jmcdaniel

Advice for Acne

(0) Hearts

Hello, my acne isn't really that bad. I don't usually have a lot of pimples on my face at one time, but there's always at least one. Here recently it has gotten worse where I get a lot of pimples at one time. I have oily skin but it's also pretty sensitive and it doesn't take much to turn my face red. Right now I only use drugstore products. I just use a clean and clear moisturizer for acne, a Queen Helene clay masque that I use once a week, and a benzoyl peroxide spot treatment. The skincare routine I have right now isn't really working. I would really like to clear up my face and so I'd like some advice on what high-end products I could use. Thanks!

jennypenny1995

Re: Advice for Acne

(0) Hearts

As someone who had blemishes and cystic acne on a daily basis for 10+ years, I understand and have found what really does work:

1. Use only oil-free skin care and makeup products.

2.  Don't use a mechanical or physical exfoliation on your skin.  Toss the Clarisonic and scrubs.  Use an enzymatic exfoliant instead.  (I use Murad's Pomegranate Mask twice weekly.)

3.   Toss the magnifying mirror and keep your hands away from your face.

4.  Stay away from foaming cleansers.  Use a milk formula instead.

cherrybombtastic

(0) Hearts

If your skin has gotten worse since starting your skincare regimen, could it be that your skin doesn't tolerate benzoyl peroxide? I know my acne-prone skin tends to get really really bad if I try benzoyl peroxide products. Also, since it sounds like it's at the beginning stages of getting worse, I would suggest going to see your doctor. I say doctor because dermatologist visits could be quite expensive. When I went to my doctor's, he gave me samples to try before committing to shell out so much money for a prescription. For the time being, I would say switch out the spot treatment for something that doesn't contain benzoyl peroxide, like Origins Super Spot Remover Acne Treatment Gel. I hope this helps and good luck!

gigisd

(0) Hearts

Please take a look at Ole Henriksen's line, which is replete with fruit acids.  You may be a bit sensitive for it, but Mr. Henriksen himself suffered from acne for years and so his products really produce results!  His items care for oily skin and blemishes as well as dry skin/wrinkles at the same time.  My skin hasn't looked this good since my Baptism!  Check out his page.  The products smell luscious, and the fruit acids may be easier on your skin than benzoyl peroxide, which can be tough, irritating, and drying.  Queen Helene works quite well, but you want to make sure to exfoliate regularly (at least twice weekly) and use a toner and a moisturizer even though you're fighting oily skin.  Good luck to you!

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • cherrybombtastic
    • gigisd
    • jennypenny1995
    • jmcdaniel