March 25 and it is SO GOOD, I highly recommend. I plan to order/pick up the UFO oil to go with it) upload_2610177540230676716.jpg

And I use EradiKate and Supermud when needed. (I'm back to clear skin with monthly spots!)

I have only listed the products I used to clear my acne and maintain clear skin. I use other products for moisture and texture if you are interested!

I hope this helps!

Whoops. Sorry the links didn't post and the photos are wonky. I haven't posted on here in quite some time 😘

I used to have acne like you described and the only thing that helped was seeing a derm and using prescription products.  I know they're not as luxe as high end skincare, but when I had cystic acne it just didn't respond to common OTC ingredients.

Then when you get your acne under control it is easier to add in high end products for anti-aging.

I second @kelloua.  I had cystic acne from 10 until 35.  I was unable to go to a dermatologist until I was an adult in my mid 20s.  By that time, of course, it was extremely severe.  It took over 10 years to get it under control and alleviated.  Only a dermatologist and prescription meds (topical and internal) were able to do that.  Cystic acne is completely different from a "regular" pimple.  You really should go to a derm if at all possible.  You may need a referral from your family doctor in order for your insurance to pay for your visits, but that's all.

@Alicehoopz gives you some great suggestions for skincare.  I've used or am using those products myself.

@JessGarbett I agree with everybody that very large cystic acne may be something that you want to see a dermatologist about. 

Some of my favorite acne treating products come from Kate Sommerville and I definitely recommend checking her EradiKate line out. I absolutely love the cleanser and spot treatment.

If you're looking for a more high end brand that has effective skin care and beautiful packaging, one of my favorites is Tatcha! If you like purple and white and basic, but elegant packaging I would definitely recommend their products. (: 

XOXO,
Marieke

Love the eradiKate mask, haven't tried the spot treatment though- will look into! thanks! 🙂

Its not a luxury brand but I quite like the Clinique acne line.  However, with cystic acne I second the recommendation of a dermatologist.

Word of caution, just because it's high end doesn't mean it's effective 🙂 I can count off at least a dozen products that are high end, expensive and completely useless for what they claim to do. On the flip side, just because it's drugstore cheap doesn't mean it's useless either! And of course what works for someone else might not work for you.

Just because skin has acne doesn't mean it doesn't need moisture. In fact, not hydrating and moisturizing acneic skin properly might cause more problems.

As suggested for cystic acne I would highly recommend a dermatologist. They're just not things you want to mess around with!

100% agree, I've tried MANY drugstore products though and due to bringing the price down they use certain fillers or things that I tend to be a bit more sensitive to 😞 

Garnier micellar water though is definitely a staple instead of using other high end "cleansing waters" as most do the same thing!

Since you say you have fairly bad cystic acne, I strongly suggest going to a dermatologist. I think professional care is the real luxury.Once you get the acne under control, you can then treat yourself with any nice products (Fresh rose line is very good for toning/moisturizing imo).

Alternatively, May Lindstrom, Dr Dennis Gross and Kate Somerville all have good lines for acne+anti-aging at a slightly higher price point.But I generally think it works better for those that get 1-2 occasional deeper spots. 

phew, skincare is such a personalized thing that it's really hard to make recommendations (even more so on skin that isn't quite perfect). but you and I have very similar desires: I want to fight aging and not have acne, and those are kind of polar opposites in what skincare products do! (ie the drying end and the moisturizing end!)

I've arrived at the conclusion that I need to use a good acne-fighting cleanser. Murad makes an amazing one containing 2% salicylic acid. I then use a toner, Clinique's clarifying lotion 2 is an excellent option. I follow that with a GOOD serum. this is where, in my experience, you can opt for the "heavier" product as it sinks deeply into your skin vs. sitting on top and clogging pores. I think you have a lot to choose from here so I don't have any specific recommendations. now, I DO have a must-have for you: Ole Henriksen's Invigorating Night Treatment. This product somehow fights fine lines and acne. With your skin (again assuming it's like mine), you might also find this to be a holy grail. as for moisturizers, if you want to spend the money, I do enjoy La Mer, and I haven't noticed any problems with breakouts.

While that's a good basic daily routine, I also feel it's important to toss a few more products at you. first off, mud masks (think glamglow)! drying though they may be, if you follow them with the above skincare, they will not dry *out* your skin, but will prevent acne. and in the event you do end up with a breakout, I've yet to find anything better at nipping that in the bud than Mario Badescu's drying lotion.

TLDR: best anti-acne products that I have tried: Murad Clarifying Cleanser, Ole Henriksen Invigorating Night Treatment, Mario Badescu Drying Lotion. Use these with heavier skincare and *in theory* your skin should stay pretty clear

@JessGarbett I think you could try May Lindstrom's The Problem Solver for starters. It's a great clay mask for acne and inflammation 🙂

There's a very nice thread that has discussions about luxury skincare. If you want to check it out it's here: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/All-about-Luxury-skincare-Come-in-and-chat-about-you...

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos6
  • upload_3735596186793796123.jpg
  • upload_2154442894362233168.jpg
  • upload_8113759048239072005.jpg
  • upload_6827338266834577934.jpg
  • upload_8886512410811908116.jpg
  • upload_2610177540230676716.jpg
testing