Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Best product for acne scars

I am looking for the best treatment for acne scars. I used to break out really bad as a teenager and of course picked at it, because what 16 year old doesn't. Anyone have any luck with their regiment to treat acne scars. I have looked into going to get this professionally done, but if I can do it at home where its more convenient, I would much rather do that. I personally, have combination skin, fairly light, so the scars show up pretty easily. Any advice is welcomed 🙂 Thank you! 

Re: Best product for acne scars

I've been using Lush's Grease Lightning. Controls my current acne and fades my scars! I love it! I apply twice a day, and it may dry your skin slightly, so don't forget that moisturizer!

@KaylaU8

When you say "scars", do you mean hyperpigmentation or textural scars?

Hyperpigmentation:

- Acid Exfoliation (glycolic, lactic, Mandelic)

- Vitamic C

- Retinol

- SPF

- Time

Some old pigmentation can be stubborn.  You might need to see a physician to address that - either hydroquinone, deeper peels, laser, etc.

Textural Scars:

- Visit a Dermatologist or Cosmetic surgeon/physician.  This cannot be addressed through OTC treatments (no matter how they market).

Anonymous Insider

Professional laser treatments are effective. At home you can use glycolic acid peels, working up to TCA peels. See Platinum Skincare care site, lots of info there. 

You have to get this prescribed but Retin-A did WONDERS for my skin.  I went on accutane and my skin was perfect except for the acne scars leftover.  I went off Accutane in August of last year and all my scars are pretty much gone.  I know this isn't the easiest thing to get your hands on and you need to discuss with your doctor the side effects etc. but this worked well for me and its something that is easy to incorporate into your daily routine at home. 

At home products take longer to see results. Spf daily or they will get darker and light exfoliation for cell turnover.

Hi @KaylaU8,

I suggest the Murad Rapid Age Spot and Pigment Lightening Serum. My sister has used this on her acne scars and has seen significant lightening of the skin and a more even skin tone. 

I hope this helps! 

Best Wishes,

Janean

Hello, @KaylaU8!

I used to have horrible cystic acne that I'd pick at and of course it resulted in scarring. I was Accutane for 9 months and that cleared up all the acne (and i haven't gotten a bad breakout since, just little zits here and there!) but unfortunately it hasn't done much for my scars. My derm said the scarring would heal itself after a year, but it's been 3 years since I've been off it and no change. I went back last summer and asked if anything can be prescribed, and she gave me Retinol. While that helps a little, it's incredibly drying and I'd rather not relive my Accutane days where I had peeling skin nonstop.

ANYWAY, I've done lots of comparing with products that are over the counter, i.e. found at Sephora, and I have to say Drunk Elephant's C-Firma is one of the best for this. In store, I've had a lot of SA's try to turn me onto Caudalie's VinoPerfect Serum, but the dropper + exposing the serum to air/light is a turn off to me. Also, according the BeautyPedia (I think that's the site?) the active ingredients don't even have enough potency to do much anyway. However, C-Firma's 15% Ascorbic Acid packs a punch as far as products you can find without a prescription. 

Keep in mind though, whatever product you do use, it'll take weeks, even months, before you'll see a result especially if the scars have been around for a while. I cannot yet speak for C-Firma's ability (I've only been using it for about a month) to rid the worst of my cystic acne scars, but it's doing wonders on the pigmentation I get from the occasional zit. 

Some qualms about C-Firma:

- Scent, there's no added fragrance to this product so what you're smelling is natural. Some describe the scent as hot-dog-like (lol!) or even pumpkin-y. Either way, the scent does not linger so don't let that deter you

- Can be drying. I have not experienced this (I have dry/normal skin), so with combo skin I think you should be fine and also incorporate a good moisturizer!

- The color. If you have an prior knowledge about vitamin C serums, you'll know that when the color starts turning yellow/orange that the product has oxidized or gone bad. The color of this serum is natural orangey so you might think the worst. However that's the natural coloring and as long as you use the bottle up in 12 months, everything should be fine.

- The price. Yes this is pretty pricey, but my prescription retinol was $100 with more adverse side effects. It's true that you don't need to spend a lot of money to get things that work, BUT for a serum, I would not trust anything from the drugstore.

Also a word of advice, to get the most out of your serum(s) or any product in general, don't forget to exfoliate 2x a week! This gets rid of dead skin lingering around and allows products to penetrate deeper so there's a better chance of healing older scars. My favorite atm is OleHenriksen's Transforming Scrub!

Since you have fair skin, I think you'd see results pretty quickly, so I'd give C-Firma a shot! Keep in mind, with any Vitamin C product to use sunscreen always! 

Good luck 😄 

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 8 Hearts Given
  • 8 Contributors
testing