Cystic acne: Your advice?

jennypenny1995

Cystic acne: Your advice?

I'm in my 30s and have cystic acne on occasion.  The most frustrating thing I think we'd all agree on is how dang long it takes to make them go away!  I'd love to hear from those of you who've dealt with these.  How do you make them go away?  How long do they stay for you?  What do you use to cover them, especially since they don't break the skin like a pimple but are just raised lumps? Thanks, and Happy St. Patrick's Day!

jennypenny1995

Re: Cystic acne: Your advice?

(0) Hearts

FINALLY!  All 3 cysts are gone, baby, gone!  I wore absolutely ZERO concealer today.  Thank you, lawd!  (...and Neosporin...and peroxide...and salicylic acid...and ice packs...)

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

I don't use it as often as I should (as in a few weeks every couple of months) but I find retinol really helps keep the cysts away. At first I get a little purging, but they subside quickly. My fave is PTR Retinol Fushion PM. It's an oil-free serum, that is so silky. I use a thicker moisturizer when on a retinol kick so I don't get dry patches. 

I can't give up dairy, I love cheese too much :smileysad: but yes it's a culprit of those annoying cysts 

jennypenny1995

Yep, I'm not parting with my chocolate milk.  No way!!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

1 cyst cleared and another at its peak.  Research show dairy triggers acne like this, but I can't give up milk!!!  Chocolate milk is a must every soon often.  I don't drink coffee at all, so cut me some slack!  Ugh!

jrooks

(0) Hearts

Hi Jenny! I have had this same exact problem for a couple years now. Clarisonic was like I took a wire brush to my skin, made my cystic 58947358234 times worse after one use, thank god I let them try it on me at a local place before I bought one. The only thing I've had a derm put me on that helped at one point was Obagi.... It was extremely expensive though and after about 2 months did nothing for me. The best success I've had is actually stepping back and cutting out a ton of stuff I was using. PTR products have been my absolute lifesaver. The best ones have been those that contain glycolic acid. Another thing is making sure to use a moisturizer with no extras, oil-free, no fragrance. REN is my other huge lifesaver here recently. Any of their products have been great. The face polish will rid you of any dead skin cells and from my experience the more I promote cell turnover the less cystic I get. I try to not wear makeup on the weekend if I can help it or at least less and this gives my face a nice break. I hope this helps! I know how horrible it can be! 

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Yes, stepping back.  Simplifying.  Most definitely doesn't hurt to do that!  THANK YOU for sharing and giving your thoughts!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

So, so, so much to think about!  Since I posted this, I've now birthed 3 cysts.  Yep, I'm feeling absolutely stunning with all this going on!  To all of you that have posted replies so far, THANK YOU.  Your support, sweet words, and advice are so appreciated!  

redhead85

As others have said, an oral antibiotic can make a BIG difference and is worth seeing a dermatologist about. I am on that, birth control, and use a topical cream (tazorac) and it's helped so much.

In terms of makeup, I recommend the MakeUp Forever full cover concealer. It's oil free and practically waterproof and highly pigmented. Make sure you get matched with the right color because if it's off, it will look off.

It's pretty thick so I have found that for covering cystic acne, it's best to warm up a drop of concealer in the palm of my hand, stipple it on the cyst with my finger to cover the area, and then use a tiny brush to blend it. A little bit of product goes a long way. It did not irritate any of my acne because it's oil free. I would have been LOST without this product when my acne was at its worst.

For powders, I have used LORAC's wet/dry foundation. That seems to provide coverage without looking cakey.

My routine was to apply foundation (Makeup Forever HD), then concealer on the big cysts, and then dust the powder with a kabuki brush. Most people didn't know I even had an acne problem.

Good luck!!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Wow!  Great ideas!  Really wanted to try the MUFE HD, but my Sephora store steered me away from it saying it would break down with oil production.  ???  

THANK YOU TONS for taking the time & energy to reply!

redhead85

(0) Hearts

I don't think you need the HD foundation for any particular reason. I used it because it was what I already had that was full coverage. As long as you have a fairly full cover foundation that works for you, I think the MUFE concealer would blend on top of it.  

JaDoreCouture

(0) Hearts

If you cant get to the derm, try the Burt's Bee Acne kit. I just bought it today because I love the acne face lotion and toner. The kit comes with the lotion, spot treatment and cleansing gel. I was researching reviews on the kit and a bunch of the reviewers rec. this kit for cystic acne. Some even said it was cured. I strongly sugggest the toner as well, about $10. The kit itself is about $30. Check out the reviews. Good luck! Oh and garlic is natures antibiotic. So up the garlic in your diet! Its good for you and even topically applied, it wont hurt you. I try to go holistic route if I can. :^)

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

LOVE Burt's Bees!  I've heard a little about their skin care, so ill def have to do more looking into it.  Thank you!!

kriscampo

(0) Hearts

Hi Jenny! I have to agree with elnxio. Try to get your dermatologist to prescribe you an antiobiotic, if youre comfortable with it. I turned thirty this year and although i still have acne, i have to say that it is completely different from when i was a teen. Cleansers and topical solutions worked well for me then but since cystic acne doesnt really surface, the medication never gets to it. I have heard that hot compressions help it come up but who would want that? lol. good luck!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Thank you so much for replying!  It's almost a 4 cyst day today.  Argh!!!!!

elnxio

have you tried visiting a dermatologist? The only thing that worked on my very persistent angry EVIL cystic bumps was my derm prescribed regimen. The best thing that worked were oral antibiotics. 

I've actually heard of many cases where clarisonic just made cystic acne worse. Most cystic acne, as we know, is caused by hormonal, internal issues. While the clarisonic is great at purging the skin of impurities on the surface, external level, it doesnt counteract the hormone/bacteria issues inside our bodies. That's why antibiotics helped and other otc creams barely made a dent..on my cystic bumps at least..

jennypenny1995

No, no derm appt...yet.  I'm a nurse, so I try diligently to stay off antibiotics unless they're truly needed.  But, THANK YOU for your reply and added thoughts on the Clairsonic vs. real issues with cystic acne.  Crazy!

triciaann12

[ Edited ]

--

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

Well said!  THANK YOU for taking the time to reply!  This is miserable to be in my 30s with less-than-great skin.  UGH!

ht2luv

Hi there! I am 34 and I suffered the same about a year ago. It popped up on my jawline and below. It was horrible! I used clarisonic with purity made simple at night to take off makeup then followed up with witch hazel toner and put on DermaDoctor's Aint misbehavin serum(worked wonders for me!). On the real angry ones I would put on Kate Somerville's EradiKate. It sorta cooled them down. To cover 'em up Clinique Matte foundation worked really well. It had nice staying power.

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

I didn't find the Clairsonic helped things or really even change how frequently I was getting cysts, nor do I see any cyclic timing of them.  But, as you know, when they appear...they're here for a nice long visit.  ARGH!  THANK YOU for replying!

lreagan

I'm struggling with the same problem. I managed to clear up all of my above the surface acne, but it's those darn cystic lumps on my chin that have camped out to stay.

I've had some mild success with Peter Thomas Roth's gentle complexion pads. I think they've made the cysts smaller and less red, but they're still there. When I run out of those I'm going to bump myself up to the maximum strength version.

I also just bought Kate Somerville's EradiKate acne spot treatment. I just started using it last night so I can't really report on how well it works, but you might look into it.

Thirdly, I just invested in a Clarisonic that I'm waiting to arrive from Amazon so hopefully that will help as well!

http://www.sephora.com/gentle-complexion-correction-pads-P114901?skuId=784611

http://www.sephora.com/eradikate-acne-treatment-P232903?skuId=1167147

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 46 replies
  • 24 hearts
  • 16 in conversation
    • katie1724
    • connieconcon
    • DTalksAll
    • carrierose