hollypocket

Annoyed with Acne!

(0) Hearts

Hey everyone,

I'm beginning to lose my temper with my persistent acne! I've tried so many different acne treatments including Clearasil, Clean and Clear, Clinique 3-Step and medicated gel containing erythromycin (I can't remember it's specific name).

Nothing seems to be helping. I'm really reluctant to try proactiv or something like accutane since I've heard bad things about both. My acne is usually mild but consistent, but now I'm experiencing quite a flare up and I don't even want to go outside! Any advice you guys have would be great!

asdsfgh

Re: Annoyed with Acne!

Go to a dermatologist! Best thing i ever did for my skin

Spieluhr

(0) Hearts

I might be a rarity here, but I actually have found some great help with Philosophy "Clear Days Ahead" line. Origins also has some pretty good stuff, as well.

d0llii3

(0) Hearts

Try Minocyclin. It's a prescription so ofcourse you would need it from your doc. But it's nothing even close to Acutane or Proactiv and I've had no bad side affects. It took about a month for all my acne to clear up and I'm very happy with the results.

voxover

(0) Hearts

Witch hazel is great for calming things down as something you put on your skin at nightime or on on a face towel or cotton ball to soak on your skin. It's an amazing calmer. I recently tried Murad's acne kit for the first time just on my shoulders and back to see how my skin reacted and my festering cysts have deflated even though it's only been two days.

If your acne's serious enough to possibly merit Accutane, maybe see if your derm will let you give clindamycin a try along with trentinoin or clindamycin with BP. These two duos have been found in government clinical trials to be more effective than one topical alone, and I can contend that they are somewhat effective. If insurance won't cover a super expensive brand name of these, ask your doctor and derm if they have samples and get the generics, which are much cheaper.

ManaSmith86

I'm having kinda the same issues and the biggest thing I can say is see your dermatologist about why you might be having the acne. Then try antibiotics and find a skincare routine that's right for you. You might need to try somethings that are out of the box.

Personally I needed to make my routine more gentle, The Drying harsh acne products were making my skin over produce oil, and my cysts were getting worse because of the oil. Now that I've simplified it's calmed down though not completely clear yet. I'm also on Keflex which is an antibiotic they don't usually prescribe because I'm allergic to all the others.

I've tried Murad, Clinique, and countless other lines that didn't work. Right now I'm using Dermadoctor Ain't Misbehavin and with my clarisonic with an acne brush head and it seems to be helping a lot.

I recommend keeping a list of what you've tried and what their acne treatment was and how it affected your skin. That way you can find out what works best for you.

Also I've been told that it takes anywhere from 1 to 2 months for the long term results to show, so make sure you give products that long to work.

Sometimes your skin will get worse before it gets better that's because it's purging all the breakouts that were waiting to come up.

KamKamLove

(0) Hearts

Hi HollyPocket,

I am curious to know what exactly you've heard about Accutane?  Also, def don't waste your money on ProActiv.  They've changed it up so much that my second go round it did absolutely nothing.  But to each their own!

It took me a little over a year to get my skin to look as healthy as it does now.  I still have pigmentation, but nothing a little makeup can't cover up :smileyhappy:

I read somewhere about using Olive Oil on my face.  There are pros and cons to the use and many, many articles on why it's good and why it's not.  I gave it a shot and loved the results!  I used to get those big nasty cystic nodules down my neck and on the side of my jaw/chin.  They hurt and never came to a head.

What I started to do with the Olive Oil is pretty much an oil facial.  In the shower, after you wash your face, apply olive oil.  Rub it into your skin, like you're washing your face all over again.  Rinse with warm to semi-hot water.  This opens up your pores and gets all the extra dirt out.  (Olive oil is an amazing makeup remover!)  If you are not able to do this in the shower, after applying the olive oil, get a warm to semi-hot compress and place it on your face for about a minute.  After you have finished either in the shower or at the sink, rinse your face with cold water and apply a simple moisturizer.  You may look a little shiny and will still be a little oil so before moisturizing, dab your face with a dry paper towel.

"But doesn't olive oil make you break out more?"  In my experience, it did not.  I have combination skin and I was surprised that it worked as well as it did.  I think it also has something to do with climate and how you wash your face.

As far as accutane goes, I have been on it for 1 month and a half and I have seen an incredible improvement, even more so than from before.  My only complaints are the dryness, in which it has only been my lips that are extremely dry, cracked and peeling and a bit of fatigue.  Your body will tell you if something is wrong.  There are side effects to almost everything you use, so just keep that in mind.

Make sure you wear sunscreen EVERYDAY!

KamKamLove

(0) Hearts

Also, drinking lots of water and taking plenty of vitamins helps too!

crayzeeRN

(0) Hearts

Hollypocket (or anyone else considering accutane)- this is a prescription medication, so of course you will speak with a physician before getting this med- but if it is an idea that you are considering, it is a good idea to research this first to see if you can commit to it. It can cause very serious to life-threatening birth complications if you become pregnant while on the medication, and you are required to 'contract' that you will use birth control as advised while on the medication.

jennypenny1995

"What skin type are you?  Oily?"  "Um, oily from it being stripped. It needs a pole."

crayzeeRN

[ Edited ]

Hey hollypocket :smileyhappy:

We all have different skin and sometimes it takes a lot of experimenting to find out what product helps our acne! It took me a long time to find a solution- salicylic acid doesn't do anything for me; neither does benzoyl peroxide. I finally found a solution in tea tree oil. I know you are frustrated, and hopefully some of the suggestions from the people below me are helpful!

My two cents: make sure you are using a good moisturizer. The drier your skin is, the more oil it will produce, and the more acne breakouts you will get. Make sure you are taking your makeup off before going to sleep, and avoid touching your face as much as possible during the day to avoid putting more bacteria on it. :smileyhappy:

jennypenny1995

Nurse high five.  Wish I'd gotten OUR advice waaaaay long ago.  In the past, my skin has been so stripped it could have swung on a pole.

crayzeeRN

(0) Hearts

Hahaha love that phrase! I definitely wish I had discovered BeautyTalk about 6 years ago!

jennypenny1995

(0) Hearts

To clear an active breakout, use benzoyl peroxide twice daily on the spot.  Try to rest your skin by not using makeup for a day or as little as possible (cleanse right after coming home for day).  Clairisonic = disaster for my acne.  Made my skin angry.  Use a fruit enzyme to exfoliate instead (Murad Pomegranate is awesome).  Then, stick with a routine that's designed for sensitive skin.  That's the trick!

hollypocket

(0) Hearts

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Has anyone tried the Clarisonic acne device? It's pricey but I seem to have only read really positive reviews (besides using it on live acne).

roxystar4

(0) Hearts

I have found benzoyl peroxide to be helpful for me. I have been using the Proactiv 3 step program for about 3 weeks now (only 5 times a week, at night). If I use it too much my skin gets red and really dry. This has really helped my acne ! I purchased it on the Proactiv website, i think a starter set was $19.95 total.

Manda

(0) Hearts

I agree with Murad, which seems to have helped me out quite a bit.

Another one that I have found that has helped me out is the Dr. Dennis Gross Daily Face Peels.  I prefer this over Murad, due to the fact that it is much more milder on my face (the Murad cleanser dries out my skin a lot).

beautylovingirl

[ Edited ]

I agree that you should give the Murad Acne Complex a shot. You have to stay consistent on skin care and don't mix anything with this kit everything is put together so there's no guess work and you have to give it more than 2 wks to work. A new skin care routine takes about 4 to  6 wks to see a difference. Nothing is going to make them better without the work.

arielaaaaaaaa

I so Agree on the Murad. I was so fed up with my skin cause nothing worked, But i've been using Murad for about 6 months now and it really helped. It does take time, after a month it was alot better. It was really drying on my skin but i found other products to help with that.

poemelyric

(0) Hearts

I don't know if you've tried it but I use Murad 30 day Acne Complex.  It's worked wonders for my skin but you have to follow it exactly.  It's $35 but it's been worth every penny for me.

FitFan

(0) Hearts

I would say don't try proactiv. Do you have oily or dry skin? Effaclar Duo works well for me for specific acne spots. 

Did you change your diet recently? That could be why you are suddenly experiencing flair ups. 

I've done a natural, household regime that clears up my acne. 

Wash-Mix baking soda with a little bit of water until it forms a paste consistency. 

Toner- witch hazel..or 1/3 water, 1/3 witch hazel, 1/3 apple cider vinegar

And after that, use a spot gel or a moisturizer for the acne.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 8 hearts
  • 17 in conversation
    • sephoralovex
    • arielaaaaaaaa
    • poemelyric
    • Manda
    • jennypenny1995
    • roxystar4