Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Acne-Prone Skin

Acne Scars/Marks

I've had cystic acne for a couple years and fortunately was acquainted with isotretinoin via my derm. Luckily I've been acne free (barring the occasional micro-zit every now and then) but even 2 years later, I still have lingering acne marks on my cheeks. (I'm reluctant to call them acne scars since they do not indent my skin - they just leave behind dark pigmentation...anyway!) 

What are some products/procedures/medications has anyone tried to fade/get rid of pesky marks?

btw right when I my time with iso, my derm said the marks would fade in a year but it's been way over that and no new acne has showed up in those areas.... 

Re: Acne Scars/Marks

@ashanizer Yesterday I posted a list of products I like for this problem, at another thread with a very similar question. If you want to take a look here is the link

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Acne/Hyper-pigmentation/m-p/2674766#M19770

Thank you for the recommendations by proxy! 😄

Hi, Ashanizer!

Post-acne marks, scars, or discoloration can come in a host of ways from dark brown or red spots or even textured regions (either pock marks/pitted "ice-pick" scars or raised scar tissue). 

If you're experiencing areas that aren't necessarily textured but are looking to address hyperpigmentation in the form of dark spots, I would recommend opting into an anti-oxidant serum (especially with use in the day time to shield those areas from any further free radical/environmental aggressor damage) and always practice sun safety with the use of SPF wear daily (this will prevent areas from further darkening with UV exposure as well as help preserve skin's improved and treated state).

For supplementary steps I would recommend a chemical-based exfoliate such as a peel or peel pad to use 1-2x weekly to help slough off dead skin and excess buildup which can clog pores, dull the complexion, and cause uneven texture while supporting healthier cellular regeneration so you're able to help fade dark spots from the "ground up" so to say. 

Can you please share with us what you're currently using for your skin care regimen? Are you still in contact with your dermatologist or using your prescription medications? If so I would also recommend consulting with them in regards to any new skin care items you may be considering to be sure they won't hinder the effectiveness of your prescriptions or cause new issues.

Thank you for such a great response!!

As for my current skincare, I am using a generic face wash (w/ no claims for anything lol), no toner, and Belif aqua bomb/moisturizing bomb interchangeably. Every once in awhile I'll use a sheet mask with E.G.F. and that improves the look of my skin for the day that I use it but no lasting effects - probably because I don't use it consistently. I also use my retinoid cream (with .005% strength) my derm prescribed me every other day or every 2 days since it can be very drying (that was prescribed back in August).

Unfortunately I have not been in regular contact with my derm, last August being the first time I've seen her in two years. The retinoid is the only prescription medication I'm using (other than my insulin haha), so not too sure if any products are perhaps messing with the effectiveness of the retinoid or my skin is just being stubborn. 

Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing