hollypocket

Clarisonic Question

Hi everyone!

I saved all my pennies and splurged on the Clarisonic acne system! I took to using the Murad cleanser since I read a lot of people in the review section said they had great success with that.
I used it for the first time tonight, and my skin has broken out more than the level it was at earlier today. I read that the skin goes through a "purge" period, just wondering if anyone using the Clarisonic can tell me if this is a typical response?

Thanks!

MindyS5

Re: Clarisonic Question

(0) Hearts

I use mine every other night with Philosophy Purity Made Simple. My skin is oily but can get dry in patches, this isn't harsh at all and leaves my skin soft and smooth.

nebel

I haven't used the Clarisonic, but I am very familiar with the Murad line, and have found the clarifying acne wash to be too harsh for my skin- it made it way worse.  I must echo what was said above about only trying one new product at a time! good luck!

AlwaysGlamorous

(0) Hearts

I second that the Murad Acne cleanser was too much for my skin.

mxcx

(0) Hearts

I third the Murad cleanser being overly harsh. I have crazy oily and acne-prone skin, and it stripped my skin down to flakey dryness. 

DTalksAll

You should never introduce more than one new product at a time. Now you have no way of knowing if it's the cleanser or the clarisonic that is giving you issues. Purging can last a few weeks, but everyone's skin is different. I exfoliate often, and the clarisonic never made me break out more (I even went from using the sensitive brush head to the deep pore). I do experience purging sometimes with new cleansers. 

Even though the Acne brush is more gentle than the sensitive brush head, you should start off using it just 1-2x a week. 

aviscardi

(0) Hearts

Everyone's skin is different. does the acne system include the acne brush head?

Ive been using mine for about 3.5mons and haven't experienced any purging. 

jennypenny1995

In my experience, Clairisonic = angry skin.  It's simply a lot of physical exfoliation which can make the skin more ruddy, more oily, and more blemished.  And not just for a "purging" period.  Go read what Caroline Hirons says about it on her blog, or you can search my "11 Things" post from a few weeks ago where i quoted her on it.  

kd006

Absolutely! When I first used my clarisonic I have never had my skin be so bad in my life.. I was terrified and wanted to quit but I kept hearing reviews saying to just stick with it. So I did. Don't over exfoliate though. Forget the part about doing it 2x per day because that will be over doing it. Like other people said, start out with 1-2x a week and build it up as your skin gets used to the clarisonic. I now use mine once a day, sometimes skipping random days. Whenever I don't feel like I need it, then I don't use it. Everyone is different so your skins tolerance could be once a week or even once every other week, or it could be everyday. Just start out slow.

DesertRose0706

(0) Hearts

Everyone;s skin is different, but for me my clarisonic never made me break out or go through a "purge".  I don't have sensitive skin, but I do get bad breakouts if I am not diligent with my skincare routine.

carolang

I use my clarisonic 2x week with the Murad clarifying. My skin did look worse at first but I have only seen one whitehead on my chin since I started using it (I have a lot of small bumps but usually get 1-2 whiteheads/week on my chin). I think you're on track and good cleanser choice just don't overuse. Also I find the sensitive brush head with a light touch is the best; you really want to be delicate with this as its caused some people to even get broken capillaries. Stick it out for a month and see what you think then.

carrierose

I was using my acne Clarisonic system twice a day for months and my skin just got worse...I think that their recommendation to do it 2x a day is too much, I was overexfoliating, and that the acne brush may be too harsh.  I only use it twice a week now.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 13 hearts
  • 12 in conversation
    • DTalksAll
    • carrierose
    • aviscardi
    • jennypenny1995
    • DesertRose0706
    • nebel