Eliminate acne scars and also prevent new acne
Hi, mbs25. I have fought acne off and on my entire adult life and thought I’d pass along a few tips that can help prevent acne scarring and the healing process if you do get acne scars. I'll list these tips first and then list products to help lighten your acne scarring afterwards:
- The most effective way to avoid acne scarring is by preventing acne from developing into a more severe form. So don't wait to see if acne will go away on its own. Begin treatment right away, and see your doctor if your acne is unresponsive to over-the-counter treatments.
- Inflamed acne lesions are much more likely to cause scars than non-inflamed lesions, so avoid doing anything that may further irritate your skin. This may include aggressive scrubbing, harsh skin care products, squeezing the blemish, etc.
- Squeezing a pimple can force debris deeper into the follicle, spread infection and worsen a blemish. When you pick at the skin, it can cause acute inflammation and seriously damage the skin's tissue. Remind yourself that "popping" that pimple can extend the healing time and may cause a permanent scar. Even though it’s hard sometimes, allow the blemish to heal on its own.
- Unprotected exposure to the sun causes more skin damage and delays healing, therefore wearing a good sunscreen is important.
- Using tretinoin (Retin-A, Renova, Avita) speeds up your skin's remodeling process and helps heal post-inflammatory changes.
- Appropriate formulations of Alpha Hydroxy Acids (AHAs) and Beta Hydroxy Acids (BHA) that contain the correct concentrations and are at the appropriate pH also help your skin's remodeling process.
- Picking at scabs should be avoided at all costs. Scabs form to protect the healing process that is going on underneath them. Pulling a scab off before it is ready interferes with the healing and remodeling process, prolonging the time that post-inflammatory changes will be visible.
Now let's talk about products to fade your acne scars...Sephora carries several skincare products designed to lighten dark spots and acne scarring. I’ll list several since they vary in brands and prices.
First of all, there’s Clinique's Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector which is a clinically proven serum that visibly reduces dark spots, age spots and acne scarring. This lightweight, layerable serum effectively evens skin tone. Dermatologists formulated it to be highly effective—yet safe and comfortable. According to clinical trials, this product delivers results comparable to a leading prescription ingredient. You'll notice results in as little as 4 weeks. At 12 weeks, you'll see a visible reduction in dark spots, age spots and traces of acne damage. It's appropriate for all skin types and ethnicities, even sensitive skins that may not tolerate other skin tone treatments. In clinical trials, this dermatologist-developed serum was comparable to a leading prescription ingredient in evening skin tone, including a verified 53% improvement in skin tone. You can find it here: http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P257535
Next, a product that you may want to consider using to lighten acne scarring is Clinique Acne Solutions Post Blemish Formula. It is an oil-free product designed for all skin types that fades the look of marks left by pimples and minimizes the look of acne discoloration over time. You can read more about it here: http://sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P188310
If you prefer all natural products, an organic product to fade dark spots and acne scars is Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum which is a highly concentrated oil-free serum that improves the appearance of dark spots and promotes even skin tone. Perfect for all skin types, it offers remarkable results, helping to correct dark spots, acne marks and scars. Naturally powerful ingredients work to counter stretch marks, scars, and damage while bolstering collagen and elastin to boost your skin’s radiance, as well. You can read more about it at: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P94
Philosophy Miracle Worker Dark Spot Corrector is an all-over brightener and dark spot corrector designed to visibly improve the appearance of skin discoloration associated with age spots, acne scarring and sun damage. This paraben-free and sulfate-free treatment helps to reveal a more even and brighter complexion. This product delivers dramatic results without hydroquinone, making it suitable for those with sensitive skin. Research results show clinically-proven results in 4 weeks. In a 4-week study with once daily use:
- 90% showed improvement in skin radiance
- 80% showed improvement in skin discoloration
- 77% showed improvement in skin brightness and evenness
You can find out more about this product here: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P29
Murad Age Spot & Pigment Lightening Gel is a scientifically-proven formula that lightens unwanted discolorations. It improves your skin's clarity with powerful skin lightening ingredients and by exfoliating damaged cells. It doesn't work overnight, so you have to be patient and give it a few weeks before you start seeing amazing results--it really does work. You can find it at: http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P40
Lastly, I wanted to let you know about Kinerase Scar Healing Therapy, which is an excellent product to help eliminate scars. It is a transparent gel treatment designed to reduce the appearance, discoloration, roughness and discomfort of both old and new scars. Unfortunately it is no longer sold at Sephora. Sephora stopped carrying Kinerase brand all together even though it is a top quality brand that is sold in many dermatologists’ offices throughout the country. You can find Kinerase brand products at Ulta stores or you can Google it to find other locations that carry it.
Hope this helps!
Have a great day!