Nuke

Best products/treatments for cystic acne?

I developed some cystic acne on my cheeks and forehead in the last month or so, and I haven't had breakouts this stubborn since I was a junior in high school about five years ago (my acne that year was TERRIBLE due to college applications stress, haha).

I'm finding it really hard to deal with because I usually just get the pimples that come to a head and are gone within a few days as long as I don't touch them and make sure to gently and diligently cleanse. I'm not sure how to effectively treat deeper cystic acne,  so I need some help :smileysad: I already looked through the BT boards and tried a few products that I saw were recommended after some research (I've tried Clearasil, Clinique spot treatments, Prid drawing salve, and a two-day sample of the Murad spot treatment). I've also just recently received Dr. Dennis Gross's Correct & Perfect, but I'm afraid that all these products I've been trying aren't actually effective for cystic acne.

Is there anything else you guys can suggest? Should I just go to my derm? I haven't been there in a good few years because my breakouts haven't been bad in as long. I fear I'm developing adult acne now that I'm 22, haha. 

Any thoughts would be appreciated! I'm also interested in any teas or supplements (such as the Pure Skin® Clarifying Dietary Supplement) that you guys would suggest.

Thanks!

DesertRose0706

Re: Best products/treatments for cystic acne?

i have found 2 products that really help keep my clear skin of acne, including cystic acne.  the first is a 5% benzoyl peroxide cream with tea tree oil from DDF, which you can find at Ulta.  the second is a 10% sulfur mask by Peter Thomas Roth, which Sephora carries.  i apply the benzoyl peroxide cream to my face every night before bed and use the sulfur mask a couple times a week. 

krunce

Heya Nuke!,

You're 22 are you? If you're still in school, then you're in midterm week right now, so you probably have an easy answer to why you're experiencing cystic acne right now. You're stressed out.

I would still go to my derm to find out what the best treatment is. Most topical acne treatments that you could buy are drying treatments, that use zinc oxide, sulfur or salicylic acid to somehow dry out that spot of your skin and just sorta kill whatever's in there.

My impression is that only actually works if your pimple has come to a head. Otherwise, I always feel like it doesn't work because it's all embedded too far in the pore. Benzoyl peroxide might be a better option, but you should probably go to your derm.

daisydaisies

I really, really like the Dr. Dennis Gross Correct & Perfect. It's one of the few things that has actually worked on my cystic acne. Have you tried it yet? The first time I used it, I did it as a mask (not on the whole face, just on the spots) for 3 nights in a row. It made a huge difference in clearing the spots up quickly and without scarring.

I agree with beautytester that a clay mask over the whole face can also do a lot of good calming things down. I've used Origins before, and it did make a difference in diminishing the redness.

kelsey808

I suggest making an appointment with a derm but in the meantime maybe try Mario Badescu's Buffering Lotion! it's specifically designed to treat large, deep, cystic acne and it's not ridiculously expensive ($17), hope your skin clears up soon!

ChicDabbler

Hopefully others have better suggestion, and I think someone asked about this on BT before (you can search for it). The treatment products you mentioned treats the acne on the surface. If they are deeper then you probably want something that draws things out instead of dries out things on the surface. Unless you have dry skin, I suggest a mud/clay mask like Origins charcoal, Murad clarifying or Glamglow white.

It is true that your diet affect your skin, but that depends on the individuals. For example, I know that any time I eat anything spicy (jalapenos, kimchi, red chili pepper) I will definitely be getting some pimples regardless of what skincare I use. Bacteria can also cause pimples so refrain from touching your face, clean your phone and replace your pillowcase frequently.

If none of those works, then see a derm.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 hearts
  • 6 in conversation
    • ChicDabbler
    • Nuke
    • kelsey808
    • DesertRose0706
    • krunce
    • daisydaisies