saramalone42

Looking for a drugstore cleanser for dehydrated, oily, acne-prone skin?

I think I've been using washes and other products that are too harsh for my skin, so it's now dehydrated and over-producing oil. Plus it's summer. My skin's also pretty acne-prone, but I think I need to stay away from things like salicylic acid in my face wash for now. Any (affordable) ideas?

GladazzleBeauty

Re: Looking for a drugstore cleanser for dehydrated, oily, acne-prone skin?

(0) Hearts

I really like Cetaphil products. They are great for oily acne prone skin and they last forever since the containers are so large. I use the cleanser and the moisturizer everyday.

tashalicious

(0) Hearts

i tried a lot of cleansers  but nothing agrees with my sensitive combination skin like Noxema, you get a nice big jar for less than  $5.

Meg82

(0) Hearts

I really recommend Purpose cleanser. I have oily skin and I used to be really hard on my skin and I think Purpose helped me balance everything out.  It's gentle but really gets it done in the cleansing department.  My only problem with it is that it doesn't have any exfoliating power so I use St. Ives Apricot Scrub once a week to exfoliate (though some have said that St. Ives causes skin problems so definitely don't use it more than once a week or maybe consider some gentler exfoliator).

Purpose comes highly recommended by both my dermatologist and my bff's dermatologist.

polishlover10

(0) Hearts

Salicylic acid itself isn't actually drying. It's just the junk you usually find it suspended in (like neutrogena acne washes, for example). I love BHA because it keeps the pores clear. 

But if you don't want it in your stuff, a cleanser I love is the Burt's Bees Radiance Cleanser with Royal Jelly. It's amazing stuff and non-stripping. The ingredients are anti-aging, but I find that those ingredients are the best for those who suffer with acne. 
Bon courage!

choosysusan

I agree with prosopan: CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser is excellent and you might just really love it. Good luck!

Susan

xo xo

prosopon

Another one by CeraVe that is not foaming is their hydrating cleanser. It has all the benefits that lylysa mentioned except that it is non-foaming.  On the bottle it says it is for dry to normal skin.  

Cetaphil also has a non-foaming formula as well. (I have a harder time finding that one in the store).

lylysa

There's actually a difference between dehydrated skin and dry skin, though I'm sure both CeraVe formulas would be beneficial, the Hydrating Cleanser for dry to normal skin is made richer for skin types that actually lack the ability to properly keep moisturized and balanced or lacks the ability to maintain moisture levels. Dehydrated skin is skin that has the capabilities to keep balanced; however, due to external or environmental factors have been depleted from moisture, thus left to dry down. I've run into clients often with oily skin that suffer from dehydration because they associate moisturizers or lotions with being heavy or greasy and think the "oil" their skin produces should "moisturize" enough when in actuality, the oil being produced is due to an imbalance or due to the skin trying to overcompensate for lack of proper moisture in the system. 

The foaming version from CeraVe is sulfate free, so the foam isn't a drying one that will negatively affect skin :smileyhappy:. Either way, both are choked full of niacinamide, ceramides, and hyaluronic acid which are vital to keep skin well hydrated! :smileyvery-happy:

007glamgirl

(0) Hearts

To my surprise, I have enjoyed Simple and Aveeno cleansers this year, and they remove makeup. Some cleanser do not. The Checks and Balance from Origin is on the pricier side, but I use this during hot weather only, so invest in a small tube (or ask for a sample to try!). Salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide mixture is great as an overnight acne treatment. And old Asian trick -- green tea toner to fight inflammation! Simply seep a green tea bag for 5 min and allow to cool. Apply tea to face twice a day as a toner. The phenol in the tea is amazing for the skin!

Kiki1517

(0) Hearts

My fave is Trader Joe's All in One Antioxidant Facial Cleanser $5.99

Product info from their site:

a gentle, sulfate-free, soap-free formula that dissolves oil without drying your skin. It's enhanced with antioxidants like green tea extract and vitamins A, C, & E, which aid in rejuvenating your skin. It's gentle enough for all skin types, from sensitive to normal to oily. 

lylysa

[ Edited ]

Try CeraVe's Foaming Facial cleanser, it's a sulfate free face wash (the foam is gentle and not aimed to strip skin of essential oils, plus the foam helps break down oil compared to thick/cream based washes) that is dermatologist developed plus its noncomedogenic, fragrance free, and nonirritating.

The formula has a basic structure of ceramides, niacinamide, and hyaluronic acid which help to strengthen and improve the balance of lipid barriers and cellular structure of pores plus binds healthy moisture drawn from the atmosphere to parched, dehydrated, or skin that is oily that doesn't often get the right type of hydration it needs.

This wash is idea for normaly to oily skin, even acne prone skin. It won't overwhelm skin like a traditional acne wash, but will help balance out skin so oil is cleansed off the face, but you're not feeling dried or tight afterward.

swfupload_6841137603861024862.png

You can find it at places like Walgreens or CVS around $12, but on sites like Drugstore (dot) com, it goes on special and is currently under $10.

Luxeface86

I SWEAR by my holy grail cleanser for when my skin is being unruly, but also needs a break from harsher regimens. It's the Yes to Tomatoes Daily Clarifying Cleanser. It is a gel formula that has limited ingredients, a subtle smell that goes away quickly and it really cleanses my skin thoroughly without stripping it. It's about $10...

mafan

Stay away from foaming cleansers.  The ingredients that make it foam can be really harsh.

You might check out a wash from Cetaphil. 

And make sure you moisturize.  Adding moisture back in will help you from overproducing oil as well.

michmo

(0) Hearts

Okay, I know it's not drugstore brand, but I wanted to mention it because it isn't too expensive and I really love it.  

I use First Aid Beauty's Cleanser.  It is a fairly large tube for $20.  It is creamy, cleans well, and does not over dry.  

My skin has never looked better since I started using their products.  

michmo

(0) Hearts

Okay I feel bad that my recommendation wasn't drugstore, but I thought of another one that is drugstore.  Before I moved I had been using Aveeno Positively Radiant Cleanser.  It looked like liquid gold.  It worked well without causing irritation too.  

annekevdb

(0) Hearts

I am not sure about brands - but the oil based cleansers are super gentle and seem to do a very nice job of helping skin balance out oil production. I've used several non-drugstore brands that I've liked a lot - like Lush Ultra Bland.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 10 hearts
  • 14 in conversation
    • prosopon
    • polishlover10
    • lylysa
    • mafan
    • choosysusan
    • Luxeface86