MLGD

Bismuth Oxychloride causing cystic acne?!

(0) Hearts

I need help!  I only use a small amount of concealer along with face powder on my tiny acne scars daily (and on the occasional pimple during that time of the month) I do not use foundation and I tend to have clear skin...however after using Laura Mercier Mineral powder for 6 months (after a staff recommendation and I thought it was the best ever so I used it religiously) I developed a HUGE cyst on my face by my mouth which my dr said was cystic acne.  I have NEVER had this before and after research I believe it is from Bismuth Oxychloride...the powder is the only new product I've used and only mineral product i've ever used...could I be overly sensitive to this??  I don't think its from anything else but i'm not 100% sure...I'm open to any ideas and any products that could possibly help my skin and not cause these horrific breakouts...i've had"the cyst" on my face for about 2 months with no sign of leaving anytime soon :smileysad:   Also my husband and I are in the process of getting pregnant so medication is not an option...

Thank you for letting me vent!! :smileyhappy:

Manda

Re: Bismuth Oxychloride causing cystic acne?!

(0) Hearts

There are people who are allergic to Bismuth Oxychloride (I just happen to be one of the lucky ones).  Have you tried stopping use of the mineral foundation completely to see if it goes away?  If so, I would try it to see what happens.  Not everyone can wear mineral foundation - if you are like me, you tend to get allergic reactions from it.

mxcx

Hi MLGD!

First of all, congratulations to you and your husband! I think it's adorable that you're taking the next steps towards mommyhood and I wish you guys the best of luck. (:

As for your cystic acne.. can you describe it a little? When did you notice the cyst develop? How big is the eruption? Is it red or swollen, and is there a black or white tip on top of it? Does it hurt and is it tender when you touch it?

I'm asking these questions because I have suffered from cystic acne breakouts for years, so I'm pretty familiar with the general forms of cystic breakouts. If you only noticed the spot forming about six months AFTER you've used the mineral powder on a regular basis, I think it's unlikely that the cyst was caused by the mineral powder. If you're sensitive to the powder, it would have developed and shown signs much earlier. For example, I'm really sensitive to many brands of minerals and even some BB creams, so when I use them on my face, I'll develop deep cystic acne and whiteheads a DAY or two after applying them to my face. If you've used the mineral powder for months without noticing eruptions, I'd say it's probably other changes in your body that are fueling your breakout.

You also mentioned that the spot is by your mouth, and that makes me wonder if it has something to do with your hormones. Usually breakouts along the chin/lower parts of the face are due to hormonal fluctuations, so perhaps it has something to do with the fact that you're conceiving right now?  Did your doctor suggest a course of action for your cyst? If he/she did not, I recommend going to see a dermatologist and getting it checked out, especially because I'm not sure exactly what kind of cyst it is and if it's normal for it to stick around for two months. 

If you are afraid that it is your mineral powder, I suggest you stop using it for a couple weeks and see if it makes a difference on your skin. In the mean time, I would leave the spot be because if you try to extract it yourself or it erupts while it's still underneath your skin, it could cause severe scarring and hyperpigmentation (saying this from experience sigh..). If you get the spot cleared by your doctor/dermatologist and he/she says that it's just a cystic acne spot, you could also see an esthetician and have her do a facial extraction for you. Make sure to look into the esthetician and that she has all her credentials and a lot of experience because cystic extractions hurt and can be done wrong if not careful. 

As for topical treatments, I recommend looking into Mario Badescue's Buffering Lotion. Sephora doesn't carry it unfortunately, but it's the only product that I've found that's helped my cystic breakouts. My skin did become immune to the product very quickly though, so it might not be a long-term solution for you, but it might be a good option to look into if you don't want to do an extraction on the spot just yet.

Hope this helped!

MLGD

(0) Hearts

Thank you for responding and sharing your experiences!!

The only reason I'm thinking it could be the powder is because I have had more breakouts than normal in the past few months (mainly whiteheads but I didn't think anything of it, just covered them up and kept it moving). If and when I do break out it is always below the nose (hormonal).   I also noticed that I've been using more and more powder/concealer b.c I keep seeing new breakouts... small but new.

As soon as the weather started getting warmer (and I've been more active = more sweating) I noticed this bad boy make his grand entrance (about 2 months ago).  It initially hurt and felt like a normal "Period pimple" until I noticed about 2 weeks in it did not head.  It is still red and swollen...about 1/4" round and actually just yesterday it looks like it developed a white/yellow head (Does this mean its actually going to drain itself??!! fingers crossed!!)- it still hurts and I will leave it be.  I have been putting PTR acne spot and area treatment on it not knowing if it is actually helping but I read that it may help bring a head out  (hopefully I read right!!).  It is drying the spot out...but redness and swelling stilll remain..

I may just take a break from any mineral product and see if it helps..I'm definitely at a loss of what other coverup product I can use that hopefully will not do this!!  I will see if I can get a referral to see a dermatologist and hopefully I can get this cleared up!!!   Thank you again for sharing :smileyhappy:

mxcx

Ohh I see. I think if you noticed more active breakouts once you started using mineral makeup, then that's probably the culprit. ): 

But it's good that the cystic spot has shown a white head! Definitely wait to extract the pus until it's really "ripe" or go to an esthetician to do it; if you try and extract it now, it might break below the surface and then infect other areas, leading to more breakouts. You could try putting a warm compress on it a couple times a day to help it come out faster and to lessen the pain/swelling. It'll take a bit for the redness and swelling to go down, even after the pus comes out. That's the super big sucky thing about cystic acne; they take forever to heal and they are so painful. 

I agree with cherrybombtastic about Everyday Minerals; their line is great. The only thing is that you have to choose the right kind of base (I think they offer three or four?) for your skin or it can look cakey. But they have a really great thing where you can select samples and just pay for shipping to try out the different colors. (:

I hope your spot heals soon and that you find the right kind of makeup!

crayzeeRN

Have you tried applying heat to the spot? This can help to pull the pus (sorry, I hate that word but don't know a better one to use) to the surface and allow your skin to drain it, and the heat brings more oxygen to the area, to help it heal! Definitely don't try to pop it with force. I've learned the hard way that this only makes it hurt more and can make the cyst stick around longer.

cherrybombtastic

(0) Hearts

I usually stay away from bismuth because I have acne-prone skin. I used to be really tempted to use bare minerals when it first became popular, but when I found out that their products contained bismuth, I never thought twice about using the brand. Maybe they have changed their products since. Anyway, I digress. I use foundation from Everyday Minerals now and I have never used anything since discovering it. Other ingredients I would suggest staying away from is silica, which can be pore-clogging. Silica can be found in a lot of products, such as primers and even concealers, so keep a look out. If you're looking for products that would help keep your face clear, I would try DERMAdoctor's Ain't Misbehavin' products. I use the cleanser and serum. It's really good for hormonal and cystic acne. I hope this helps and good luck!

MLGD

(0) Hearts

Thank you for the info about silica  - I will definitely ensure that I do not use this ingredient either!!  You haven't been the first to recommend DERMA so I think I may start that regime.  Do you use any other concealer/powder or just everyday minerals foundation??

Thank you for sharing!!

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 hearts
  • 5 in conversation
    • cherrybombtastic
    • Manda
    • crayzeeRN
    • mxcx
    • MLGD