Jrsyjen

Acne products that won't damage sensitive skin?

(0) Hearts

I've had oily skin all my life (with a bit of rosacea) and have tried a lot of acne products.  I've used Acne Free, clearasil, St. Ives, clean and clear but had a reaction to all. Proactiv started to work but then I noticed my rosacea acted up and more "angry" acne came.  I then went to Clinique and did their acne set and spot treatment and the acne didn't seem to get affected and I lost pigment on the left side of my nose and cheek and I noticed what looks like some pores have sunk in on my cheek.  Does anyone know of ANY products or home remedies that can help?  I even went to a dermatologist and they said for my scarring (that color the pimple leaves behind) and those sunk in pores to fix would involve a needle and boy I do not enjoy needles lol.

jennypenny1995

Re: Acne products that won't damage sensitive skin?

(0) Hearts

Murad's blue line is phenomenal!  I got clearer skin after 1 use of their Time Release Cleanser.  I've actually gotten much better skin now and have backed down to less potent products because of Murad.  But, yes, you're right--bad products do make our skin "angry"!

cherrybombtastic

(0) Hearts

Have you tried REN's acne line? It's extremely gentle, especially the cleanser. You can also massage your skin without it feeling tight, like a lot of acne cleansers that dry out your skin. I also like Murad's Skin Perfecting Lotion because it's super light without dragging your skin. If you're looking for something that's different from the usual acne-fighting ingredients, NUDE has this cleansing oil for your face & eyes that's pretty good in balancing your skin if your skin is "angry" all the time. If you're looking for temporary home remedies, crushed aspirin with honey is a good way to smooth your skin without using those harsh exfoliation beads. Aspirin acts as salicylic acid, which will help with your acne. I hope this helps and good luck!

drrragon

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

How long did you try the Proactiv for before your rosacea flared up?  And were you using it twice a day?

The Proactiv system contains acne-fighting ingredients that are actually pretty commonly found in both drugstore and high-end brands.  The cleanser contains 2.5% benzoyl peroxide, the toner contains a blend of 6% glycolic acid and witch hazel, and the lotion contains 2.5% benzoyl peroxide. Any of these can be drying or irritating to skin that isn't used to them on a daily basis, so if you start using all 3 at once twice daily, it is not uncommon to experience redness and irritation.

If you still have it, I would recommend giving it another try, but phasing everything in slowly.  Start with just the lotion once every other day, try this for a couple of weeks and see if it causes a bad reaction.  If not, then increase to once per day.  Work up to twice daily.

The next thing to work in would be the toner, and lastly the cleanser, but honestly since your skin is so sensitive you might be better off just using a very gentle cleanser like Cetaphil or CeraVe.  I have eczema myself and found that using only the lotion and not the other two things was pretty effective by itself.

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 hearts
  • 4 in conversation
    • cherrybombtastic
    • drrragon
    • jennypenny1995
    • Jrsyjen