feline5190

Accutane and psychological effects?

(0) Hearts

I know there's been prior posts about Accutane, but I was just wondering if anyone else has any additional insight.  I have oily skin, oily hair, acne-prone skin, etc.  It's gotten much worse actually since I stopped the birth control pill and got the Paraguard IUD (no hormones).  I was hoping it would improve my skin (for some women it does since the hormonal component can worsen acne), but unfortunately for me it seems the extra hormones help my skin.  So I started taking the pill again.  But my dermatologist insists that Accutane is a miracle drug and can clear up acne and oil for good.  My concern of course are the side effects- particularly the psychological ones since I have depression & anxiety.  I could possibly endure the side effects for the duration of the treatment, but I worry that the Accutane will cause long-lasting effects after I stop taking it.  Of course it's impossible to predict if Accutane will cause permanent damage for me, but I'm curious to hear others' experiences, especially if you have a history of mental health conditions.

feline5190

Re: Accutane and psychological effects?

(0) Hearts

I canceled my appointment to start the Accutane (mainly because I'm concerned about the potential psychological and hair loss side effects). My doctor prescribed me the antibiotic Doxycycline, so we'll see what happens with that.  

Dolan

I have pretty bad anxiety and Accutane's only side effect for me was that I would get dry lips and dry skin, but as long as you put Vaseline on your face at night, you can avoid that.

It is a miracle drug.

Cat588

I took Accutane when I was around 16 years old (I'm 24 now) because I had bad acne (both cystic and whiteheads) and nothing else seemed to work. Unfortunatley, neither did the Accutane and I was on it close to the maximum time you're supposed to be on it. It can be the miracle drug for some people (it worked wonders for my sister), but it's not always the case. Honestly, it's a lot of trial and error of finding out what works for your skin. If you're concerned about the psychological side, try it for a month or two, and if you feel fine, keep going. Take it month to month.

falconfrosh12

I used accutane when I was in high school. My acne hasn't been as bad since. But In the last two years my acne has started to get worse.  I am on birth control and in graduate school so I think stress and extra horrmones might be affecting my skin. But I am getting back and chest acne for the first time ever and i definitely get acne all over my face still.  I think accutane is more of a temporary thing.  Overall it helped a lot but I still get acne.

also keep in mind, you cannot donate blood, and it can potentially create birth defects

feline5190

(0) Hearts

I had been taking birth control for 5 years, and 6 months ago I decided to get an IUD (non-hormonal) to see if that would clear up my chronic acne.  It actually made it much worse, and now I have cystic acne and back acne I didn't have before.  So it's interesting, because the extra hormones clear up acne for some people or make it worse for others.  It's impossible to predict what will happen to each individual person.  I started taking the pill again a couple months ago, and my acne has improved somewhat but not completely (still get cysts).  

falconfrosh12

I used accutane when I was in high school. My acne hasn't been as bad since. But In the last two years my acne has started to get worse.  I am on birth control and in graduate school so I think stress and extra horrmones might be affecting my skin. But I am getting back and chest acne for the first time ever and i definitely get acne all over my face still.  I think accutane is more of a temporary thing.  Overall it helped a lot but I still get acne.

jmstew

I took Accutane and it is a miracle drug! Yes there are negative side effects but if your acne is bad it is worth it! I tried many oral and topical prescriptions before I took Accutane but non of them really worked that well I was on it for about it year and even though I had dry peeling skin and lips but once you have finished taking the medication and your acne is gone you will be extremely glad you took it. About mental health side effects, for me it did not make me depressed nor did I have thoughts of suicide. While it has happened to people taking it, it is still rare. The important thing is just to try to be aware of how you are feeling and if you feel bad talk to your doctor. 

LolaVal

Dear Feline5190,

I agree with most of the posts regarding the side-effects of accutane.  I had friends who took it and they had depression, dry skin, dry lips, hair loss, etc.  

I understand that you are frustrated with your skin but I think that you can find a healthier solution than accutane.  I know that you are now on Spiro, but should this does not work, have you talked to your dermatologist about clindamycin?  I have combination skin that is prone to break out under stress and during my menstrual cycle.  When I went on vacation in east asia, my skin freaked out and I started to break out like crazy with some cystic acne and some smaller white heads but they didn't clear up after I got back to the states.  I was so frustrated at that time that I asked my doctor about accutane and she said absolutely not!  She told me that the risks just really outweigh the benefits.  Instead, she prescribed oral clindamycin.  It worked wonderfully for my skin.  It dried up the acne right away and I haven't really had any cystic acne since and it has been 2 years.  

The only thing about clindamycin is that since it is an antibiotic, you need to drink your meds on time and make sure that you drink ALL of them or you will build up resistance to it.  Also, if you are on the pill as a contraceptive, clindamycin may lessen the effectiveness of your pill.  I really would recommend talking to your doc regrading clindamycin.

I hope this helps.  Good Luck!!!

shinyla

I took Accutane for two years in high school, from ages 15-17. I had horrific acne, scarring, oily skin, oily hair, as well as psoriasis on my scalp and body. I also had moderate depression. During that time, I had no noticeable psychological side effects, and in fact I felt more happy because I was starting to feel better about how I looked. I would say if acne and skin oiliness, etc. are severe enough for your doctor to recommend taking Accutane, then it can't hurt to look into it. Just make sure you use consistant birth control (as accutance causes birth defects), and if you start feeling blue, talk to you doctor right away. It also can't hurt to go to talk therapy while taking Accutane, to make sure that your depression and anxiety stay in check! Good luck!!! :smileyhappy:

ashleynne

I was all set to go and entered in the system for accutane but I just couldn't go through with it. There was just too many risks involved. Instead I ended up getting chemical peels and it cleared up my severe acne. I get some tiny ones on my face here and there but nothing like before. I got them routinely done every months. Since my skin has cleared up I'm looking at lasering to take away the scarring/hyperpigmentation. 

feline5190

(0) Hearts

How much do chemical peels cost?  I'm guessing insurance doesn't cover it?  I'm all set to get the Accutane, but I don't think I'm going to go through with it.  Just too risky, and I would probably get at least some of the side effects, since I tend to be side effect prone in general.  

DTalksAll

[ Edited ]

Chemical peels really vary by location & what they include. Shop around on groupon & living social. My med spa always has package deals on there. And one peel is not going to fix it, that's why they are normally sold in a series. 

feline5190

(0) Hearts

Is there any specific type of peel that is best for chronic acne (especially the cystic kind)?  I've never gotten a peel or facial before, so I really have no idea.  I got a Clarisonic about 6 months ago, and I thought it would be a good investment for clearing up my acne for good.  It has helped my face to feel more clean and has lessened my oil production, but the acne still persists.  It sounds like chemical peels may do the job (although my dermatologist insists that nothing topical will resolve acne- oral meds are the best route, specifically Accutane, which he touts as the wonder drug).

DTalksAll

(0) Hearts

Glycolic peels are really strong, just be prepared for dryness & redness. I tend to do peels in the winter when there's less risk of sun sensitivity & I can give my skin time to heal. Most spas/offices will do a free consoltation before they start to make sure you are getting the right treatment. I've never tried it, but I heard good things about acne blue light therapy at the med spas. 

feline5190

(0) Hearts

Thanks for all the advice!  I haven't made a definitive decision yet, I still keep going back and forth.  Ultimately I don't think I'll try the Accutane because of all the potential side effects and the possible side effect of hair loss, which is another one of my concerns.  Although, it is frustrating and painful when I get the cystic acne.  The cysts are sometimes so painful I can't lie on that side of my face on my pillow.  And they take FOREVER to clear up- I really only get one or two cysts at a time, but they take so long to heal- and then there's the scarring.  I tried the Spiro (for acne and hair loss), but it made me more depressed and very lethargic- probably interfered with one of my medications.

dsinae

iItI was taking accutane for three months and had to stop.  It gave me all different types of side effects.  Arthritis, back pain, chest congestion, and when my hair fell like I'm on chemo therapy, I just couldn't continue with the accurate anymore.  Ask your dermatologist for atralin. It's a topical gel, which is amazing.

stumbellina

that is the reason i refused to take accutane. instead, look into spironolactone. for me, it was a lifechanging miracle.

DaisieWilde

I'd say no to Accutane...especially since you have a history of depression and anxiety.

Accutane cost someone I know the ultimate price...and his parents now speak out against the dangers of that drug and its use by folks with mental health histories. 

Listen to your mental healthcare professional.  A derm is NOT qualified to make that call...

krissssxo

Hi there - not sure if you've made a final decision on this yet, but I figured I'd share what I do know.  I've heard lots about Accutane as well, and a few of my friends have been prescribed it and it worked great for them...for their acne.  I also know that it's being regulated pretty strictly here in Canada, because of the dangerous side effects - not only psychological - it's extremely hard on your liver & kidneys.  It's kind of a last-resort, and only prescribed for severe cystic acne.  I'd be weary about taking it - really weigh the risks vs. benefits!  My close friend who took it had really dry skin, and had to constantly apply spf75+ sunscreen, because it does make your skin extra sensitive to UV damage, among other things..He closely followed his Dr's instructions though - NO alcohol, SPF, etc., and those were pretty well the extent of his (visible) side effects.  Good luck!!!!

sdavis23

I have had friends take it and see great results! However, I have heard some horror stories. Apparently there is a new study going to see if Accutane has made people infertile. I feel like if you're tried EVERYTHING, than talk to your talk doctor about it. 

Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments
Conversation Stats
  • 26 replies
  • 19 hearts
  • 19 in conversation
    • keelybt
    • DTalksAll
    • rjm0522
    • shinyla
    • sdavis23
    • ashleynne