melisa16

Good exfoliators?

I have a few acne macules, which are like acne scars but their not indents of the skin and they can lighten up away but takes a while. I heard exfoliators are good for that kind of thing. But I need suggestions on a good product that is affordable, a lot of people say the Blue Plasma, however I am a college student with no job, and cant afford that right now. 

crayzeeRN

Re: Good exfoliators?

Please- if you choose a physical exfoliator, choose one that contains round exfoliating particles. If the ingredients say that they contain any type of crushed seed (walnut and apricot are common), stay away. Those scrubs essentially use sharp little bits of seed to scrub at your face, making tiny little cuts and inviting bacteria to move right in.

My personal favorite is the Body Shop's Vitamin C Microdermabrasion. BodyShopVitCMicro.jpg

lylysa

[ Edited ]

Yup! Avoid those with actual sugar particles or coarse fruit seed powder that is ground up, those are too rough and can tear at skin, especially on blemish prone skin or if you have active pimples/break outs. The St. Ive's Apricot scrub is popular, but too rough, it's better suited for the body!

Microcrystals, jojoba beads, sugar polymers, and microbeads are soft and much more gentle!

Good reminder CrayzeeRN! P.S. I need to check that scrub out, I have the toner in that line and love it!

crayzeeRN

I actually didn't know about the sugar, thanks for adding that in!

I'm crazy about the Body Shop :smileyhappy: Just placed an order last night, all skin care is currently 40% off, time to restock!

lylysa

ENABLERRRRR!!!!!!!

Sugar works for the body and lips, but I find it too rough for the skin. Especially because the particles are like tiny cubes and those edges can scratch.

swfupload_4653188396741937872.jpg

crayzeeRN

I have no idea what you're talking about... *wink*

lylysa

Lies!!!!! All lies!!!! :smileytongue:

lylysa

Physical exfoliators are grainy and have particles you can feel which will tackle dead skin at the surface.

Chemical based exfoliants use different enzymes and acids to break down surface dead skin but also promote healthier skin cell regeneration so the portions of acne scarring or discoloration not only fade, but are work out over time as you're removing discolored/damaged portions of skin and replacing them with new and heathy cells.

A good combination of a physical and chemical exfoliator is the 2 Step Microdeliver Peel from Philosophy which uses vitamin C based crystals (so you're polishing off dead surface layers but also helping to brighten with vitamin C) and then is activated with a salicylic and lactic acid gel (SA is a beta hydroxy acid that clears pores and is good for blemish prone skin and lactic acid are milk proteins that gently help to brighten and even skin tone while remaining gentle and soothing).

Try exfoliating 1-2x a week for starters. No need to press hard or use much pressure with physical scrubs, let the particles do the work for you. To have basic upkeep, look for a glycolic cleanser (Anthony Logistics makes a great one, it's huge, isn't too pricey and lasts forever) which relies on fruit sugars and enzymes to continuously brighten and even skin tone and is gentle enough for daily use. The Truth serum Danny mentioned below is also great, I've used it on some post acne marks and seen it start to work in as little as 2 weeks. It's not greasy and won't make skin sensitive to light as it uses vitamin C to brighten!

DaniHoney

(0) Hearts

I use Bert's Bees Pore Refining. I love it and I have tried a lot of different exfoliators (cheap and expensive) because I have really dry, patchy skin, and exfoliating saves my life. I absolutely love this product and wouldn't trade it for a more expensive one.

You can get at Walmart for like $7.

I hope you like it!

cherrybombtastic

(0) Hearts

I would try o.r.g. Organic mineral peel. At first, I thought it was a gimmick because your dead skin literally rolls off, but I've noticed that while using this twice a week that it helps lighten scars and brighten my skin. I have acne-prone skin and it has not aggravated my skin. I usually don't use scrubs because they would spread my acne, and I think this chemical exfoliation is the right way to go. I hope this helps and good luck!

DTalksAll

there are so many products out there that help to lighten scars besides exfoliators. Investing in a good exfoliator is a great idea, so is looking into a toner and treatment/serum. I love the Kate Somerville Clarifying Treatment Toner. Alone, it does take a while to fade scars, but if used with other products it does help speed up the process. http://www.sephora.com/clarifying-treatment-toner-P232909?skuId=1167113 

Hands down my favorite day time serum (and I know MANY Beauty Talk beauties will agree) is the Ole Henriksen Truth Serum. http://www.sephora.com/truth-serum-vitamin-c-collagen-booster-P42343 

Vitamin C helps fight off free radicals & boost collagen production and cell turnover. It's light, and if you don't use too much then it won't be sticky, it goes well with moisturizers & makeup. Some people use it as a primer, but I like to layer a moisturizing SPF over it. 

miabt

Hi melisa16,

Sigh, acne scaring... I feel your pain!  I recently (finally) cleared my acne & have been trying just about everything to keep it clear, while lightening up those scars.  My number one suggestion is the Kate Somerville Exfolikate Acne Clearing Exfoliating Treatment.  It is extremely gentle, yet effective at detoxifying & exfoliating :smileyhappy:

Kate Somerville - ExfoliKate Acne Clearing Exfoliating Treatment

http://bit.ly/SPZwwm

xo, Mia

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 15 hearts
  • 7 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • cherrybombtastic
    • melisa16