cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin
|

Acne

Hey guys,

I need a good face process for acne prone, deep cystic acne skin?? I have tried going to the dermatologist but they haven't been helping at all either! A cleanser, moisturizer, and any other recommendations please?

Re: Acne

Hi @minatangerina,

If you're taking medicine from a dermatologist it may still take some for results to appear, so a big key is patience. I went on birth control to help with my hormonal acne and my doctor told me to wait 6 months before she would let me ask her again about any acne medication! 

It's hard to just treat acne with products so @greenchilli gives really good advice. Staying away from certain foods can really help! 

Incorporating some additional products into your routine may also help. Masks, treatments, exfoliators, and a targeted moisturizer are great ways to start! I've linked some below that you may like. (:

XOXO,
Marieke

@minatangerina

Sorry to hear that.  Optimum skincare is a bit of a trial and error.  And it is a slow process.  So make sure you manage your expectations and be willing to adjust.

Ad most importantly, try seeing a dermatologist for guided medical help.  Especially if there is a significant hormonal element.

Things to avoid:

1. Cut out sugar, dairy and too much starch (breads etc).

2. Do not sleep in makeup

3. Do not use acne washes and other such drying products.  They are quite harsh and often make things worse.

4.  Avoid foaming cleansers and scrubs (physical exfoliators).

5. Avoid makeup primers, heavy makeup, long wearing makeup, and other typical skin irritants.  

Things to do:

1. Use gel, oil, and cream cleaners. 

2. Remove your makeup every night using an oil or balm (example - Clinique Take the Day Off ).  Follow up with a gentle cleanser like NUDE Omega Jelly or Ren Evercalm Milk.

3. Incorporate an acid exfoliator into your routine (after cleansing at night).  FAB Radiance pads or Dr. Dennis Gross Regular strength pads 2-3 times at night/week is a good start.

4.  Hydrate your skin well.  Even if your skin is oily, it needs hydration.  FAB and Caudalie have good options.

5. There are some good OTC skincare treatment options that are well reviewed for Cystic acne.  They are worth a try, but each person is different.  

Differin is now an OTC product that treats with Retinol.  You can look into that.  Mario Badescu Buffering Lotion is sulphur based, but is effective.  Renee Rouleu Cystic Acne gel is Lactic acid based and quite effective as well.

This may not cure it all, but are good skincare practices anyway.  You might still need to see a derm to get more help.

thank you so much for the detailed answer!

Hi, Minatangerina!

By chance what feedback or information have you been able to gather from your dermatologist? Is there a particular reason you feel that they aren't helping? If you have access to a dermatologist or dermatology services, I would advise seeking a new adviser that you may feel better understands your concerns and is more willing to work with you in treatment. Seeking second, third, or even fourth opinions isn't out of the ordinary and when it comes to your skin, you shouldn't feel limited or confined to just one professional.

For starters, can you share with us what your current regimen consists of? Are you washing day and night or just at night? Are there any supplementary products you're using such as masks, peels, or scrubs, and how often are they being used? 

Hello,

I have been on minocycline in the past for my acne, which are pills I would take twice a day. I also had a sulfur acne face wash that has been prescribed by my dermatologist. I wash my face every day with the face wash. 

Are you still currently on minocycline? If not, how long ago did you take the prescription and did you see any changes or effects? Was this discussed with your dermatologist (as far as whether anything did or didn't come from it, whether you finished the prescription, or whether you halted it on your own, etc.)?

In addition to the sulfur acne wash, are there any other skin care products you're using? Any moisturizer or SPF? Are you washing once or twice a day? Do you notice any changes or differences with its use?

If you are open to exploring changing to a different dermatologist, you may even wish to look up aestheticians as well, they're a bit more focused and geared toward skin care and regimens versus prescriptions so they may also be able to offer insight as to what items to seek to aid in improving your skin. 

Greenchilli provided great information above regarding daily practices and aspects of lifestyle and daily living to key into. Definitely be sure you're using SPF daily, even if you don't have a set regimen now, it's important to protect and shield skin from UV exposure and environmental aggressors. Once you do incorporate treatments and have a regimen that contains ingredients to improve and bring positive changes to your skin you want to be extra sure you're taking care in preserving those aspects as to not have skin be exposed to the elements and left vulnerable.

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing