Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Is the Bobbi Brown Face Base meant to be a moisturizer and primer in one?

I purchased the Bobbi Brown Face Base yesterday after hearing RAVE reviews. Today, I tried it and put my foundation directly on top after letting it set on my face with no additional primer. By lunch, the foundation had broken up quite severely and redness was most definitely on display! Should I try it as a 2-in-1 with a different foundation or add another primer on top?

Re: Is the Bobbi Brown Face Base meant to be a moisturizer and primer in one?

Bobbi Brown's Face Base can be considered a moisturizer first that merely offers benefits like enriched hydration, anti-oxidant production, and anti-aging properties which can in turn be considered priming aspects. For example, make up will apply and wear better on well moisturized skin versus skin that is dry or dehydrated; however, a moisturizer's composition is different from a traditional makeup primer which forms more of a barrier atop skin to serve as a "shield" that locks in your skin care products and keeps makeup from settling into problem regions (dry patches, enlarged pores, fine lines, etc.).

Depending on your skin type, foundation formula you use (along with any additional products applied on top such as blush, bronzer, highlight, powder, etc.), and even external conditions in your environment (for example, if it's super humid where you live, your skin may be better apt to have an actual primer incorporated), the Face Base may or may not be adequate as a full 2-in-1 (moisturizer and primer) for you. I'd definitely recommend experimenting with this product more to see if maybe it's better for lighter-wear makeup days where you may not be in your makeup for long periods of time or may not require your look to be as long-lasting, but also try it as just strictly a moisturizer and add a primer on top to see if they still marry well together so makeup wear is improved and skin doesn't feel weighed down.

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing