Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Best face mask for acne prone skin?! Anything out there able to control it?! HELP!

Hi everyone! 

I'm looking for a good face mask to use once a week, that will help control my acne and prevent further breakouts. I know there are a ton of good ones out there, just trying to find something that will FINALLY work for me!

Thanks, y'all. I appreciate it 🙂 

Re: Best face mask for acne prone skin?! Anything out there able to control it?! HELP!

Hi @Kristengrab12

I have pretty acne prone skin and one of my favorites is First Aid Beauty Skin Rescue Purifying Mask With Red Clay. It's a peel off mask and I think that it really helps reduce my current breakouts. 

My coworker uses Fresh Umbrian Clay Purifying Mask as a daily spot treatment or as an all over mask. Umbrian Clay is great for balancing, purifying, and clarifying the complexion. (:

XOXO,
Marieke

Re: Best face mask for acne prone skin?! Anything out there able to control it?! HELP!

I like Farmacy Honey Potion Face Mask. Honey has natural antibacterial properties. The mask goes on like and smells like honey but when you massage it in it gets warm and turns creamy white. I love it.upload_5240919122280207614.jpg

Lush has a really great mask called the Mask of Magnanimity. I have oily, acne prone skin and it's great for existing breakouts and preventing further ones. It has peppermint oil so it helps combat the redness, and it has some type of ground beans that is used as an exfoliate to get rid of dead/dry/flakey skin which you don't think you need, but you really do haha! lush.jpg

Do you have dry, combination or oily skin? If you have oily skin, Murad Clarifying mask is great. Origins Charcoal and Glamglow Supermud are great for combo skin. Chantecaille Detox, Fresh Honey and Farmacy Honey Pot are all moisturizing and clarifying as well.

If you get those big red inflamed acne that are under the skin and painful, and you have sensitive or dry skin, try Karuna Clarifying sheet masks. It's the only thing that provides lightweight hydration, soothes and clarifies my skin.

Popular ingredients to fight acne are salicylic acid and sulfur, for some salicylic works better and for other sulfur works better. If sulfur works better for you, then try Peter Thomas Roth, Dr. Dennis Gross or Mario Badescu sulfur masks.

I think it's a difficult question to answer, as what works for one person isn't guaranteed to work for another. Skincare is generally very trial-and-error, but luckily Sephora has a generous return policy and will usually give samples if you request (and, being VIB, you're clearly a regular customer and not just someone who comes in asking for free stuff). That said, I'd look for something with kaolin/bentonite/sulfur as well as soothing ingredients.

Beyond that, BHAs are going to help get deep into the pores and clean them out and AHAs will get rid of the dead skin that blocks pores, but I might consult with a dermatologist before trying any serious acid treatments like masks or peels. Mild, brief-contact acids might be okay—like a face wash/toner/exfoliating pad with AHA <4% and BHA < 1%—but higher than that, I wouldn't risk it solo due to potential drying (putting oil production into overdrive) and irritation. Also, I'd stay far away from physical exfoliants.

This PTR mask has pretty phenomenal feedback, if you're okay with the ingredient list. (Dear God, it will either post zero links or a million links . . . sorry): http://www.sephora.com/therapeutic-sulfur-masque-acne-treatment-masque-P3617?skuId=1446178

Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
Photos2
  • lush.jpg
  • upload_5240919122280207614.jpg
testing