Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Constantly breaking out

I'm a teen and I constantly have breakouts on my cheeks and between my eyebrows. I've tried lots of products, (I use them for a few months before I judge them,) and none of them do anything for me! Not only do I get pimples, but I also have scars left over from previous breakouts. Help! What do I use? Any tips?

Re: Constantly breaking out

This is an old post and not sure if you are still checking, but I too also struggle with sensitive, oily and acne prone skin...very frustrating. I refused to be on Accutane. I learned that through over exfoliation and washing that while I was trying to "clean" my skin, I was actually irritating it. I now use much gentler cleansers (no exfoliating ingredients or acne treatment) and read all ingredients in my skincare...I learned in time what my skin was sensitive to. It will take time, but be gentle with your face... you only have one. 🙂

RE: Constantly breaking out

Heyy I know this is an older post but I still wanted to help. I had the worst worst worst acne and skin when I was a teen. It got cystic and everything. I used proactive, neutragena, Clinique, you name it. Nothing helped until I stopped using everything and cut milk out of my diet. I only use sunscreen in the morning and a retinol cream at night. I wash my face with a mild soap bar (from Lush) at night and only rinse my face with water in the morning to keep the good oils. Try to not use so many products on your face im sure it'll help. I know how horrible it is struggling with bad acne but don't feel bad almost everyone goes through it nothing to be embarrassed about. Good luck!

I've been wanting to try Sunday Riley's night oil or UFO oil (the UFO isn't sold in store in Canada?) 

I use kate somersvile wash and toner, with a clinique moisturizer that has 3% benzol peroxide at night and sunday riley's water cream in the morning.  

I'm thinking this oil would replace the clinique BP moisturizer.  

I used to struggle horribly with acne in my teens as I got older.  I needed accutane to clear it completely but I learned that the last thing you want to do is strip your skin.  Over-exfoliating and over-cleansing is very easy to do when you just want to get your skin clear.

I would highly recommend a gentle cleaners such as the purity made simple cleanser or the brand cereve. You want to avoid fragrances products which contribute to the irritation of your skin, this goes for skin in general with or without acne.

A treatment with salicylic acid might help.  I found a website called acne.org which has lots of helpful tips and they have an aha (an exfoliant treatment) which helped me a bit.  It was about $30 and came in a HUGE bottle but I believe there is smaller and cheaper sizes. 

After accutane, I got retin-A prescribed to me (pharma-grade retinol) and this got rid of all my scars almost entirely.  If you can't get your hands on this I would try to get a moisterizer with retinol in it.  

Lastly, I am very sorry you are suffering with this, I know it can annoying and hard to deal with it at this age.  It feels like you have tried EVERYTHING within a normal price range so I hope you find something that works.  I would try to educate yourself on ingredients to better understand what might work for you (try beautypedia).  Best bet would be trying to go see a dermatologist or even talking to your family doctor.

@RyryG 

Cleanser: Use a liquid cleanser; I like Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Wash

Spot treatment for whiteheads: Benzoyl Peroxides; Clean & Clear PersaGel is highly recommended, and it works wonders

Mechanical exfoliation: Use a scrub; I prefer Philosophy Microdelivery Exfoliating Wash (it isn't a good cleanser, though) b/c it is gritty.  Neutrogena makes good gentle ones (avoid the grapefruit or ones with menthol)

Chemical exfolation: BHA; only Paula's Choice makes good ones

Oil control: Use oil-blotting sheets throughout the day; Target makes a great inexpensive knock-off

Prescription: Retin-A (Tretinoin is the generic); if this is out of your price range, try Differin which is now OTC

Also, I recommend seeing a dermatologist.

Good luck!

Hi @RyryG,

I went through the same issue when I was your age and, based on my experience, the wisest thing you can do is ask a doctor or a dermatologist on what do or use on your skin. I think this would be a good starting point. 

😉

Eleonora

@RyryG

Teenage acne is very common, sorry you are going through it.

I suggest trying an acid wipe 2-3 times a week over the areas.  If it contains salicylic acid, that is great!

Some suggestions:

COSRX pads

N*P+FAB pads

FAB Radiance pads etc.

Avoid using acne face washes that you get in the drug store.  Use something gentle for your skin like a cream cleanser.

For me, when I break out in those areas it's usually cuz I didn't cleanse/exfoliate properly or used moisturizers too rich for me. As for fading scars, vitamin c serums or peels/masks with glycolic acid.

As for what product specifically to use, it depends on your skin (dry, sensitive, oily, combination etc).

Hi RyryG, 

What products are you currently using? Also, what type of breakouts do you usually experience? 

One of my holy grail products to prevent breakouts without drying my skin has been the Sunday Riley U.F.O Ultra-Clarifying Oil. I mix two drops into my moisturizer in the morning, and use four drops before moisturizer at night!

Bisous, 

Sian

Conversation Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing