Answer
glamourforever
Impossible Late Onset Acne

Help! As a teen I had perfectly clear skin with little to no effort. With age, I have started to get breakouts that are getting worse and worse each time. I've tried just about everything including gentle cleansers like purity by philosophy, mary kay skin care, arbonne, proactiv, products with salycilic acid, products with benzole peroxide, neutrogena, Clean and Clear, Biore-- When I try a new routine I stick to a strict twice a day policy, use it for a long time in hopes that it will "kick in", try to avoid touching my face and so on and so on... Every time I seem to go through oily spells and breakouts followed by dry skin, scabby breakouts, and under the skin painful bumps. Any reccomendations would be appreciated :smileyhappy: FYI most breakots started on the chin area, and have begun to appear around the mouth over the past several months, occasional single blemishes appear on the forehead, rarely ever on the nose or cheeks, although there are a few visibly clogged poors in little patches on my cheeks about a 1/2 inch from the nose, scattered between the upper lip and eye.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
This is an excerpt of the original post.View the full conversation
kalex
Answered

I feel your pain -  I'm 30 and am still dealing with breakouts on my chin and along my jawline.  Like the other posters mentioned it is likely hormonal, but not the same kind of hormonal as teen acne.  Teen acne and adult acne generally don't respond to treatments the same way. Because your skin is more mature and can't handle all of the stripping products like Proactive and Clean & Clear are doing to your skin, it's likely causing your skin to freak out further.

If you can't/don't want to go to a dermatologist, I suggest pairing down your skincare and using things more targeted towards adult skin instead of focusing on just acne.

Suggested routine - AM -

Gentle cleanser (like Cetaphil, Purity)

Acne treatment (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P188311&categoryId=B70)

Balancing Moisturizer (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P116805&categoryId=RPYMAL&navAction=jump)

SPF (if it's not already in your foundation or choosen moisturizer)

PM -

Gentle Cleanser

Retinol for anti-aging and anti-acne (http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P251529&categoryId=B70)

Moisturizer

Eye Cream

xmissmaryx
(0) Hearts
I agree with Kalex!
You should use something gentle in the morning or just rinse well with no soap and then something with acne fighting ingredients in the evening. I really like Neutrogena Oil Free face wash and I use Spectro Gel in the morning... It seems to be working pretty well, although I am also on a sulphur prescription and am using DEFRIN creme at nighttime
Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 6 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • tenngal
    • kalex
    • katie1724
    • mermadelove
    • xmissmaryx
    • raja12
    • glamourforever