Answer
jenni1234
Does argan oil help with acne scars and hyperpigmentation?

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Answers: 10
dianabt
Answered

Hi Jennif1234!

I entirely agree with what has been told to you already, Argan Oil will make your skin definitely feel and look softer and healthier but may not have too much of an effect on scars. I have used the Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance serum (3 or 4 bottles over the last few years!) and have had great results. I use the serum after washing my face and exfoliating so the product goes on healthy skin cells, and have also even used it on a scar I had on the top of my arm. Both my arm and my face are a lot brighter and hyperpigmentation and scars are all faded away. Keep in mind every product reacts different to each's skin and what works for  me may not be the same for you! It is definitely worth a shot to try though. Patience is the key and remember to wear a sunscreen everyday! :smileywink:

Luv&Lipgloss, Diana
alns
Answered

my two cents:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23935660

I have been using argan oil and I think I see a good reduction on my scars (a great surprise). I decided to search about it and found a paper about it. If you need to find info about stuff, look at pubmed for articles... :smileyhappy:

keelybt
Answered

Hi Jenni1234.  Argan Oil isn't the best product to use to reduce hyperpigmentation and acne scars.  Here are a few treatments that work really well for those concerns:

Murad Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum

Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum

Clinique Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector

Even Better Clinical Dark Spot Corrector

Caudalie Vinoperfect Radiance Serum

Vinoperfect Radiance Serum

End0ra
Answered

They're not Sephora products (sorry!) but I've used Bio-Oil and plain organic rosehip oil on surgery scars and on my face and they've both really helped. They also helped with radiation scars on my chest and decollette areas.

I use them alongside good skincare products, not instead of. The Ole Henriksen Truth Serum has had a great all-round effect on my skin, including improving discolouration.

MBhullar
Answered
(0) Hearts

It is vitamin E so it should. It has definitely improved mine

Chickibum
Answered
(0) Hearts

I highly recommend looking into Tretinoin, you should ask a dermatologist. It has completely transformed my skin and gotten  rid of hyperpigmentation, and smoothed my skins texture, I think it's supposed to help with scars. 

I also really like Peter Thomas Roth 10% glycolic toner, it really helped with texture and faded my hyperpigmentation a bit, sephora has it, and it's a bit pricey but it works and lasts a long time

prettyinpa
Answered
(0) Hearts

I second the Caudalie Vinoperfect serum recommendation, I have put it on various scars, including some deep ones and it really makes a difference. Be sure to follow the directions and be good about applying it a couple times a day and it does take awhile to see results (like about a month), but it does work.

drppr
Answered
(0) Hearts

I wanted to bump this thread up since I have an answer and a relevant question.

About a week ago I bought a large bottle of pure organic argan oil online (not the Josie Maran kind), and I have been using it as a night treatment.

I can already attest that it is incredibly  helpful in fading away the scars and hyperpigmentation. I have oily/normal combination skin wit no serious acne or blemishes, but I have clogged pores on my forehead and chin (not so much on my nose). If I don't pay attention and not drink enough water the clogged pores situation gets worse and my skin look uneven especially on my forehead. On top of that, I am an obsessive picker, and I will pick at the little bumps I get under my skin due to excess sebum like nobody's business. So, I get little scars along my chin and jaw line as well as on my forehead.

Since I started using the argan oil, my existing scars have completely faded (they are not very  deep, they are just there because I can't stop picking :smileysad: ), AND pores on my forehead seem much cleaner (not smaller, yet less clogged). It has also helped to slightly reduce the appearance of fine lines on my forehead. So I am very happy with the results except for one thing...

Everyone seems to talk about how their skin drinks up argan oil and it is not greasy at all in the morning, or even that it reduced oil production  etc. Unfortunately this has not been the case with me at all. I put it on at night, it sinks in a little but not completely and in the morning my face is oily. Not a big deal, since it doesn't make my skin produce more oil (the oiliness seems to be due to the argan oil, not my skin's sebum production) or break me out, but my normal skincare routine is without a morning cleanse (I just rinse and put on sunscreen) and I would like to keep it that way.

Does any one think I should switch to Josie Maran's argan oil light? The bottle I bought is so much cheaper compared to Josie's but of course they don't have a light version, so I am conflicted.

sourpanda
Answered
(0) Hearts

I have acne scars on my cheeks and my skin has been more picky this past year (prone to breakouts).

The Josie Maran argan oil caused breakouts for me =( I'm glad I didn't get the full sized...

I have been using the tsubaki oil during day and maracuja oil during night for about a month now and have seen a great improvement in my scars. I would suggest trying a sample of any oil before purchasing just to see how your skin reacts to it. But I do think that oils are a great investment for any skincare routine! Hope this helps.

cherrybombtastic
Answered
(0) Hearts

I think it differs from person to person. I think Argan oil helps with brightening your complexion, which in turns helps with reducing scars and hyperpigmentation, but at the same time, it depends on your scars (how deep are they?) and your skin type. Because Argan oil has Vitamin E in it, it's good for scars, but personally, I've used actual Vitamin E oil and that has only caused me breakouts. Argan oil, on the other hand, moisturizes well and lessened my scars. You should sample Argan oil (try Garden of Wisdom's Argan oil. It's much cheaper than the Josie Maran's version) first before resorting to other products because Argan oil has less chemicals and if it doesn't work for you, at least you can use it on your hair. I hope this helps and good luck!

Question Stats
  • 10 answers
  • 8 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • prettyinpa
    • cherrybombtastic
    • sirrush
    • dianabt
    • jenni1234
    • sourpanda
    • drppr