heather101

If I have patches of blemishes should I get a concealer or a full cover foundation?

(0) Hearts

I have a lot of redness and acne on my cheeks, so would a full cover foundation work better than applying  concealer all over my cheeks?

lylysa

Re: If I have patches of blemishes should I get a concealer or a full cover foundation?

(0) Hearts

It really varies by the products and formulations used, be it on their own or in conjunction with other products.

Foundations are precisely meant to provide that, a foundation. They're meant to even out skin tone and to be used on your entire face or at least the majority of your face.

Concealers act as a targetting product, designated to be applied on specific areas that are normally more troublesome or aren't fully masked or addressed with a foundation. 

Consistency and formulation is also very important, more than often, concealers will be thicker or more densely pigmented then foundations because the general public doesn't want a foundation that is too thick, since concealers are used in smaller, more concentrated areas to address those stronger concerns (redness, blemishes, dark spots, hyperpigmentation, scarring, dark circles), it's okay to have the formula be a bit richer and more pigmented because you're not wearing it all over your entire face.

Though there are fuller coverage foundations available and even lighter textured concealers, it's important to play around and experiment with what combination and what products work for you.

My best advice is on primed skin, apply an even application of foundation first and see how much of the redness that alone tones down, from there, dab/pat concealer on more prominent areas that are still very visible. Since you have acne, try to find an oil free formula as to avoid clogging your pores. From there, you can buff back over the areas to blend them back into the foundation or even add a tiny bit of foundation over it to mask it and again, blend it back.

Another option is using a corrector or neutralizer. If the redness on your cheeks and from the acne is very red or deep in color, or even larger in area covering, a neutralizer can help by combating the redness with a color opposite on the color wheel. Green primers (Smashbox and MUFE) are great as red and green are opposite on the color wheel, Lorac also makes an Oil Free Neutralizer which is pale yellow (available on Lorac's website and online, since green is composed of blue and yellow, the yellow aspect can counter redness as well). Primers will allow your make up to rest better on your skin and prevent caking and settling of products into pores, blemish areas, or lines. The neutralizer from Lorac can be mixed with your foundation or applied to primed skin before you begin your complexion make up.

Some great foundations to look into for your skin type and issues you want to address would be Tarte's Amazonian Clay 12 Hour Foundation, MUFE's Velvet Mat, and Kat Von D's Lock It. For concealer, try Murad's Acne Treatment concealer (smooth creamy formula, great for spot emergency treatments/cover ups as well), Smashbox High Definition concealer (liquid, light weight, if need be, you can build up), and Benefit's Boi-Ing (rich, creamy concealer, run your concealer brush through product then dab/pat it on the back of your hand to warm it up so it spreads and applies smoother).

mkupgk

Re: If I have patches of blemishes should I get a concealer or a full cover foundation?

Foundation b/c concealer makes my blemishes look cakey

carrierose

I honestly find that using both is the only thing that works well enough for me to be happy, though in the wrong lighting you can still see the marks.  I use UD 24/7 concealer pencil and usually Revlon Colorstay Foundation, THEN I even use a mineral foundation of some sort on top as a setting powder to cover even more.  Though I am trying to move away from that and will be trying NARS loose powder starting tomorrow, it just arrived in the mail.

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 3 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • carrierose
    • lylysa
    • heather101
    • mkupgk