Answer
nikki312
I have acne only on my cheeks.

I have acne only on my cheeks. Nothing on my nose, chin or forehead, why is this? And what could be causing cheek acne? I have oily skin.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 5
cherrybombtastic
Answered

Other than watching what foods you eat, try to change your pillowcases every other day. Change your towels twice a week and clean your cell phone with alcohol every other day. Since you're not asking for any product recommendations, all I can say is stick with a routine for your skin and avoid sunscreen for the time being. Just wear a hat and avoid the sun as much as possible. I hope this helps and good luck!

powderedpeach
Answered
(0) Hearts

The pores on your cheeks are smaller than the ones in your T-zone, which means that when you produce more oil than usual for whatever reason, it's more likely to clog and much, much more likely to become inflamed.  

There are also a lot of things that can trigger cosmetic acne on the cheeks, which is almost always a factor.  Hair products are the worst offenders, and there are very few noncomedogenic products to point to.  However, a general rule of thumb is to occasionally use a clarifying shampoo to remove build up, and avoid pomades and hairsprays.  For styling products, silicone serums are the best choice, and you'll also want to be sure you're not using more shampoo or condition than necessary, which won't rinse properly.  And wear it up when you can to keep it off your face.

Secondly make sure you're removing eye makeup properly and not using any eye creams or concealers that are too emollient for your skin type.  A lot of us don't really think about how these products can travel away from the eye area, but they definitely do.  After using an eye makeup remover at night, you should be washing your whole face with a mild cleanser that's safe to use over the eye area to remove residues and keep your eye area healthy.  

Thirdly, we use more cosmetics on the cheeks than we do on most other parts of the face, so if you love foundation, primer, concealer, powder, blush, bronzer, highlighter... That's a lot of product!  This creates a lot of friction to blend and to remove.  Furthermore, blush is one of the most comedogenic products circulating today, and the more pigmentation or shimmer, the worse it is for acne.  Doesn't matter if it's powder either...D&C red dyes are a huge cause of breakouts, and the emollients that bind pressed powders are also problematic. 

If you can find a product that is multi-tasking and noncomedogenic for day-to-day use, you may see an improvement.  I like Clinique blush in Aglow, which is somewhere in between a bronzer, highlight, and blush.  Setting liquid foundations with loose powders or trying mineral makeup also helps a lot of people.  I would try to stick with oil-free powder blush/bronzers that are matte and avoid any cream or stick concealers.   Antibacterial brushes from Sephora brand and Tokidoki also really help problem skin, and keep you from using chemicals to clean your brushes.

Also makeup remover wipes are really rough on this area and just don't cut through a lot of makeup.  I like Clinique cleansing balm, which gets off everything.  Just be sure to follow with a cleanser. Adding a chemical exfoliant into the mix will also help.

Everyone mentions pillowcases, but you also might need to watch out for fabric softener.  Definitely not good to press your cheek against for eight hours or dry your face with.  It blocks absorption, clogs pores, and irritates the skin.

Cheeks are also a common spot for dermatitis, so you could have some allergy issues that you need to address.  A dermatologist will have to diagnose you.

dianabt
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hi nikki312, 

I know how you feel, I used to break out only on my nose or chin but a lot more lately I end up with those awful pimples on the cheeks. I found that most of the time mine were due to products that were far too heavy or emollient on my skin (creams,makeup, etc.) Make sure you use products that are oil free and try to stick to gel cleansers rather than creamy or milky ones. :smileyhappy: 

As a spot treatment, I like the Origins Super Spot Remover Acne Treatment Gel. It's not too harsh or intensely drying on the skin. It also contains salicylic acid to beat bacteria, caffeine to calm the skin and red algae to relieve redness. 

Super Spot Remover™ Acne Treatment Gel

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
missmaryjane
Answered
(0) Hearts

everyone is going to recommend that you change your diet, or your cleanser, or your pillowcases!  But these people do not understand acne.  Yes, of course, if you haven't tried these methods, go ahead and try them.  They may work for you.  However, if you're like I was, you'll find that you are genetically predisposed to this condition.  The only thing that is going to solve acne like this (if in fact you have real persistent acne and not the fugitive, fix-it-with-proactiv-kind) is a retinoid prescription.  Retin-A, Tazorac, etc.  If you have persistent acne in your cheeks you will need to do this, or you will end up with scars.  Good luck!!! :smileyhappy:

242girl
Answered
(0) Hearts

Hey nikki,

well I use to have a lot of problems with acne and studied alot about it. The first thing to do with location of it being on just your cheeks means it might be heredity. Also observe your diet a lot I know some foods cause acne more so then others.    Make sure your using a oil free make up also. 

Hope you get it under control hun:smileyhappy: 

Question Stats
  • 5 answers
  • 2 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • cherrybombtastic
    • 242girl
    • nikki312
    • dianabt
    • powderedpeach
    • missmaryjane