Liss2263

Acne Help

Lately I have been getting breakouts. I usually wash my face everyday but sometimes it can get dry. The cash wash I was using was discontinued and I am unsure what I should buy the replace it. My Skin can go from dry to oily depending on the season. I get pimples and have nasty blackheads. Sometime I get the pimples that get big and are rock hard. I was wondering what would be the best acne wash I can use for my face.

spedteacher74

Re: Acne Help

(0) Hearts

There is a tendency for your skin to get used to certain products.  They will work for a while and then you have to change up.  This is not uncommon for acne products.  As far as the blackheads, I LOVE Johnson and Johnson Clean and Clear Blackhead Eraser.  But it any old store.  Not a fan of the creamy texture, but it works.

Londonlover101

(0) Hearts

try a scrub to get rid of dead skin cells then I suggest a salicylic acid acne wash like one from target or Walgreens then use that but be careful if you have sensitive skin. try a tea tree cleanser or oil free acne wash. Hope this helps and have a nice day!

polishlover10

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

Whatever you do, NO foaming cleansers

ShimmerDust

(0) Hearts

First off, where do you get most of your blackheads? (mine come up on my nose; AWFUL)

Also, how many times a day do you wash your face?

And what does your morning and nightly routines consist of?

Do you wear liquid or powder foundation? Or none at all?

Do you consistently cover your pimples with concealer?

Are you prone to sweating during the day regardless of the season?

I've fixed MANY of my friends' faces with simply good products.

Lemme know; I have a face wash you can use and also some good spot treatments and tools to clear it all up. :smileyhappy:

Liss2263

(0) Hearts

I get most of my blackheads on my nose and chin. I wash my face in the morning and before I go to bed. I wear liquid cover up but try not to use it when I break out. I don't use  a concealer and I rarely sweat unless I am exercising.

ShimmerDust

(0) Hearts

Alright. First off, DO NOT wash your face twice a day; that would explain your dryness problem. There are many great acne washes out there, but I've found that one of the best is one you can mix yourself. Take 1/3 peroxide, 1/3 witch hazel, and 1/3 rubbing alcohol and apply it with a cottonball twice a day; morning and night. To avoid drying out your skin, moisturize with pure, organic coconut oil. If you're stuck on using a product, try Murad's Clarifying Cleanser or Neutrogena's Oil-free Acne Wash with pink grapefruit. Also make sure to exfoliate once a week; you can use St. Ives or even just the pink grapefruit scrub from Neutrogena. Please DO NOT SCRUB your face! Just gently wash in circular motions to avoid irritating the skin. Just make sure to avoid all foaming cleansers! Try to lean towards cleansers that are gel-based.

As for your blackheads, it sounds like they mainly show up on your t-zone (which is very common; it produces a lot of excess oil). I'm the same way, so I use the Sephora brand Smart Dual Action Exfoliator, which is mainly for the t-zone. Or you can try Clean and Clear's Blackhead Eraser Scrub and use that specifically for your t-zone. I've found that it works really well for me!

When washing your face, use warm water, NOT HOT WATER, and always make sure to completely wash away all excess products from your skin; it can get stuck in your pores and clog them. Even though the ingredients help clear up your skin, it's never good to have anything clogging up your pores. When you're finished, splash your face with cold water to help close your pores. (Bonus: you can also use this trick for your hair before heat-drying it and your skin before you get out of the shower) Also remember to DAB, NOT RUB your face dry (it's best to let your body air dry to avoid wiping away all the essential oils). If you want to put something on your face overnight, try Dermalogica's Clean Start Bedtime for Breakouts.

Also, as to your liquid foundation, obviously it's always better to wear no makeup at all, but sometimes that's just not possible. :smileywink: Neutrogena's Skin Clearing foundation is oil-free AND contains salicylic acid, which means you can cover blemishes and treat them at the same time. If you want something with a little more coverage, try Clinique's Stay Matte foundation, which contains no acne-causing ingredients and provides long-lasting full coverage. Always use clean brushes when applying your makeup, (and wash them 2 to 3 times a week) and try and use light strokes. Try and avoid using your fingers; they can house extra bacteria.

Make sure that after you exercise, no matter what time of day it is, WASH YOUR FACE AFTERWARD.

As for a spot treatment, I've found that Kate Somerville's Eradicate Acne Treatment works the best. It has the highest Sulfur amount that you can get over the counter.

I hope this helps! Please message me or let me know if any of this advice helps you! Good luck! :smileywink:

lylysa

[ Edited ]
(0) Hearts

How many pimples do you get in a month? If you experience anywhere up to 12 or 15 it might not be an actual case of acne and using too many or too strong products to treat acne may exhasterbate issues. 

The suggestion for a gentle cleanser is on point as your skin is temperamental and changes with seasons. Boscia does make wonderful products, but also look into Korres, their balancing pomegranate line is great for combination and oily skin be it with or without break outs. A gentle cleanser will ensure you're not overtreating your skin with acne medications but allow proper balance to your skin type rather than target solely the issue. Since face washes get washed down the drain, it's not the most reliable or potent source for your active/treatment ingredients so let your cleanser set the stage for what's to come in terms of skin care. Let  it primarily cleanse, and again, balance your skin type so the products you use after are more affective.

By chance have you tried using a toner? Though they may not be necessary for all skin types, toners are great for oily skin and keeping pores clear. Murad's Clarifying Toner and the Korres pomegranate toner contain witch hazel, a natural astringent to keep pores clear and strengthen them, helping to improve the look of target areas and prevent future blackheads. 

For blemishes that are raised, tender to the touch, or hard, you might try a gentle benzoyl peroxide spot treatment like the On The Spot Treatment from Neutrogena. BP introduces oxygen into pores, allowing for a deeper absorbtion. Aim for a lower dosage as to not dry skin out (this holds true even for salicylic acid, it's easier to ease into a product than to go full steam and overload skin) like 2.5% rather than 5% or even 10%. Tea tree oil is also a natural remedy that can help calm redness and the swollen nature of blemishes, light dot the oil over the blemish with a qtip to apply.

Be sure to follow up in the AM with sunscreen. Choose an oil free formula like ones from Boscia or even a mattifying formula like Murad's Oil Control Mattifier or Peter Thomas Roth's CliniMatte. This will help protect skin and treated areas from sun exposure and free radicals.

colorobsession

(0) Hearts

For me I found that using a gentle cleanser and moisturizer (don't forget SPF during the day!) and spot treating works the best. Everytime I go overboard with the oil controlling and acne clearing products my face ends up looking worse instead of better. I really love Boscia's purifying cleansing gel and revitalizing black hydration gel. For a less expensive option, my dermatologist recommended Cetaphil Oil Controling Face Wash. She also gave me some samples, and I actually really like it. It's balancing without being overdrying. Also, I love love love LUSH's Grease Lightning if you're in need of a good spot treatment. It's just as effective as benzoyl peroxide, but isn't as irritating and doesn't bleach my pillowcases.

jinxski

I had some luck with the Yes to Tomatoes acne collection - although their face wash wasn't my favorite. It's a scrub that you should probably use in conjunction with a gentler face wash, if you decide to go with this routine.

The routine consists of a salicylic acid roller ball, an acne scar fading moisturizer, and the scrub. I think the roller ball actually makes quite a difference for my skin!

I've got combination skin that tends more toward the oily side in humid weather, my acne's been doing better since trying out the products.

Try out the scrub though, it's got ingredients that I don't really see in other drugstore products for acne, namely bamboo and ginger, I think? Can't remember off the top of my head.

Hope this helped, good luck on finding the right face wash! :smileyhappy:

kalex

(0) Hearts

What other skincare products are you using?  I ask because what treatment(s) or moisturizer you're currently using could help in deciding what face wash would be best for you and/or if you might benefit from a new routine entirely!

Liss2263

(0) Hearts

I was using the biomedic treatments. But I am currently using the neutrogena rapid clear cleanser with the toner and lotion. I worked for about a month and now my acne is back.

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 hearts
  • 9 in conversation
    • kalex
    • polishlover10
    • lylysa
    • ShimmerDust
    • colorobsession
    • jinxski