kanzii

A little help

Hey :smileyhappy:
Could you please suggest me a nice face foundation, compact powder and concealer for my skin tone.
I have open pores, and a bit pimples too, skin is quite sensitive and skin tone is Asian, not very fair and not dark also. I just can't find the correct product for my face. I want something that would make my face look even and could also be worn to formal night occasions.

lylysa

Re: A little help

In terms of pinpointing specifics for a certain skin tone, without seeing you in person or even having a clear and precise photo it's going to be a tough call.

With that being said, first thing to do (without knowing your undertones and coloring) is to look toward brands with a variety of options for complexion products so there's more of a chance to finding your shade. MUFE, Smashbox, Tarte, Lorac, Urban Decay, Benefit, Becca, and Nars are all brands that offer variety.

Keeping in mind your concerns (pores, occassional pimples, and sensitivity), opt for oil-free formulas as to not provoke any further issues and breakouts. You might want to look into flexible or buildable coverage formulas as well so you can have your make up best match up to what is needed (example, fuller coverage for more formal/dressy events, more natural/light coverage for regular day wear).

For starters, skin care can help play a great role, Peter Thomas Roth's CliniMatte has silica and pea extract to minimize the appearance of pores and mattify skin, giving a smoother look and giving SPF 20 protection, it's also packed with vitamins A, C, and E to nourish skin. Then kick off your make up with a good primer. Primers will help your make up apply and wear more evenly and help address issues like pores, oil, dryness, uneven texture, uneven tone, fine lines, wrinkles, and more. Try Benefit's Porefessional, Too Faced's Primed & Poreless (pink tube), or Hourglass' primers, check out the below thread to read up on the benefits of each one.

http://community.sephora.com/t5/Ask-The-Experts/Really-good-primer-for-pores/m-p/567935#M12362

After priming skin, the options for foundation, concealer, and powder come into play.

Decide whether you want a liquid, cream, or powder foundation. Liquids offer the most flexibility as they come in a range of finishes from matte (good for full coverage and especially oily skin), satin/dewy (flexible coverage, gives skin a hydrated, supple look), to a even a hybrid of the two. Creams are better for dry skin and to give fuller coverage on initial application. Powders are good for oily/combination skin and those who don't like applying liquids or creams, powders also build up to full coverage rather quickly, but too much leads to skin looking chalky if application or formulation doesn't sit well with skin.

For sensitive skin, I say check into Tarte first, it's a line that is void of parabens, synthetic fillers, and sulfates (they're great on labeling what their items are without) and use natural mineral pigments in a variety of formulas (not just the traditional powder form when folks generally think of mineral make up).

swfupload_7186245377138815466.jpg

Their Amazonian Clay foundation is good for combination skin, the Amazonian Clay controls oil and keeps skin from looking too shiny or greasy and wears very well and withstands heat, humidity, and the Summer sun nicely. It also gives medium to full coverage.

swfupload_3118229267257006582.jpgswfupload_3191326094866833777.jpg

There are also kits available from Tarte if you're able to find your shade that contain the AC foundation as well as their liquid concealer, which is long wearing, super pigmented, and flexible enough to use on blemishes, dark circles, areas of redness, and more. It also contains the Amazonian Clay Finishing Powder which helps to mattify skin and smooth the appearance with silica particles. Though silica based powders are meant more so as finishing powders rather than something to be reapplied (check out full details/more info here: http://community.sephora.com/t5/Face/Coastal-Scents-Silica-Powder/m-p/565791#M5824

The kits do come with their multi-use Maracuja Oil, which is derived from passion fruit and is rich in anti-oxidants and will give skin proper hydration as it's a "healthy" oil and not a synthetic (those can clog pores); however, not everyone likes or can use oils, try a test spot on your jaw or over a small blemish to see how your skin reacts. It can be very healing (use a drop or two at max, start slow, and even work it between fingers for a bit then pat/press into skin rather than apply it directly). If it's too heavy for your skin you can use it for hair, elbows, cuticles, and your body.

In that case, if you want a powder with a slight tint, try Benefit's Hello Flawless (which comes with a brush for lighter application/coverage) so you're not relying on just a sponge to pack on powder and have it get too heavy as the day goes on. But if you want a powder that is translucent and more so to touch up shine/oil rather than add some color, try Too Faced's Absolutely Invisible (packed with marine botanicals and vitamins) or Urban Decay's DeSlick Powder.

kanzii

Re: A little help

(0) Hearts

Thank youu soo much for a detailed reply, I appreciate it :smileyhappy:

Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 hearts
  • 2 in conversation
    • lylysa
    • kanzii
Photos3
  • swfupload_7186245377138815466.jpg