MsBeans

How do I know if I'm purging, breaking out, or allergic?

My face! My blotchy, dry yet oily face! So I recently purchased the Dior Pro youth sorbet creme moisturizer and 3 days in have developed some acne. normally, I breakout once a month and then it goes away. i know it's not that time of month.

ive read all about the purging process (which I know some day is false).

How long do I wait to see if my skin is just getting use to it?

Has as this happened to you with a moisturizer? And how long did you wait it out?  Please help! 

aviscardi

Re: How do I know if I'm purging, breaking out, or allergic?

It shouldn't come from a moisturizer so i would just discontinue use. 

I have a few red marks on my face that i think i picked at (i know i know), and now its driving me crazy. Plus i think sleeping on that side isn't helping, and its not raised either

Missie772

Ole Henrickson Truth Serum made me break out in hives from an allergic reaction. I think it may the be the Vitamin C. Within 10-15 minutes, my face got really hot and I started feeling itchy. I immediately washed my face to get it off but the damage was already done. It took a day or two for the hives to go away. No bueno.

I don't think it is an allergic reaction. It is either purging or you are breaking out from it. If it gets worse, then I would return it and get a different moisturizer because it doesn't seem like your skin likes it!

jennypenny1995

An allergic reaction usually happens within minutes to hours and is either itchy or burning with usually rash.  Pimples are NOT a reaction.  instead, they are an infection of the pore that has been clogged.  Use topical benzoyl peroxide on the pimples to dry them up if they've popped.  If not, use a product with salicylic acid in it every day to keep pores unclogged.  Watch for oil in your makeup product ingredients, and be sure to wash your face twice daily.

MsBeans

(0) Hearts

thanks everyone!  I'm truly sad by the outcome. I'm super picky when it comes to moisturizer fragrances and thos one smelled amazing. I don't tend to stick to a mosturizer because frankly they stink. I had high hopes for this one but these pimples are deep. Ugh. Thanks again everyone! <3 

jellybean917

This moisturizer doesn't contain retinol or anything that would be considered "harsh". However, you could be allergic to something in it. It is formulated without a lot of common allergens, but it does contain a lot of natural ingredients, which can irritate skin.

Another option: since this is a very hydrating moisturizer, it might just be too moisturizing for you and is clogging your pores.

When it comes to moisturizer, I don't wait it out. I would discontinue use and return it.

MsBeans

(0) Hearts

I want so bad for it to work! and for the price, I just keep seeing dollar signs flyout the window. Ugh I wanna hold on to it but probably shouldn't. oh poo. 

Loricaaa

I've never had purging occur with a moisturizer (I've had it with retinoids). I've had allergic reactions using a moisturizer though. I'm assuming the Dior has retinol or a aha/bha in it? That might cause the reaction you're having.

I tried a Dior moisturizer a while back and I had really red skin after two uses and my the third day I had all these super tiny pimples all over my face! I immediately stopped using it and waited a two weeks and tried again. Same reaction.

My dermatologist told me that skin needs weeks (sometimes months) to adjust to new skincare. However, he said if I see severe redness & breakouts to discontinue use as it might show you are allergic to an ingredient.

I've had purging once I started a prescription retinoid. It wasn't too severe, around 3-4 active pimples coming out. Within two weeks of continued use of the retinoid my skin was great.

If your reaction isn't to severe I would wait it out another week or so and see how your skin reacts.

Hope that makes sense, haha. I haven't had my coffee and I'm having difficult time forming sentences today!

MsBeans

(0) Hearts

Haha! I've had those days. Most days are those days actually. I think im gunna wait it out another week to see what happens. 

TrysBeautyItems

[ Edited ]

Run run away from Dior, ended up at the derm. with a strong rx. all caused from a tester at a Dior counter. If your face doesn't settle down very soon, visit the dermatologist. Is the blotchyness from Dior too? If so, stop everything for awhile and let the skin breath. Slowly add your skincare/makeup back into the routine, one by one, Dior may also be reacting to your other products.

MsBeans

(0) Hearts

You would think that for the price all of their products would be perfect. unfortunately, the blotchiness is not from dior. Just my normal skin. *playing tiny violin" :-/

LCResz

Cyll posted a great article on this very topic a few days ago. Hope it helps you!

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Off-Topic/Purging-or-Breaking-Out-Article/m-p/737221/highlight/true#...

MsBeans

(0) Hearts

Ooooh! Nice find. Definitely makes sense. Hmmmm. Now that I think of it, I did use a new exfoliator a day or so before the new moisturizer. Maybe that was it. hmmmm. Oh, I wish skincare was simpler.  Thanks for sharing the article. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 12 replies
  • 9 hearts
  • 8 in conversation
    • aviscardi
    • jennypenny1995
    • Missie772
    • LCResz
    • jellybean917
    • MsBeans