symbolicbeauty

Help with acne and acne scars.

(0) Hearts

Description of my skin:

Sensitive, dry, acne prone.

Concerns:

Acne, dry skin, acne marks/dark spots.

Current regimen:

La Roche Posay Effaclar Foaming Gel Cleanser (Every morning and night) (Also to remove my make up)

La Roche Posay Effaclar Duo Acne Treatment (Every 2 days or so)

Pond's Dry Skin moisturizer (Every time after I cleanse my face)

Clean & Clear Persa Gel 10% BP (Every day as a spot treatment only)

AcneFree Therapeutic Sulfur Mask (As a spot treatment overnight)

St.Ives Exfoliating wash (Once a week or every other week)

Makeup regimen:

Pond's moisturizer

Make Up For Ever HD Redness Correcting Primer

Physicians Formula green concealer with SA acne treatment in it

Make Up For Ever HD Invisible Coverage Foundation

Rimmel London Matte Pressed Powder

CoverGirl Cheekers Blush

(Not listing eye makeup. Kind of unnecessary. lol)

Where the acne is/what kind it is:

On my right cheek

Both Jawlines

Occasionally by my chin/mouth on the left side

Mainly whiteheads and cysts. Or whiteheads that don't form a head, that just sit there under the skin yet you can see the actual white stuff. A few blackheads on my nose.

I am mainly looking for something to get rid of my marks. Any suggestions on what the best dark spot corrector is? And something to help my random pimples.

Thanks! xoxoxoxoxox

carolang

Re: Help with acne and acne scars.

Oh also I would use a gentler cleanser esp if you skin is dry. Could be too much for your skin. I like the Origins Checks and Balances face wash (very creamy) but also there are some mornings where I just splash my face with water and wipe with a toner. Just something to test out and consider.

symbolicbeauty

(0) Hearts

Where would I be able to purchase this cleanser? Is it expensive?

arielaaaaaaaa

(0) Hearts

I agree! I have breakouts and very dry skin! Finding a balance is hard, It's either one or the other that's my problem! But the Checks and balances is a great cleanser!

carolang

(0) Hearts

Murad's Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum has really helped to fade my acne marks (which I am generally getting new ones of every week, womp womp). It is potent and there are restrictions on use (3 months on, 3 months off I believe) but it's worked really well for me. It's $60 though so I'd ask for a sample. Worked on old scarring as well. I would recommend this over the one specific for acne as this has additional things in it like vit c... why not? Both are 2% hydroquinone. I've heard people say this doesn't work for them but I think its amazing. I've also gone through half a deluxe sample like someone else said they had and its removed old scarring and new marks I've gotten week by week. I am currently taking a break from it though just since it says to.

Ditch the apricot scrub and add a chemical exfoliator. I like the Ren one mentioned below but its also pricey... I'd recommend the Ole Henriksen blue/blackberry peel its in the $30s not $50s... smells like lavender... very aromatherapeutic if you're into that kind of thing.

I also use effaclar duo. I find it works ok. I alternate that with a salicylic cream to mix things up.

I found that the clarisonic did help with the chin whiteheads I was getting. As for my cheek spots (those are the 2 places I mostly get it also) I just realized I was allergic to parabens and my NARS blush was breaking me out. Wahhhh

symbolicbeauty

(0) Hearts

I have had bad expierences with Murad. The acne kit made my super dry and irritated. It was gross..

Would the Clarisonic help me at all with my breakouts and possible help my scars?

And also, would the chemical exfoliating be fine for my sensitive skin?

jennjenn123

Chiming in with another Mural recommendation.  I've started using the Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser once every three days.  It has the chemical exfoliants glycolic acid, lactic acid (both alpha-hydroxyacids), and salicylic acid (beta-hydroxyacid).  It also has the jojoba beads that babybear04 mentioned.  Very gentle yet effective.

BP and sulfur can both be very drying, adding to your dry skin problem.  You mentioned that you use both to spot-treat.  Have you found that they're effective only on certain kinds of acne?  I only use sulfur on white heads, the kind that are really tempting to pop, because it doesn't seem to do anything for cysts.

For dark spots, I have the Murad dark spot corrector, but I'm only half way into a deluxe sample, so I can't really give a verdict other than the fact it's not a miracle product that will get rid of marks in a just a couple of weeks.

You didn't ask about this, but you didn't list any, so I have to ask, do you use sunscreen?  It took me forever, but I finally learned that chemical sunscreens broke me out.  La Roche Posay's antheos (butchered the spelling) mineral sunscreen (SPF 50) is fantastic.  I think BP makes skin more light-sensitive, and I know dark sport correctors do.

symbolicbeauty

(0) Hearts

I find that the two are more effective on zits I feel coming, or ones that are whiteheads. Not so much cysts. I used to use Loreal Paris Dark Spot Cream, which took care of all but a few minor marks. It had sunscreen in it. I stopped using it though because I felt like I was braking out because of it. But I used 2 jars of the stuff and didn't break out until after the second jar.

midnightangel

(0) Hearts

The marks will go away on their own, usually within a few months. If they don't, then they are permanent scars and the only way to get rid of them is to have them lasered out. There is no magic product, sorry.

Cystic acne also cannot be treated topically. You will need a prescription to get rid of this so seeing a dermatologist would really be in your best interest.

Surface level acne can be treated with product, although a good prescription will help that as well.

symbolicbeauty

(0) Hearts

I can't go to a derm. because of money and time. And I'm scared my face will get irritated from anything they give me..

babybear04

Put. the. St. Ives. Down. 

That was the bane of my existence.  As another user mentioned, the apricot is way too rough on skin.  It literally tears up your skin, which is especially bad for acne as it tears open any acne lesions (sometimes they're so small they're invisible to the naked eye) which in turns allows bacteria to get in there.  So my first piece of advice is to forego the apricot scrub completely.  You're skin will thank you.  If you're looking for exfoliation, try a scrub with jojoba beads.  Or give chemical exfoliation a try by incorporating a scrub, cleanser or treatment that contains AHA's/BHA's (aka salicylic and glycolic acid).  Chemical exfoliation does the same thing as scrubs, just without the abrasiveness.  This might be a more suitable choice for you if you have sensitive skin. 

I also suggest you try looking into other non-drugstore skincare products.  In my experience, I've found drugstore skincare to be a little more cheap and less effective, with many more chemical additives than necessary.  For example, I've found that pretty much every drugstore cleanser available contains fragrance, which is a huge no no in my book.  Also, a lot of moisturizers or treatments contain mineral oil, which is another huge no for me.

Sephora offers a variety of starter packs, Murad being one of them.  I think the Murad line is excellent for acne, although the cost can be a little higher than desirable. 

My suggestion to you is to really pay attention to ingredients when you're looking at a product.  Also, do some research on ingredients that are good or bad for acne.  Doing this really made a huge difference in my acne.  Also, be gentle on your skin.  Acne especially is very sensitive, and you have to be patient and gentle when trying to cure it.  Ease into new regimens, and listen to your skin. If it feels like a product is drying you out too much, ease off of it and continue to use it sparingly.  If your skin is feeling irritated, avoid any abrasive scrubs or intense treatments and give your skin a breather for a day or too.

Anyway, hope any or some of this helps!

symbolicbeauty

(0) Hearts

The Murad is a no go. Bad experiences. What products do you recommend for the AHA/BHA?

cherrybombtastic

(0) Hearts

I agree on putting the St. Ives face wash down. There are good ways to exfoliate, and that is bad news for acne-prone people like myself. While I think La Roche Posay is a good drugstore brand for acne, the other brands you're using might not be as great. For a good balancing moisturizer, try something from Korres or Murad.  I like the Korres Yoghurt Sleeping Facial, Murad's Skin Perfecting Lotion, and Murad's Oil-Control Mattifier SPF 15. I would also try forgoing makeup for a few days to let your skin breathe. Either try giving up makeup on weekends only or weekdays only to see how it goes. I hope this helps and good luck!

spedteacher74

(0) Hearts

Make sure you are cleaning your phone/cell phone daily.  They are magnets for bacteria and if you are talking on your right ear, that may be why you are breaking out on the right cheek and not the left.  Also the whiteheads/cysts on the mouth and jawline, be careful to keep your hands off your face, this too can increase your acne.  I get those "bumps" along my jawline, neck, and other areas.  I have found that using REN Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask has helped a lot.  I finally took the plunge and bought a Clarisonic and that has helped lots too.  I have suffered acne as a teen and al through adulthood.  Johnson and Johnson Blackhead Eraser Scrub (with little beads - not shells) makes a difference too.

symbolicbeauty

(0) Hearts

Hm. I have been thinking about the Clarisonic. Is it worth the money?

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

First... put down the Apricot Scrub. They cause more harm than good. The exfoliator part is made of crushed apricot seeds that have jagged edges that can cause tiny tears in the skin which turns into a breading ground for bacteria.

Also you might want to go to a dermatologist or esthetician & have those white heads looked at. It sounds like they are milia and not white heads. Milia are hard little seeds that sit under the skin. They fall off when they are brought up to the surface (when you shed the skin layers trapping it) or by being professionally removed (don't pick! It leads to scaring and it's ugly). Chemical exfoliation helps like retinol or glycolic acid. Thing is they are tricky to completely get rid of. Mine are hereditary, so they just keep coming back. Staying away from products with mineral oil & heavy moisturizers does help a bit. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • cherrybombtastic
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • babybear04
    • spedteacher74
    • midnightangel