Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Looking to change Skin Care

I am looking to change up my skin care. as of now I am using Ole and Origin but i find its just not working to great for my skin. and am in my mid 30's and have extreme combination skin, visible pores, fine lines, and acne thats a little more the hormonal. I have been in store asking about my skin and got a few different responses from a few people. So I don't know what will work best in my case my nose and forehead get very greasy by the afternoon, so bad that i have to wipe it away the blotters are just not enough. Please help.... 

Re: Looking to change Skin Care

I'm only 23, but your skin sounds similar to mine. My biggest issue is acne but I think my skincare routine could work well for you too. I follow Shani Darden's recommendations and they have been working incredibly well. She works with a lot of super famous people (Jessica Alba, Chrissy Tiegen, etc.) and a lot of them use the same products I do. Warning: these products aren't cheap, but they are incredibly effective. and have really helped keep my oiliness under control

Morning:

- iS Clinical Cleansing Complex $40

- iS Clinical Active Serum $130

- Control Corrective Matte Day Cream SPF 30 $32

Night:

- iS Clinical Cleansing Complex $40

- Dr. Dennis Gross Alpha Beta peels extra strength $88

- iS Clinical Active Serum $130

- Resurface by Shani Darden Retinol Reform $95

- Control Corrective Oil Free Healing Lotion $29

Not sure if you wear makeup, but Hourglass Immaculate Foundation is great for oil control. I also really like La Roche Posay Effaclar BB Blur to control oil and diffuse pores.

Good luck!

Anonymous Insider

Hey, jllcs! I have the same skin type as you except my skin is very sensitive. You may or may not have sensitive skin but either way it is always better to use products that won't even irritate sensitive skin.

My Short, Simple, and Affordable Skincare routine:

1. Tony Moly: Egg Pore Shiny Skin Soap(Minimizes pores without irritation! OMG I am not kidding you it works so well)

2.Biore: Blemish Fighting Ice Cleanser(I literally have no breakouts anymore)

3.IMAGE Skincare: Ormedic Balancing Facial Cleanser(you don't need a toner if you use this)

4.Olay: Olay Complete All Day Moisturizer

hey @Anonymous

Really where do you get all of this? I will be doing some research on it and see! Thank you!!

Anonymous Insider

You can buy all of them online but I got the Biore product at a drugstore XD! Glad I could help!

Hi @jllcs,

Have you ever considered cleansing with an oil cleanser? I feel like when I use an oil cleanser, my face doesn't seem as oily throughout the day because it's not being stripped of the natural oils that it needs. I've been using Tatcha's Pure One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil in the morning and then a more clarifying cleanser at night. This also might just be in my head, but Sometimes I feel like I'm less oily when I've been drinking more water. I hope this helps. 🙂

Cheers!
Nikko

Hey @NikkoBT

I have thought about it and been doing some reading on it! just not sure how to put together a regime for myself. 

Hi, jllcs!

With any revamp of a skin care regimen, first and foremost the approach should be done in a gradual and timely manner. Trying to overhaul the complete steps in your morning and right routine can be chaotic and throw skin in for a shock as you're very suddenly introducing a whole new batch of products.

Aside from sharing with us that you currently use Olen Henriksen and Origins, can you share with us the specific items that go into making your AM and PM regimens along with any subsequent items/steps (such as exfoliating, masks, etc.) that you may do intermittently and how often they factor alongside the daily items? 

When you first wake, how does your skin look and feel? Do you currently employ the use of any spot treatments for blemishes (if so, what item is used)? How many blemishes a month on average would you say you experience? Do they occur to be more whiteheads/pustular blemishes, blackheads, or red swollen blemishes that feel "under the skin" and even a bit tender?

Are you noticing the increase in oil along skin on days where you are and aren't wearing makeup? Or does it fluctuate based upon what other items aside from skin care that you're wearing? Feel free to share with us your makeup regimen as well!

Hey @lylysa

Yes of course I Can, so when I wake my forehead and nose is very greasy. but my morning routine is as follows.

Wash with OleHenriksen on the go cleanser

Tone with origins balance 

Ole truth serum collagen booster all over and Fresh rose deep hydration on my chin lip and cheeks.

moisturizer is origins a perfect world spf 25

and my eye cream Weil for origins mega-bright.

then i do my makeup i use Too Faced hangover as my toner and I have a few different options i use on my face 1. clinique beyond perfecting or 2. MUFE ultra HD or lastly 3. Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer.

in the evening I wash my face using the same cleanser and the same toner

my night serum is ole invigorating night treatment

and my moisturizer is origins high potency night a mins and i use the same eye cream.

2 times a week I mask at night with Fresh umbrian clay or the charcoal mask. also during the day twice a week i use Dr Gross universal daily peel.

oh and I mostly use my clairsonic.

when I break out its kind of a 50/50 between red bumps and whiteheads but mostly on my jawline, cheeks, and chin. I would say in a span of 30 days i have breakouts about 20-25 of them.

Since it's primarily your t-zone that is greasy, have you considered toning just that particular region in the morning versus doing a full cleanse (as this may be stripping to portions of the face that aren't very oily)?

You may consider swapping the Origins toner with one that is alcohol-free to be a bit more gentle to skin and cut the risk of be dehydrating. Kate Somerville's Clarifying Treatment Toner is oil, alcohol, and fragrance free and formulated to address oily, combination, and acneic/blemish-prone skin that is looking for a bit of clarifying and oil control without being harsh. Witch hazel, a natural astringent targets constricting cellular tissue, thus diminishing the appearance of pores and aiding in controlling the release of oil. phytic and lactic acid gently help to sweep away excess build up and dead skin that can congest pores or cause roughness while also gently brightening the complexion, oleanic acid moisturizes, panthenol and chamomile calms and conditions skin, while aloe soothes. 

Is there a particular reasons you're using the Fresh Rose Deep Hydration moisturizer on those specific regions before your SPF? 

After applying the Origins Night A Mins, how does your skin look and feel? The formula is a bit richer, so with skin being combination/oily, do you find it taking longer to sink in? Do you find that it leaves a bit of a film or stickiness that lingers?

Are you using the Fresh Umbrian Clay or the charcoal mask (is it the Origins charcoal mask or another brand that you're using?) just on areas as needed or are you applying it all over? For clay or "purifying" masks that focus on drawing on impurities or oils, feel free to apply them on areas that just call for it. For example, if it's your t-zone that is primarily problematic, apply the mask just to that zone so you're not drying out cheeks or the rest of the face. 

Is there a particular reason you're opting for use of the DDG peel pad during the day versus the night?

Which Clarisonic brush head do you use?

In regards to the blemishes, I didn't see any mention of a spot treatment used, so currently there's no blemish-specific item being incorporated, is that correct? My apologies if my initial blemish inquiry was unclear, I was asking about the number of blemishes that occur on average in a month, not the number of days you may experience having blemishes in a month. So are you saying you experience about 20-25 blemishes a month or that you merely have an unnamed number of blemishes that live our 20-25 days out of a month? Blemishes along the jaw, chin, and cheeks can often be tied to diet and hormones (blemishes towards the forehead/top of the head are often correlated with stress, those along the center of the face being the cheeks or even nose can be tied to diet, while those on the lower/bottom portion of the face with hormonal related causes). While this may not be the end-all-be-all reasoning behind your blemishes, it can offer much insight. For example, do you notice the blemishes being more active during times surrounding or during your cycle, do you currently take any medication that may contribute to this, has your dietary patterns been sporadic? Keep in mind basic daily practices can also play a big role such as how often you're changing your bed sheets/pillow cases (if you're a side-sleeper, having those regions of blemishes constantly touch and retouch against your pillow case can just transfer more oil and bacteria to already affected areas), resting your hand along the bottom of your face/jaw (unclean hands or fingers touching along regions can also cause oil/bacteria transfer), and even resting your phone against the side of your face can mean transfer and the reintroduction of anything from makeup, oil, to bacteria being passed back onto skin and already affected blemish regions.

Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing