Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin

BODY ACNE: WHAT WORKS

Body acne sucks. It sucks more than having acne on your face because it seems more irregular. Living with it is a pain, too because you can't do things like go to the beach or wear a low cut top without feeling super self conscious. Fortunately, mine is almost all under control now with the exception of a minor breakout here and there, but it's still annoying. I've learned a lot from my years of acne and I'd like to share what worked for me. I'm also looking for more tips if possible.

Hormones are a big factor. Teenagers are more prone to body acne for a reason, and growing up probably was a big factor to my back and chest acne. I'm 21 now and it's not so bad. This isn't the greatest thing to hear but it's the honest truth.

An equally big factor is hygiene. Yes, you may think everyone has good hygiene but not always. Here are some great tips that helped me a lot:

• If you have long hair, wash it more often or wear it up when you sweat more like in the summer. Hair products can build up and get transferred onto your back, causing breakouts. Honestly I only wash my hair every couple of days because I have oily hair, but being more conscious about it being on my back has helped a lot. And dear god please shower daily... this is self-explanatory.
  • While showering, wash your hair away from your back. I used to wash out conditioner (harder to wash out than shampoo) while my hair was down on my back, so conditioner would get all over my skin. Even though you're clean from the shower, the residue is still there and clogs your pores. What I do now is tilt my head sideways so that conditioner doesn't wash past my hairline. Some people like to wash their hair upside down, too, but I find that that makes conditioner leak on my face, which is just as annoying.
  • Change your bedsheets!! My lazy teenage self would never change the bedsheets every week. Your natural oils and dead skin and all of that stuff gets into fabric, and every time you crawl into bed you're essentially rolling around in your own filth. This is especially necessary if you've got oily skin like myself. Change your pillowcase even more often. You could also be allergic or reacting to your laundry detergent. Try out a different formula and see if that improves your skin. This latter part never affected me really, but I hear it does help a lot of people.
  • Use products that combat body acne. I literally survive on the Murad Body Acne Spray (or whatever it's called) which is the most helpful body acne product I've ever used. It has a 360 degree nozzle so you can spray upside down on your back! It's based with salicylic acid to fight breakouts and helped my skin after just 2 days. I avoid using it during the day though because it has a strong scent and a minty feeling that can linger. I use it at night to keep breakouts at bay. When I forget, my chest acne gets worse. I also love the Neutrogena body scrub. The one below and the pink grapefruit one are great (the one depicted is better but not available in Canada 😞 ) because there are exfoliating beads, which lead to my next point.upload_7792275118639452932.jpgupload_6402679059283977403.jpg
  • Exfoliate your body. Use a loofa or a 2-sided puff in the shower so that you're getting rid of dead skin to let new cells help your skin. When your pores are clogged, bacteria causes breakouts and it's harder to wash your back than it is your face. The best drugstore one I hear is the Neutrogena exfoliating one (not the generic yellow or the pink grapefruit.. I can't remember because it's not available in Canada). Use a heavier body scrub a couple of times a week to really slough away dead skin. You'll see the difference immediately.
  • Wear clothes made from better material, like cotton and silk. This isn't always doable but it's very helpful for your PJs. You sleep for quite a few hours, and no one is really going to see you while you sleep. Find a good set of cotton or silk PJs which are more comfortable anyway. These materials help your skin breathe which will prevent breakouts from being irritated more.
  • Drink plenty of water. This is essential for not just acne but skincare in general. It's the easiest thing to do and has the best effects. Also improve your diet. I'm not saying you should become a vegan, but lower your intake of sugary and unhealthy foods. Have some fruit once in a while, and eat some green leafy stuff. You can make whatever the heck argument you want about "no studies link chocolate or fries to acne" but what you put in your body shows on your body. Trust me, improving your interior health is the best way to combat skin problems and be healthier overall.
  • See a dermatologist. And I don't mean some lowkey dermatologist who doesn't listen to you. Do research in your area and see a good derm who will help you. I didn't do this when I was younger and I regret it so much. I visited one derm and she talked to me for 10 mins about a product line she was selling and she left the room. Everyone's body is different, and a doctor could pinpoint your problems much better than yourself. You could be suffering from a Vitamin deficiency or have another issue you're not aware of.

I hope that this thread helps you fight body acne. Feel free to reply with your experiences, questions, and advice. But remember: don't care about what other people think!! I used to be so self conscious of my body acne I would avoid swimming and wearing nice dresses. Now even with break outs I don't give a flying fudge! Make memories and be with loved ones. Years later when you're reflecting on your memories, you'll regret not doing the things you love.

Re: BODY ACNE: WHAT WORKS

Thanks for the tip about the Murad! I've never been able to use any body wash besides Neutrogena Body Clear because of back and chest skin issues. It would be nice if this allowed me to change it up a bit 🙂

Yeah the spray helped me personally a ton. I haven't used Murad's body clear body scrub yet because it's kinda pricey but if you try anything else, please keep me updated 😄

Oh my gosh I used to struggle so much with this when I was younger! Once in a while I still get the occasional breakout, but I've learned that it happens to a lot of people so no need to worry about it! 

Definitely agree with don't care about what people think! A lot of other people have struggled with this and are self conscious about it too. I think that if they see someone who doesn't care either and wears what they want it'll help them do the same. I've gone out with friends to the beach and a lot of us have scarring from the back acne, but we don't care and just go have fun! It's more fun that way (: 

XOXO,
Marieke

YASSS!! All love ❤️

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
Photos2
  • upload_7792275118639452932.jpg
  • upload_6402679059283977403.jpg
testing