carrierose

Is this my acne solution regimen??

[ Edited ]

Well, every so often I try something new for my acne and I always go up to my husband a week or so after starting it and say "my skin looks better, doesn't it?!" and it turns out to be a fluke and my breakouts continue.  However, I am hoping that I have finally found the perfect balance this time and that I may have discovered my skin solution regimen!

I have tried a lot in the last 8 years since beginning my 20s with major cystic acne problems.  Dermatologist (Doryx, clindamycin), Clinique Acne Solutions foundation and 3 step system, Proactive, the natural route, Clarisonic, etc.

Here is what I do now:

AM

-wash face with honey.  Yep, that's it, honey.

-MURAD Essential-C Day Moisture SPF 30

(-my makeup routine includes Smashbox primer, Dior or Revlon foundation, concealer, NARS loose powder, I haven't changed this)

PM

-wash face with Origins Frothy Face Wash

-Origins A Perfect World toner

-Clarisonic 2x a week

-MURAD Pomegranate Exfoliating Mask 1x a week

-PeterThomasRoth DeSpot on chin and cheeks

-Josie Maran Argan Oil with tea tree oil added all over face

I'm hoping this continues!!  I have small whiteheads occasionally but no huge painful cysts, and those are the ones that scar and ruin my face for at least 8 months.

Good luck to everyone else searching for their solution.

carolang

Re: Is this my acne solution regimen??

I've had some success recently as well! In general I have a lot of tiny bumps on my forehead... wouldn't call them whiteheads, but sometimes they are more inflamed/exaggerated. I would get a whitehead or two on my chin per week. I am working to get rid of old acne marks on my cheeks. I have blackheads but still haven't really found a cure for those but I have big pores and have just gotten used to it. This is what I have been doing... there are some similarities! My forehead looks a lot smoother and I haven't gotten a white head in weeks!

AM

-Wash face with Orange Essence Facial Cleanser with Orange oil (Burt's Bees) OR Murad's Clarifying Cleanser if I wake up really greasy

-Spritz of Lush's Tree Tea water toner

-Ole Henrikson Truth Serum (has helped a lot with brightening marks!)

-Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel

-Make-up - I let my skin breath a couple days, otherwise Tarte 12 hour BB primer

-Clarisonic 2-3x week (I do this in AM)

PM

-Wash face with Origins Frothy Face Wash

-3x week argan oil only (this has helped control my oil production so much) - I used to mix it with tea tree oil but be careful, it still may not be diluted enough and you may get a chemical burn on your skin/redness from it. Now I generally spray a little of my Lush Tea Tree Water spray toner before applying the argan oil

-2x week benzoyl peroxide product

-2x week retinol product

-1x week Origins Charcoal mask (helps with oil production)

-1x week Proactiv sulfur mask (I find my acne responds best to sulfur - benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid don't seem as effective... I LOVE this mask)

-Moisturize with Clinique DD gel or a sample of Ole's pure transformation cream

What I removed:

-Harsh exfoliators!! I used to use an exfoliating face wash MORNING AND NIGHT. Yikes. Acne prone skin = sensitive skin. Bad idea. Once or twice a month I use Philosophy's resurfacing peel which is an exfoliator+chemical activator. I use this if I start to notice dry patches on my cheeks.

I think I might try the maracuja oil next... there are some natural sites that sell it online for super cheap so I would not buy Tarte's... but I hear its high in vitamin C which is great at brightening the skin/marks and is not as heavy as argan oil (maybe a summer alternative?).

Good luck everyone!! 

carrierose

I'm still doing the same thing and it's working!  I had NO "active" pimples for the last week, and none at the wedding yesterday!  HOORAY!

AlwaysGlamorous

(0) Hearts

That's so great to hear! How do you like the DeSpot?

carrierose

That's one thing I won't be repurchasing.  It helps my skin feel smooth, but I haven't noticed any significant visible fading of any of my scars and I've been using it twice a day since February, almost through a whole bottle.  I can't use the stronger stuff with Hydroquinone since I am pregnant.

AlwaysGlamorous

Thanks for the feedback! Very much appreciated from a fellow "spotted" gal

tuesdaym

Thanks for posting this! I too have cystic acne that started when I was 19 years old, and am still searching for my HG skin care regimen. I am excited to try washing with honey! I personally have had good luck with Boscia Soothing Cleansing Cream, but it is a bit pricy so I would like to find another solution! I also would like an update in a month like jennypenny1995 requested!

jennypenny1995

Would love to hear if you're on the same products a month from now because I struggle with the same thing.  Try a line, then change a line, try a line, then change a line.  Ugh!

carrierose

(0) Hearts

Will do!  I sure hope I'm doing well a month from now because it's my brother's wedding and I'm in it, I would love to have clear skin!

kalex

I am dying to know just how you wash your face with honey...  I'm picturing honey getting in my hair and it's not pretty!

carrierose

It actually comes off super-cleanly!  If you search "wash your face with honey" you can find how to do it...just wet your hands, massage honey in between fingers until it is warm, spread on face and massage in, and then rinse off.  I usually leave mine on a little bit, maybe one minute.

crayzeeRN

(0) Hearts

Literally straight up honey from a bottle?? I'd be licking it off my face haha!

I get maybe one cystic acne every couple months and I know how painful they are; can't imagine having them on a regular basis! Glad to hear you found something that works for you!

carrierose

Yep, straight from the bottle.  The less filtered (more raw) you can find the better. :smileyhappy:

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

Oh i've been wanting to try using honey as a mask. I hear good things and bad things about it. I'm just afraid my skin won't like it!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 12 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • kalex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • carrierose
    • jennypenny1995
    • tuesdaym
    • crayzeeRN